How many CPU cores can FSX utilize?

Considering upgrading to a hex core CPU (from i5 4690K).

Can FSX use 6 cores?

Yes it can, it will scale to any number of cores. But. The main thread will remain in the first core (either core 0 or according to your affinity mask setting), the "master" application cannot just switch to parallel processing. But what will happen is, that other tasks, that can safely be run in parallel (like terrain loading), will be distributed over the other cores - if you set the correct affinity mask.

As these parallel tasks are more "helpers" to the main sim, you will not notice much (if any difference) going from a quad to a hexacore. I have switched from i7 3770K&GTX780ti to 5930K&GTX980ti recently, and initially the sim is actually running worse than before. This requires a completely new tweaking approach, probably taking many weeks again... And it became obvious once again, that clockspeed is king. If I overclock the new CPU to 4-4.5 GHz, then it catches up with the 3770K (which was also at 4.5). I did a direct comparison of the two computers with Sandra, and the results were as expected - the single core performance is not that much advanced in the "larger" CPU, maybe 15-20%. But the difference in multicore + hyperthreading is massive, almost 80% plus. Sadly that does not do anything for FSX.

What may improve matters theoretically with a hexacore is to set the affinity mask just so that your first core remains completely free of FSX to run other applications and external addon, while you still have 5 left for the sim itself. But TBH I didn't notice any benefit when doing just that.

Oliver Binder

LORBY-SI

Yes it can, it will scale to any number of cores. But. The main thread will remain in the first core (either core 0 or according to your affinity mask setting), the application cannot just switch to parallel processing. But what will happen is, that other tasks, that can safely be run in parallel (like terrain loading), will be distributed over the other cores - if you set the correct affinity mask.

As these parallel tasks are more "helpers" to the main sim, you will not notice much (if any difference) going from a quad to a hexacore. I have switched from i7 3770K>X780ti to 5930K>X980ti recently, and initially the sim is actually running worse than before. This requires a completely new tweaking approach, probably taking many weeks again... And it became obvious once again, that clockspeed is king. If I overclock the new CPU to 4-4.5 GHz, then it catches up with the 3770K (which was also at 4.5). I did a direct comparison of the two computers with Sandra, and the results were as expected - the single core performance is not that much advanced in the "larger" CPU, maybe 15-20%. But the difference in multicore + hyperthreading is massive, almost 80% plus. Sadly that does not do anything for FSX.

+1! Clock speed is almost everything with FSX. Also Intel seems to work the best as well. Your 4690 is 3.5GHZ. If your new buy isn't faster than 3.5 you'll probably not notice any improvement over what you have.

I don't know you're planning on doing with your hex core besides FSX. But if it's FSX only or even mainly, I would advise you go for a quad core at 4GHZ or faster like the i7-4790K which turbos to 4.5ghz. instead. They're usually in the low to mid $300 range. And seem to be super solid.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Does overclocking a CPU make any difference to fsx steam? This is my first gaming computer and I've overclocked to 4.5ghz. i7, 2600k sandy bridge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes. The Steam edition is basically the boxed edition by another name. CPU speed with Steam is exactly the same consideration as with boxed; faster is always better. At 4.5 it will run about as well as it can. But (there is always one of those) much depends on the single-thread capability of the CPU. Some CPU's are better in this regard than others. A little research with Google will tell you where the 2600K stands compared to other options. Here is a place to start http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Core_i7-2600K_single.html .

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

It will essentially use only one core as that's where the main thread will run. For FSX, what you need is the fastest single-thread processor available. Whether it has 4 or 6 cores makes no difference to FSX. See this for a comparison http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Core_i7-2600K_single.html . Right now the best options are either the 4790K or the 6700K.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived