Problem installing FSX on Windows 10 64 bit

flyboy1370

Hi,

What .dll are we taking about?

Although the info you have provided is sketchy, it is seems like that you either don't have MS Visual C++ 2005 installed or the current install of C++ 2005 is damaged - the first seems to be common with a pre-installed W10 system and the second seems common when an upgrade from W7/8 is performed. C++ 2005 is required by FSX to run.

Go to the following links and download the latest versions - note, as you have a 64 bit install you will need both 32 and 64 bit versions installed

32 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

64 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471

Run the installer by right clicking on it and selecting Run As Administrator from the menu. When you run the installer if it finds a reference to C++ 2005 in the registry it will offer a repair option as well as a full install - go with the repair option as it is a lot quicker and will replace any missing and/or corrupt files.

Once you have installed them reboot and try installing FSX again BUT only after you have removed all elements of the failed install as this may cause other installation related problems. This includes using a registry cleaning tool such as Ccleaner to remove any associated registry keys relating to the failed install.

It is also worth noting that there are a number of version of C++ available and all are separate entities that happy co-exist on a system. For an app to run it must have the appropriate version installed that it was coded for. If you go the Program and Features page within Control panel you will likely see multiple entries for Visual C++ versions - never delete any of these as they will be used by other apps.

Regards

Brian

• 2 months later...

Hi all--

New to this forum, but have a big question. Recently purchased an i7-3930 CPU with a 3.2GHz processor, 32 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 10 OS. I have tried to install FSX numerous times, with reboots and drive restores, but keep getting the following errors at the end of Disk 2 installation:

"Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

and....

"Error- 1603 Fatal error during installation.

Consult Windows installer help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information."

I have run CCleaner to remove potential old files, but still no luck. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

The install failed the first time, but it already installed the registry entry's for fsx.

Now the installer/computer 'thinks' that fsx is already installed. You need to remove the registry entry's for fsx before installing again.

To do this you need to run kb928080.

Here are the instructions how to run it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928080

the link on that page for downloading the kb928080 file no longer works.

But the file is still available on a website called Simviation.

(it may be found there as kb928080, but you can also find it if you search for resetsldl.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...

[quote=il88pp;1997the link on that page for downloading the kb928080 file no longer works.

But the file is still available on a website called Simviation.

(it may be found there as kb928080, but you can also find it if you search for resetsldl.) 698](that post was for bohlkenh)

I have been trying to reinstall FSX and have visited many forum and Microsoft with no good results. Microsoft just says they no longer support this even when I told them all I needed was kb928080. I found your post and thought I was all set, but that file seems to not be available at Simviation either. What can I do?

I have been trying to reinstall FSX and have visited many forum and Microsoft with no good results. Microsoft just says they no longer support this even when I told them all I needed was kb928080. I found your post and thought I was all set, but that file seems to not be available at Simviation either. What can I do?

Google Search is always reliable! https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18934/fsx-resetsldlexe/

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived