New Flight Sim Computer - Thinking to do FSX-SE Stand Alone

dnpaul

I have a new i5 based computer coming to upgrade my flight sim setup. I plan to use a standalone install of FSX-SE. I wanted to see if anyone is aware of any compatibility or install issues with my addons:

Orbx FTX Global and Scotland

UTX USA

Active Sky Next

Rex Soft Clouds

Payware FSUIPC

Aerosoft Airbus A318/319 and A320/321

CaptainSim 707

CaptainSim 727

CaptainSim 737

CaptainSim 777

CaptainSim L1011

Coolsky DC-9

PMDG MD-11

PMDG JS4100

PMDG 737NGX

QuailityWings 757

QualityWings BAe-146/Avro

CLS MD-80

Feelthere ERJ-135/145

Majestic Q400

All of Dave Maltby's freeware jets (Trident, BAC-111, Comet, VC-10)

I think that's it.

Also any other tips / caveats / jeers / encouragement would be welcome!

I am going to be running under Win 7-64 Pro.

I do own FSX-Boxed and Acceleration disks, but I'd like to go with Steam going forward.

Your i5 is not going to be able to run all that.

My 2009 vintage Dell Inspiron with a Pentium E6700 @3.2Ghz and an ATI middle of the road graphics card does it fine. Not with sliders all to the right, but not all left either. I have some features disabled in UTX and use the meduim textures for it. ASN is tweaked a bit and certainly not maxed out. Really the only time I get a slide show is when I run the CS 777 at a big detailed airport with a bit of weather.

I do have a couple of things tweaked in my CFG file, and I have frames locked at 20.

I am expecting this new system to be able to do more, but not expecting maxed out everything!

So I spent the 3-day weekend putting the OS and FSX-SE and my addons on the new PC.

It was, as usual, a pain in the neck! But I am VERY pleased with the results. So far, the only addon that has issues is the PMDG JS4100, and they have stated that a fix will be coming for that when they are done with the new 747.

The new system rocks! I am running with almost all sliders max, except for I have max texture set to 30cm (and my UTX USA are set to 30cm also). I don't run lens flare or light bloom because I don't really like the effects.

Running with frames locked at 40. The CS 777 dips into the mid to low 30s occasionally in clouds, but the old system used to be a slide show with that plane in anything but clear weather and rural areas. NYC was a no go with that plane before!

The one thing I had to do with the PMDG NGX at JFK was turn off scenery ground shadows. That made a huge difference. It was a little choppy on takeoff with shadows on. Smooth as silk with them off.

The only changes I made to the .cfg file were WideViewAspect and Highmemfix.

I am not a big frame-rate watcher--I just want smooth performance. I can't get over how smooth it is running. Really nice.

Archived