RTW Retro Flight #R65 Rome to Frankfurt . . . . . . 1961

NMLW

Lufthansa Flight 331 is a Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation on a 601 mile flight from Rome to Frankfurt (LIRA - EDDF). We have 6,000 gallons of fuel on board for this flight of about 2 hours and 25 minutes. The weather is fair with light cloud cover. We will be cruising at an altitude of 20,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation. The model and original textures are by Manfred Jahn, panels, gauges, and animations by Hansjoerg Naegele, flight dynamics by Luis Pallas, wing view angles by Bill Tyne and Andreas Trapp, lights and exhaust effects by Roland Berger, checklist and documentation by Volker Boehme, flight test and handling research by Stefan Werner. The 1955 Lufthansa livery is by Tim Scharnhop.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper at www.calclassic.com

Scenery: FS2004 v9.1 Standard and:

- Rome Ciampino 1960 is by Wolfgang Gersch at www.calclassic.com

- Frankfurt Rhein-Main from the Central Europe 1961 scenery by Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Michael Schneider, Jaap de Baare, Nikko Yaginuma, Tom Gibson, Bernard Leuenberger and Mike Stevens at www.calclassic.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries V4 by Wolfgang Gersch.

- REX FS9 w/Overdrive enhancements for sky, cloud, weather, water/waves, runway, taxiway textures, sun and runway lighting.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II.

- HDE 2.0 grass texture enhancement by Pablo Diaz.

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

L-1049G_Lufthansa_01.jpg

Flight plan filed, passengers loaded and engines started.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_02.jpg

Taxiing out to Rwy. 15 for departure.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_03.jpg

Liftoff and packing up the gear.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_04.jpg

Turning toward our initial course of 342 degrees.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_05.jpg

We are climbing through 6,500 feet near the small community of Magliano Romano.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_06.jpg

Approaching 9,000 feet over the town of Civita Castellana noted for the beautiful Santa Maria Maggiore Cathedral.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_07.jpg

About 125 miles from Rome we are at our cruising altitude of 20,000 feet. Lake Trasimeno (the fourth largest in Italy) is below us.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_08.jpg

We are now over the Italian Alps several miles northwest of the city of Trento, Italy.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_09.jpg

Off our right wing we see Lake Resia in the South Tyrol region of Italy just a few miles from the borders of Switzerland and Austria.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_10.jpg

Having passed over the northeastern tip of Switzerland we are now over the Austrian Alps near the popular sports resort village of Stuben.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_11.jpg

As we pass near the village of Hittisau, Austria we leave the tallest of the Alps behind us.

More in the reply . . . . . . . . .

Larry

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

L-1049G_Lufthansa_12.jpg

We are over Germany near the town of Ravensburg about 70 miles from Stuttgart.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_13.jpg

Just past Heidelberg and about 50 miles from Frankfurt we begin out initial descent.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_14.jpg

With the city Weinheim off our left wing we are descending though 11,000 feet.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_15.jpg

Descending through 7,500 feet with Darmstadt just behind us.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_16.jpg

Down to 5,000 feet ATC has vectored us slightly toward the northwest to put us into the landing pattern at Frankfurt.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_17.jpg

At 4,000 feet and about 15 miles out we turn toward the airport.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_18.jpg

Lining up our approach to Rwy. 7R at Frankfurt-Main. The gear is down and flaps at 80 percent.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_19.jpg

On short final with flaps 100 and everything looks good.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_20.jpg

Touchdown.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_21.jpg

Taxiing to the terminal.

L-1049G_Lufthansa_22.jpg

Parked, passengers disembarked and systems shut down. Thanks for flying Lufthansa.

Larry

Great old plane!! But then all the old planes shown look great!! I'd love for every one to be in my hanger!!:cool::cool:;)

Michael

PS: As much as I love the Super Connie, I'll never willing take a flight from California to Hawaii in one again!:eek::eek:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Oh wow! The retro traffic looks awesome as well. :)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.†- Leonardo da Vinci :pilot:

Beautiful shots! Wing view looks great.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

very impressive...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Thank God there is another screenshot poster who describes each screenshot with great details and explanations!!

Great descriptions on each of your screenshots!

Regards,

Aharon

Hey Aharon,

It's not that many of us don't want to add descriptions. It's just that few of us are as talented at that as you and NMLW. I've tried a few times, but it's obvious I'm out of my league in that regard!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived