FTX Central doesn't show OpenLC modules

dawaske

Hello everyone,

first a all I hope this is the right place for posting my issue. If not, please move it to the proper subforum @ moderators.

A friend of mine, who had to give up "flying" after becoming a dad, recently sold me (for a very good price) his entire FSX setup including his computer, flight yoke system, Steam Account with FSX Premium Edition and several FSX addons such as FTX Global Base, Global Vector, Global OpenLC Europe + NA Alaska/Canada and FS Global 2010 :) The first thing I did was of course format all hard and solid state drives in that computer and reinstall Windows (8.1 Pro) to have a completely fresh system I can play with. Having configured everything to my liking over the last couple of days, last weekend I finally found the time to install FSX and this is when the problems began :(

Installing FSX Premium through Steam was of course trouble-free; however, after installing FTX Global Base, Global Vector and Global Europe + NA Alaska/Canada (in this order, following the instructions in the respective Quick Installation Guides), the FTX Central Control Panel still only contained FTX Global Base, with no sign of the OpenLC packages whatsoever. OpenLC entries did appear in the "Entry FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points"-section, though, which makes me think that its installation was indeed recognized by FTX Central. My question now is, of course, how can I make my OpenLC Europe and North America packages show up in the Control Panel?

Thank you for your help!

Hello everyone,

first a all I hope this is the right place for posting my issue. If not, please move it to the proper subforum @ moderators.

A friend of mine, who had to give up "flying" after becoming a dad, recently sold me (for a very good price) his entire FSX setup including his computer, flight yoke system, Steam Account with FSX Premium Edition and several FSX addons such as FTX Global Base, Global Vector, Global OpenLC Europe + NA Alaska/Canada and FS Global 2010 :) The first thing I did was of course format all hard and solid state drives in that computer and reinstall Windows (8.1 Pro) to have a completely fresh system I can play with. Having configured everything to my liking over the last couple of days, last weekend I finally found the time to install FSX and this is when the problems began :(

Installing FSX Premium through Steam was of course trouble-free; however, after installing FTX Global Base, Global Vector and Global Europe + NA Alaska/Canada (in this order, following the instructions in the respective Quick Installation Guides), the FTX Central Control Panel still only contained FTX Global Base, with no sign of the OpenLC packages whatsoever. OpenLC entries did appear in the "Entry FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points"-section, though, which makes me think that its installation was indeed recognized by FTX Central. My question now is, of course, how can I make my OpenLC Europe and North America packages show up in the Control Panel?

Thank you for your help!

Two things immediately spring to mind:

1: Did you run the installers `as Administrator`. If you didn't set your pristine Win 8 system up correctly (UAC, permissions, Adminstrator rights etc etc.) then you may have run into the over-zealous protection of a modern(ish) Windows OS or your anti-virus

2: You haven't mentioned installing the FTX file libraries. Have you?

3: Installed the FTX Global AFTER the landclass by any chance? In which case just reinstalling 2 above should fix it.

FTX central has just been upgraded so we don't have to configure each land class each time or run hybrid mode.

i.e. that is ti say if you have LC Europe and LC England installed the switch across the english chanel will be made instantly so no need to configure one then the other. But thats to say they should still show up in the FTX summary directory.

have you done an prate on the Libs and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ? which version of FTX shows up?

I would also suggest posing the same questions on the orbx forum. Yo may get a quick answer there ?

Ok so first of all thank you guys very much for the quick replies! And now to the questions:

1: Did you run the installers `as Administrator`.

I did not execute the Installer by clicking right and pressing "Run as Administrator". However, after double-clicking the install.exe UAC popped up asking if the software is allowed to make changes to the computer, which I confirmed. Wasn't this enough?

2: You haven't mentioned installing the FTX file libraries. Have you?

What exactly are those FTX file libraries if I may ask? Aren't they installed with the rest of the program?

3: Installed the FTX Global AFTER the landclass by any chance? In which case just reinstalling 2 above should fix it.

I installed FTX Global first, then FTX Vector and finally FTX OpenLC.

have you done an prate on the Libs and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ?

I'm afraid I can't follow, so probably not :( How does this work?

which version of FTX shows up?

Honestly, I have no idea, where can I see that?

I would also suggest posing the same questions on the orbx forum. Yo may get a quick answer there ?

That I already did, just to be informed that only the initial owner of ORBX products is entitled to support :(

Sry for all the (probably) dumb questions, I'm really new to all this.

FTX Libraries MUST always be added last. Go get them from the FTX freeware section

https://fullterrain.com/support#orbxlibs

This is a necessary step that is covered in the supporting documentation.

It's a 1.3 gig download and will update all necessary files, including the latest version of the FTX Central. It will also carry out some behind the scenes updates to how the FTX/ORBX scenery elements are integrated into the sim.

And in answer to your other question, no it is NOT enough to allow UAC. Pretty much ALL installers (.exe) these days require the owner to allow them to `run as administrator` to effectively and completely install.

sorry i was on a phone earlier hence the typos

'have you done an prate on the Libs and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ?'

should read , have you done an update on the Orbx Libs (library updates) and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ? All libs updates should be done last to ensure all latest elements are up todate and correctly layered.

I would uninstal all the orbx stuff and go through slowly once again the instals.

sorry i was on a phone earlier hence the typos

'have you done an prate on the Libs and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ?'

should read , have you done an update on the Orbx Libs (library updates) and within FTX central ran the updates across all components. .LC and areas etc ? All libs updates should be done last to ensure all latest elements are up todate and correctly layered.

I would uninstal all the orbx stuff and go through slowly once again the instals.

No, you don'tt need to do that. Simply install the library and the updated FTX Central and then let FTX Central sort it all out.

I already restored Windows from an Acronis True Image-backup I made just before installing all those addons (thank god I did :) ). I will go on vacation for a week now, which means FSX has to wait for now. But when I come back I'll do everything you suggested (as opposed to the last time) and report what happened. Thank you guys again for helping me out here!

----------------Update----------------

I finally found the time to reinstall FSX + Addons again yesterday, which I did as follows (all with "Right Klick -> Run as Administrator" except with Steam of course):

1. Install FSX Premium Edition through Steam

2. Install ORBX FTX Global

3. Install ORBX FTX Global Vector

4. Install ORBX OpenLC

5. Install latest ORBX libraries

Unfortunately, the result was identical to what I "achieved" before, i.e., OpenLC didn't show up in FTX Central. Any other ideas?

---

Is there really no one who can help with my problem :(

Archived