Airport Ground Textures 'peel back'

martinstebbing

This is an issue that has been posted in any number of threads, but I have never really found an explanation, apart from 'elevation problems' (can so many airports have this error??), let alone a real 'cure' ...

On landing, ground textures peel back, revealing whatever is underneath, like in the screenshot below (though I am sure most people know what I mean!) - the texture around the aircraft disappears as you taxi, leaving the darker (default?) ground texture underneath. It happens annoyingly often, at both payware and freeware airports. If you reload the airport, all is fine again, and it almost never occurs on departure, only on arrival. And if you view from a high enough angle, the problem is also not visible.

I have given up making flatten files, as, though they sometimes help, it surely happens too frequently to be an error, per se, in the scenery bgl files.

Anyone have an explanation? Too much to hope for, a (global?) cure, I guess!

Bit fed up having so many flight ruined like this: the crazy 'flickering' is so distracting of course. And it's awful to troubleshoot: as soon as you reload the airport, the problem has vanished!

Thanks...

Texture_1.jpg

I think we have all been plagued by this to varying degrees, and it seems there is no across-the-board solution because different situations can cause the anomaly. Two things recommended to me work frequently, but not always - tinker with scenery layering in the area (I once had to remove the pertinent files for a single airport from a scenery package and add them to their own folders as a separate scenery); or create an exclude file for the scenery beneath the airport in question and make sure it loads before that airport.

What my simple mind gleaned from a technical description is that hard coded parameters in the sim determine what is visible based on viewpoint and priorities in the 3D models (implication was there were parameters in the airport files which also affected this). This also applies to aircraft - I have an otherwise nice SeaBee where the prop is visible from certain angles when it shouldn't be.

Hi. I don't know how these sceneries were created, but the screenshot above is of an airport produced by one leading developer for FS9 and FSX (I'll name no names!). I have created a flatten file anyway and I'll see how it goes - sometimes this resolves the issue, other times not.

Interesting idea to create different entries in the FS library for different bgl files. If the problem is an overlay (as above), do you place the bgl files in question at a higher or lower priority? I can give it a go, but results take ages to verify, as was said!

You say to create an exclude file, but what does the 'exclude file' exclude exactly?

I have found that separating any landclass (or photoscenery background) .bgl's and textures into their own folder can help. Higher or lower priority than the scenery itself doesn't seem to matter in my experience. The exclude .bgl, where necessary, excludes all.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

... but what does the 'exclude file' exclude exactly?

As I understand it, the exclude file tells the sim to ignore everything in its boundaries loaded before the file, so only scenery loaded later will appear.

Archived