Zhyhulskiy An-12 - I love the a/c, but hate those chocks!

martinstebbing

An12.jpg

This is a great a/c to fly, with a pretty nice panel and VC. But those chocks!! Why did Mr. Zhyhulskiy link them to the mixture? What that means is that, unless you have the mixtures at fully rich when taxiing, the chocks are on. And with the mixture at fully rich the a/c wants to run away at great speed on the ground and is virtually uncontrollable (I use Rob Barendregt's groundhandling/taxi gauge to control it as far as possible, but the brakes are constantly slamming on; or, just turn a blind eye to the chocks and taxi with them on!). As soon as you reduce the mixture (and the a/c then behaves properly), the chocks come onto the wheels.

I am guessing that this is not fixable, sadly? I think it must be in the model - removing the 3 cab files in which the gauges reside does not eliminate the chocks. Does anyone know, by any slim chance, of a way to remove the chocks entirely from the a/c, or of moving them off Ctrl+Shift F4/F1?

(You could of course change the mixture assignment in FS9 to something other than Ctrl+Shift F4/F1, but that would impact many other a/c. Make a special fs9.cfg just for the An-12? That would do it I suppose, but a very 'messy' workaround...).

Martin

I just tried it and it works fine but takes getting use to it! CTRL+Shift+F4/(F1) Mixture Control is basically fuel on/off for turboprops. Using the CTRL+E start and then pressing CTRL+Shift+F4 provides fuel for engine start and removes the chocks. That should be good for all taxiing, takeoff, flying, landing, etc. Once parked and parking brake engaged then use CTRL+Shift+F1 to cut fuel to shut off engines and make the chocks appear.

I did a short circuit flight out of L08 (5000 foot runway) and landed no problems!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I did try a different air file before I posted (sorry, I should have said), the default KingAir 350, with no result (chocks still there) and I tried to find an element in the An12 .air file that would account for the chocks, but unsuccessfully.

I didn't mess with the aircarft.cfg file though, so I'll do as you suggest and see what happens.

Thanks. (I'll post back of course with results!).

OK, tried this - changed the aircraft.cfg file and air file, but chocks are still there. They go off, as the designer imagined, when you start to taxi, but only if the mixture control (Ctrl+Shift+F4) is on full, when, as I say, the a/c is WAY too lively. It shoudn't be set at full like that until you start your take off roll. If you tone down the mixture to realistic levels for taxiing, the chocks are there again (in fact, as soon as you reduce from 100%).

Ctrl+Shift+F4 is not an on/off affair of course, in my setup at least, it progressively increases the mixture richness (and with F1, decreases it again). It is a shame the a/c is set with chocks on unless mixture is at 100%. I can't get it to work any differently I'm afraid. I am 99% sure it's hard-coded like that into the mdl file, which is not editable I think.

Thanks....

Is this the same aircraft, I downloaded it but there were no chocks, it said something in the readme about it being updated:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2769/fs2004-antonov-an-12/

Nope! Try this one:

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Turboprops FS2004 Antonov An-12BK

[ Download | View ]

Name: an12bk09.zip

Size: 68,839,327 Date: 03-08-2009 Downloads: 5,902

AN12BK09.GIF

fbq1.giffcq1.gif FS2004 Antonov An-12BK v2. Full pack. Includes two versions. By Vladimir Zhyhulskiy. Includes some textures by following authors: D. Smirnov, A. Doronin, A. Vysokovskiy. Also includes sounds by Mike Maarse. (Previous version had 2398 downloads)

I downloaded from the link Mr Zippy posted, I got no chocks plus it was great to taxi and fly, have I got the right AC here, the cockpit panel was very good too, very sharp textures, I liked it.

CTRL+Shift+F1 should give you the chocks. CTRL+Shift+F4 removes the chocks and is the fuel on for engine start. Shall I post screenshots?

No it's Ok, I must be missing something here, I thought the OP didn't want to see the chocks, the aircraft was already engines running and no chocks, I backed off the stand and taxi to runway, took off no problems.

So should I have the AC with the engines off so I need to press CTRL+Shift+F4, if that is the case no wonder I got no chocks.

No it's Ok, I must be missing something here, I thought the OP didn't want to see the chocks, the aircraft was already engines running and no chocks, I backed off the stand and taxi to runway, took off no problems.

So should I have the AC with the engines off so I need to press CTRL+Shift+F4, if that is the case no wonder I got no chocks.

If engines are running then press CTRL+Shift+F1

chocks.JPG

no chocks.JPG

Disregard what the engines look like in the shots!

Archived