Textures lose imaging; washed out appearance

Qballbandit

Hello,

Many years ago, I remember this topic being addressed/discussed, but am not coming up with the correct search keywords to find the discussions. So, I post pics and explain, with hopes that the good folks here can point me in the right direction.

I am running into a situation in a small handful of locations (all of which I have made some kind of scenery modification with EZ Scenery within the vicinity), where when I spend a long enough time within these areas either departing or arriving, ground and scenery objects flip out and go completely washed out on me. I have to fly out a ways of the immediate area, and eventually everything "pops" back.

I only recently encountered this after making some fs9.cfg file changes, which have helped me get the best looking visual world I've had since loading FS9 and my previous add-on's to my WIN & gaming machine.

Below are the key sections I edited in the .cfg file, and the screenshot examples.

What pieces of the .cfg, if the .cfg file is indeed the culprit - might increase the probability of this type of issue?

I am away for a few days, but will respond back - though not able to include further attachments until I return.

[DISPLAY]

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=60 ----> just raised this from 30 to 60, and enjoy a smoother overall look and feel

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=99.000000 ----> settled on these values after many different pat values, great results for me

TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=010.000000 ----> settled on these values after many different pat values, great results for me

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000 ----> settled on these values after many different pat values, great results for me

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000 ----> settled on these values after many different pat values, great results for me

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000 ----> settled on these values after many different pat values, great results for me

TERRAIN_TEXTURES_SCALE=2.0 ----> can't remember if these came from Sascha's (EVO) suggestion? If not from where?

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL_SCALE=2.0 ----> can't remember if these came from Sascha's (EVO) suggestion? If not from where?

Looking good

FSPIC_00061.jpg

Bam! Looking rotten

FSPIC_00062.jpg

Textures gone bye-bye

FSPIC_00062b.jpg

Thanks very much :)

Do you use any objects made by Sidney Schwartz?

He released some updated textures that fixed this very problem.

Look for them in the file library.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Downloaded the 3 sets of replacement files, loaded them (some I already had, some I did not).....same problem in one of the effected areas. Need to check the other two I know had issues.

One of these areas I was having problems with back 7/8 years ago. I removed all objects that I placed with EZ Scenery, and removed the .bgl file, and the whole area would still come up washed out after a few minutes of my plane occupying the area. Still does to this day.

It's like there is a footprint left somewhere that has some corruption. I can only equate it to Microsoft Trainsim, as the terrain is laid out in tiles, and you can clobber a tile when editing/adding scenery objects.

Neil :cool:

You almost certainly still have some object in that area from an unknown source that causes the problem. Uncheck all addon scenery layers in the Scenery Library and then see if it happens there.

BTW, we have found that using DXT format for textures smaller than 128 x 128 can cause this problem - we convert these to 256 colors and it goes away. I think that 64 x 64 is also OK, but we don't take the chance.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Archived