Recommended configuration and equipment for flight school

Guest merconimo

Guest merconimo

Dear community,

We are a flight school that wants to put more emphasis on practical pilot’s knowledge (with “demonstrate” as one of the keywords, FMS/Autopilot/ECAM basic skills, flight control laws etc.) during theoretical instruction for ATPL.

As VPT and VFD are too expensive for our budget, I am considering an idea to include Prepar3D into our integrated theory training for ATPL level.

So during the course and on final theoretical exam, our students should have the ability to “demonstrate” or “show” on a computer practical exercises:

- Management of Flight Path skills (FMS initialization, cross check data inputted into FMS and correct errors)

- Control a simulated aircraft’s vertical and horizontal flight using automation

- Demonstrate mode awareness of autoflight (engagement, transitions, mode reversion)

- Selection of appropriate displays, range and information on navigation display

- Understanding EICAS and ECAM

- General preparation of an aircraft for flight, including FMS initialization

- KSA and TEM during taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, descent

- Upset Prevention and Recovery Training

Segments of our theoretical lectures (in AGK, Instruments, Navigation) would end with practical exercises on Prepar3D in the classroom, which I think would be a great way to apply knowledge and prepare for final exam.

Our preferred type for this training is Airbus A320.

Here are my questions regarding hardware, having in mind that we want to establish a small "quazi-simulator" to be used for students' exercises (trainer if you will):

1) Please give me some advice on recommended PC configuration for this purpose (for smooth graphics and fast response)?

2) Is it OK to use laptop for this purpose? Or desktop machine is more suitable (lower cost, ease of replacing the parts - improving RAM and Graphics Card in the future, less heating etc.)

3)What would be the best flight controls equipment to use - is there a joystick with A320 "sidestick" look & feel ? What pedals should we use? Is there a separately sold MCP/FMC hardware that could integrate with P3D?

4)Is it realistic to have one central (or more) touchscreens to use with P3D, where students could touch the controls (would like to have overhead panel shown separately, main instrument panel, and FMS for example), what would be the best sizes/models of monitors for this purpose, any experience with using touchscreen with P3D? What graphics card should we use having in mind that we would have, say, three output screens and project to projector in the same time?

Thank you in advance,

Mirko Novakov

CTKI – Chief Theoretical Knowledge Instructor

Flight school from Europe

Archived