Getting into Flight Simulation

20jguest

Hi all,

I want to get into flight simulators but I don't how to go about getting into the hobby. Firstly, what software should I use? I was thinking about using Xplane10. Secondly, should I build my own pc or buy a pre made? If I built my own pc parts would I use and where could I buy them from?

Thanks

Welcome to the "World of Craziness"! Start by looking through the different forums on the site, X-plane, FSX, FS2004, Screenshot, and the PC hardware forum.

You should get plenty of info from those places on aircraft, scenery, and the type of hardware you will need to run 'em. Good Luck!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

..what software should I use? I was thinking about using Xplane10...

Yes, that and FSX are currently the most popular.

I've had both, they're very good but neither are perfect, for example X-Plane10's light aircraft aerodynamics have drawn criticism, and FSX rudder control can be weird at times.

On the other hand, X-Plane10 is easy to install and run and you get nice crash animations with wheels and bits flying off if you land too hard.

FSX can be a bit trickier to install and run, and there are no crash animations, just a boring "crash" message.

If you want to play safe, you could consider getting dear old FS2004, it's still very popular and easier than FSX to install and run, AND you don't need a high-end super-duper PC to handle it..:)

• 4 weeks later...

before spending out lots on pc build etc. .trial dovetails flight school and see if flight summing is for you.

Personally Im fsx all the way until there is a true 64bit flight sim available with all the fsx bells and whistles, ( sorry dcs). . spend a few hours on dovetail flight school and then decide of you want to either wait for the extended version of flight school to be born, may be some way off yet or perhaps go in to the world of fSX . Im old school with box version but is now available on steam at a good price.

try and buy perhaps?

For me I would have to start recommending X-Plane 10. FSX is bloated technology that is really starting to show its age. Additionally, the flight dynamics in X-Plane feel so much nicer than FSXs. X-Plane also has an extremely deep and thriving Freeware community, full of some frankly top notch stuff at no cost. However, FSX is still the most popular sim currently, so if you want to be part of the bigger sim, FSX would be the best option.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I always hear this kind of thing about xplane 10. The real problem for me when I got xplane 9 is how empty the sim feels for having so much content from the get go. call me neive but I'd like at least some challenges and missions to tackle to have 'fun' while flying. Xplane felt joyless to me. I had so much excitement for it. I respect and appreciate its flight model physics etc. I just don't think it's much fun for anyone other than real pilots with extensive experience with sims from the get go. It never really said "hey, welcome " here's a ton of links to gokd videos and missions to get you better at xplane right from the get go. I wouldn't even mind a stop / train / demonstrate method for the first flight, where action is stopped, a command or method or tactic is taught, and then we do it and see it happen . Console games have been doing this for years. Think of it as an interactive instruction manual, aka, level 1. Sure there's no levels in a flight sim, but anyone new to a sim should be given some opportunities to practice and demo with help.

Time and time again I hear how fsx hooks people fast. I hear guys say it's 'more welcoming' to noobs, etc. Not sure how welcoming it will be, but frankly likely devote more time to flight school and DCs anyways. Fsx was purchased with the goal of learning to fly (and master) the sr71.

Archived