FSX freezing when heapdhones are unplugged

Dholton3

Title of the post says it all. Extremely annoying when my leg snags the cord of the headphones and unplugs them from my computer, freezing FSX and thus wiping off away hours of flight progress and planning. Is this an internal issue from within FSX that can be resolved, or is this a larger issue with the audio settings of my PC?

Regards,

Daniel

I assume it is a USB set, it is just windows identifying it has lost a device and FSX now has no device to play to. Maybe you need a hook on your desk to keep the chord from your legs.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

With FSUIPC4 you can specify auto save times in seconds and VELCRO is your friend
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

+1 on the comments by dogdish.

Get some Velcro type tie wraps and fasten the cord to the table legs. Another option could be to buy an suitable extension cord, especially if your headphones use a standard jack connection and not USB. USB leads can be had in lengths as short as 1 foot whilst most jack cords start at 3 ft/1m. This could allow you to then place/thread the cord around/over the desk.

WRT to FSX freezing -

Does it actually freeze or does it simply go into pause mode or minimise to the taskbar?

If it freezes have you tried to leave the sim running for a while to see if it continues?

If it minimises to the taskbar it is very likely that it will go into pause mode by default - have you checked this. Just in case you are not aware (and apologies if you are) when the sim is in pause mode it is indicated by a flashing message at the bottom left of the screen.

If it is merely pausing go the General settings page and ensure that the 'Pause on task switch' option is unchecked

Regards

Brian

To pause/unpause, press p.

To get sound back after re-plugging the headset, use the sound menu's in windows and fsx.

If the whole pc freezes, and even controll+alt+delete doesn't work, then you may be causing a short circuit by yanking out the Usb. You may have damaged the Usb port a little too.

Buy a headset with a longer cord, cheap ones with cords exist.

For a great solution get a wireless one with a wifi dongle (not bluetooth). Those work great with pc's.

I use a logitech clearchat. Seemed expensive at the time, but well worth it. It automatically becomes default device when you plug it in, and away you go.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/logitech-clearchat-pc-wireless-headset-review/

http://support.logitech.com/en_ca/product/logitech-clearchat-pc-wireless

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived