d3d11.dll Error

aharon

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

After few months of smooth flying, FSX has now refuses to open by saying the error message as seen below:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp: 475e17d3

Fault Module Name: d3d11.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16570

Fault Module Timestamp: 5153774d

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00010860

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

So I researched on the internet for solution to the d3dll.dll error problem. The common answer is to remove Windows Update KB2670838 but I do not have that in laptop and looking at past update history in windows 7 shows no evidence of installation of Windows Update KB2670838.

I used FSX's automatic repair method to repair FSX but that did not produce any positive results.

Anybody got an idea?

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

If you used the FSX repair without uninstalling SP2 and SP1 first, you probably made things worse.

Assuming you're running SP1/SP2 (you aren't specific but the version no. refers to that iteration of the sim) then you now need to reinstall (or at least attempt to) SP1 then SP2.

Hi Aharon,

The file is a DirectX file. There are a number of ways you can resolve the issue - some are easy, such as doing a repair or reinstall of Direct X, whilst some of the more preferred options are a bit more complex. However, I would suggest that you use the DirectX diagnostics tool to see what other Direct X issues you may have before deciding on a course of action. To find the tool use the start menu search function - type dxdiag in the search box and it should list the diag.exe file, click on it to run - it will check of your DX install/settings and will list any problems that it finds.

I also suggest that you read this web page - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/d3d11-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm - to get more info on what might have caused the issue and the various ways to fix it other than doing a repair/reinstall of DirectX itself.

WRT your last post and W10 - I am using FSX in W10 (and have done so for about 6 months now) with no problems, as are many other users. If you do a search of the forum on this site or over at AVSIM you will find many threads on the subject. The vast majority of the problems that have been experienced are now well documented and easy to resolve

Regards

Brian

Here is a great link about really checking if an update is installed. Sometimes you run into surprises!!!

I had quite a few that I had no idea were there.

The site is about checking for the famous 'win 10 offer' updates, and how to remove those. But that's not why I send the link.

It also explains very well how to thoroughly check for an installed update. (and how to thoroughly remove it too!!1)

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

Happy flights!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aharon,

It appears that the actual faulting file is specifically for DX 11. So first I would check to see if yo have DX9 installed (FSX's required version). An easy way to find out what DX versions are installed is to run a search for d3d*.dll on the C:\ drive - this will, depending what version of DX you have installed and your GPU's capabilities, show numerous files with names such as d3d9, d3d10, d3d11 and possibly d3d12.

If DX 9 is missing simply download and install it - if it is present then there maybe an issue with it. Likewise to fix the DX 11 error it may be best to download and install the latest version of it from MS.

Another option is to run the System File Check (SFC) utility. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

WARNING If you have modified your system files (including Windows DLL files) running SFC may, if errors are found, revert the some of the system files back to the default state and thus may impact on any other apps/programmes you have installed. In my experience most of the time any affected programme take a little longer to open first time after SFC has been run as it has to re-write information to the appropriate .dll file. In rare cases it may result in having to re-install the affected software (although I have never had to do this myself). I strongly recommend you backup any important data before hand and run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to start > run, type CMD and click OK.

The resulting window should show an entry similar to this - C:\Users\youracctname>

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter

If you just want to verify only type sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and /) - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a list of any errors found.

If you want to find and repair errors type sfc /scannow (again note the space between sfc and /) - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the one of the messages stated above. If is also worth noting that you may have to run the utility several times to fix all the problems.

Regards

Brian

Longbreak754,

Agreed with you that it is software or file problem or Windows problem meaning it is hard for me to fix.

I already done sfc /scannow before you made correct post asking for this scan. The results showed no problems.

I have D3D9 file in laptop.

Problem is do not know how to fix hence my inclination to buy new laptop although I do not want to abandon my four year old laptop although old but STILL powerful and fast!!

Hope my next plan is to uninstall SP1 and SP2. Then use FSX's automatic repair DVD to repair FSX. Then reinstall SP1 and SP2 but I have feeling it will not help.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

The only other advice I can offer is to try re-installing the latest versions of all of the DX versions you have already installed and/or the Sony drivers for both the GPU and, if separate, the soundcard. Most people forget that the soundcard also uses DX drivers.

By re-installing you have got nothing to lose as the installer will only install any missing/corrupt/incompatible files unless you tell it to replace all files. If you replace all files, any out of date files will be updated when the OS next updates.

WRT the Sony drivers - Are these updated automatically? If so, the Sony based driver may be the cause of the problem as it could be incompatible with your GPU or the update was corrupted. If recently updated, you could try rolling back to the last driver and test. If the problem is resolved you could then keep the old driver and cancel auto updates or manually install the latest driver and test. If the fault re-occurs then that would definitely point to a GPU/driver incompatibility which you could then bring to the attention of Sony, if the fault doesn't re-occur then it would prove that the original update process was the cause.

Regards

Brian

do you have a d3d11.dll file in the fsx folder? If so, try renaming that to d3d11.dll.bak and test.

If no d3d11.dll file in the fsx folder, then look for a d3d9.dll file and rename that to d3d9.dll.bak and test.

These files are from reshade/sweetFX.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last year I switched off automatic updates for Windows and Nvidia because I had to correct crashes due to new updates. Never had a problem since (only the usual things with FSX addons not playing together. But my PC is dedicated to simming, so I can get away with it.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Archived