Keyboard sensitivity

NDORFN

Hey guys.

Does anyone know how to (if possible) adjust keyboard sensitivity for any key in the same way that it can be done for flight control keys? I have a very sensitive prop pitch and I can't get a smooth transition from takeoff RPM to cruise without overworking the gears. I'd like to reduce the sensitivity and/or repeat rate either on the keyboard or my joystick so I can press and hold the key to make it gradually and smoothly reduce RPM.

Cheers.

Go to the Settings mean, and the Controls portions of that. Click the Buttons/Keys tab at the top, the select Engine Commands in the Event Category pulldown menu. Look down through the commands until you find the Propeller commands. There you need to select Propeller (Decrease quickly) and then select Clear Assignment from the resulting choices. Select OK, then Select Propeller (Decrease incrementally), and when the box pops open, hit the ctrl and F2 keys together. Click OK all the way back out, and it should now decrease more slowly and smoothly.

Hope that helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks Pat but not exactly what I'm after. I know how to set key commands (I use TAB+F3 and TAB+F4 for Decrease/Increase Prop RPM incrementally because it's less stretch on my fingers). What I'm trying to achieve is to reduce the sensitivity of said setup. If I tap the keys at just the right rate I can get a smoother response but it's still too sensitive. I think the real issue isn't the rate of input change, it's the actual physics. I'm using Llyod Dixons goose_dynamics_v1.0.1 with an OZx Goose and everything else about it is pretty good with the exception of the over-the-top reaction of the aircraft to prop pitch change. It's so touchy even at my smoothest rate of change with minimal power from the engines the aircraft "bounces" back and forth, which in reality would just mince the gears before it had that effect on the aircraft.

(This is really important for some sounds I'm working on. On (this model) Goose's takeoff one makes a reduction in HG immediately followed by an RPM reduction, and I've got the sounds working perfectly to make that transition as pitch is changed. I've matched it to dozens of real life videos and I've nailed it... except for the way the RPM "bounces" when I change pitch)

I apologize, I meant no offense. I am never sure of someone's knowledge.

Y'know, this is the first time I've really looked for this rate of change, and I can't find anything, other than the change I indicated. Nowhere in the aircraft.cfg or .air file did I see this setting. I will be very interested in hearing the answer, presuming someone gives one.

Good luck! I hope someone has the answer for you :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hey, I wonder if this would work:

I went to my computer's Control Panel, Keyboard. In the pop-up box are two settings, Repeat Delay, and Repeat Rate. I wonder if adjust those might help you solve this. Like decrease the Repeat Rate a bit, and see how it affects the Prop adjustment...?

Just a thought. Mr. Mallcott gave me the idea :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're a genius Pat! (Credit to Mallcott). I'll see if I can tune the repeat rate to the RPM lever. Should keep me going until I've figured out where the error in the .air file is. Cheers mate :)

Nah, I'm just nosey :) Willing to poke around a bit.

I looked through AN air file (not the one you have, but the one for the Spartan) and I didn't see anything that looked like it might do the trick, but I am far from an .air file expert. If you find an entry, let us know! Of course, this won't pop up again for a while, but maybe I'll remember some little tidbit about it...

Let us know!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No there is nothing in any .air file that affects keyboard sensitivity.

Keyboard sensitivity is affected by the slider (repetition rate = non-logarithmic progression rate) in the sim, or by controller settings on the keyboard drivers. And latterly, but significantly, by in-game fps (and therefore ultimately hardware).

Thanks for the verification, Mallcott. It's good to have third party support :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've spent about 20 hours tuning various facets of the aircraft and managed to obtain a realistic response from the CVT. If I smash it into full power without giving it a chance to catch up, naturally it's a little bouncy but not nearly what it was. And making a reduction in RPM (after the correct reduction in HG) is now smooth, just like it is in the myriad videos I've watched! I'm not sure, but it also seems like it's smoother if the oil is up to temp, but it's probably just my imagination and I'm not even sure if the CVT shares oil with the engine or not. But I like to think it's something FSX is simulating. ANYWAY... the repeat-rate adjustment has been invaluable in all aspects of flying and even in editing text (no more accidental deleting whole lines in a flash!). Cheers once again.

Archived