TrackIR won't function with suplementary software?

alexzar14

Ever since I bought TIR-5 I never used it with FSX/P3D, because it is not usable and I don't get the view I see people have on youtube.

What I see when I load (any) plane is the top of panel as if my head was all the way near the ceiling of the cockpit, 3/4th of the instrument panel is below the bottom of monitor screen.

The TrackIR doesn't let me set the center point where I want it, which needs to be set below the default center point of TrackIR. Is there a way I can set a center point with TIR? Should there be some other software I need?

In the profile settings you can map a keyboard press to "center" the view. When you press the key, wherever you are looking becomes the center of the screen. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Correct.

I believe the default key is F12.

I recommend (although you don't have to) starting Trackir on its own and maximizing the trackir program window. Then, make sure the trackir camera is facing you and see where the 3 green dots are within that window - you may need to move the camera until the green dots are as close to the center (the bulls-eye) as possible with you looking straight at your main screen, then press F12 (or whichever key you mapped "center" to).

Then, if the dots remain close to center, move your head around and see what the dots do - they should track your head movements fairly accurately.

There are many more adjustments that are available within the trackir window interface, such as movement speed, setting up different profiles, etc.

It can be very confusing - there is some help in the website/google.

My personal take - once you have trackir set up properly, you'll never wanna fly without it - especially while in the VC!

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

I Have had my trackiR about 7 years. Never had a problem with it and never had to make changes in the trackir software. Have you thought about adjusting your view using the FSX keys? I find the view to be perfect after I zoom back a little.

I Have had my trackiR about 7 years. Never had a problem with it and never had to make changes in the trackir software. Have you thought about adjusting your view using the FSX keys? I find the view to be perfect after I zoom back a little.

While zoom in/zoom out works fine, the other "view" keys in FSX/P3D only work when you've put TrackIR in "freeze" mode. The moment you unfreeze, TrackIR is again in complete control.

But that F12 (or whatever you assigned it to) works well. I typically get set up, press F12, then look up slightly, then press F12 again. This lets me see a little more of the panel. But shifting you seat position after pressing F12 will also adjust your view (up/down/side/fore/aft/lean), or even very slightly repositioning of the camera (though I don't really recommend that) can make adjustments.

For the OP, the default center point can be adjusted in the aircraft.cfg, if needed, or you can follow the procedure I mention with F12 above. Either way, I think you'll like it once you learn to control it.

And, as E-Buzz says, be sure to explore the various adjustments built in to the software, where you can look at the "3 green spots" as well as what the physical head and virtual hear are doing, along with adjustment capabilities for responsiveness.

You just have to take the time and effort to explore a little, read the instructions and find out its capabilities, which are greater than it first appears.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

But that F12 (or whatever you assigned it to) works well. I typically get set up, press F12, then look up slightly, then press F12 again. This lets me see a little more of the panel.

Exactly what I did first.

But now, for the aircraft that I fly most, I added VC cameras almost identical to the eyepoint, but with a view angle slightly tilted down to the panel (some 5 to 10 degrees). Works best for me.

IMO it's crucial to have well set cameras priot to using TrackIR, because (as said before) the seat up/down/left/right/... become inoperative when TrackIR takes over.

I don't fly without it anymore, it became an habit to the ridiculous point I try looking left/right when watching a YouTube recording...:rolleyes:

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I don't fly without it anymore, it became an habit to the ridiculous point I try looking left/right when watching a YouTube recording...:rolleyes:

Wim

Ha ha! I find myself doing exactly the same thing and sometimes get disoriented when the video doesn't follow where I look :o

alexzar14 -

I also use EZDOK as a supplement to trackir - it adds effects like real-time head movement in reaction to aircraft movement, shaking when rolling down the runway and overspeed (in light aircraft for example, you KNOW when you're overspeeding - your VC view will look like you're having a seizure!), a definitive "thump" on a rough landing, etc. For me, it adds another layer of being "as real as it gets." It's become yet another thing I will not fly without.

It also makes it very easy to position your eyepoint/view with every camera by using the arrow keys while in flight or at anytime while in the sim (look at some of my screenshot postings of Dino's F-14).

One caveat, I feel, is in order to get full enjoyment from this program you need decent, consistent FPS and smoothness. Which is not always easily achieved.

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Archived