FS2004 add-on aircraft inFSX

oldngray635

I have been searching for answers as to why some FS2004 aircraft fly well in FSX and others do not. There are lots of articles on how to convert 2004 to FSX but the pattern does not seem to be consistent. In those that do not work, i.e., the majority of those not "working" are aircraft that appear in the list with a thumbnail but do not have textures and/or gauges.

Just finished reading a post on the forum about 32bit and 64 bit systems. I have been away from flight simming for a number of years. Installed FSX Gold in a location other than the default. Since I am running a 64bit system I wonder if there would be consequences with running a 32bit FSX in a folder outside of Program Files (x86) that would impact textures and gauges that were developed in 32bit.

Am about to uninstall FSX and re-install it in the default location just to test the theory but decided to post the question here before doing so.

Another question: Can someone point me to a document, or series of them, which would outline the correct organizational chart (folders and names within FSX) for FSX? Could I find that in the SDK which I have not installed??

I am running FSX and P3D in Bootcamp on an iMac.

Thanks for all the great assistance I have already received from perusing the forum.

Don

I was with you right up to the iMac comment.

The 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue is a non-starter.

32 bit programs run fine in 64 bit OS (at least they do in Windows) and moving your FSX install is not going to fix anything.

RE: FS9 planes in FSX, there is no "one way" to do it.

Many FS9 planes are actually FS8 planes (or older) and/or use old gauges.

Getting an FS9 plane to work in FSX depends wholly on how the FS9 plane is put together.

Unfortunately it is not "one size fits all".

Also, having an FS9 plane work in FSX can depend on what version of FSX you are using. Another consideration is "are you using DX10 preview"?

I have also witnessed a difference of opinion as to what constitutes "working".

Some people have to have every single thing work while others are happy if it just shows up.

If you have questions about specific planes, feel free to ask.

Plenty of helpful people around.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I was with you right up to the iMac comment.

I debated with myself for a long time before going ahead with this project on an iMac. I am not technically qualified to distinguish the intricate differences between running Windows in Bootcamp or running it natively on a PC. My iMac 27" 5K machine has an i7 3GHz processor, AMD M290 2GB VRAM video, 32GB RAM and I boot directly into Windows7 Pro with Windows drivers, on an external 500GB SSD via Thunderbolt. It runs PMDG 737NGX in P3D very well.

The 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue is a non-starter.

32 bit programs run fine in 64 bit OS (at least they do in Windows) and moving your FSX install is not going to fix anything.

RE: FS9 planes in FSX, there is no "one way" to do it.

Thanks for confirming my experiences.

If you have questions about specific planes, feel free to ask.

Plenty of helpful people around.

The specific plane I am speaking of is the "Lockheed L-1049G Super G Constellation" from the project hosted on Tom Gibson's Classic forum. I am particularly interested in the Super Connie because it is one of the many types of aircraft I have flown as a professional pilot in the distant past. It would not surprise me to find out that, at my age, I missed some particular aspect of the installation though I try to go through these things with a check list. I'll keep trying to figure it out, reading various posts and hoping it is a matter of getting the files in the correct folder and making adjustments as necessary.

I do appreciate the many helpful people. Personally, I could not manage the simulation of flight without the thoughtful comments of those in the forum.

Don

Welcome to the forum(s) Don. - Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

It looks like all the rest have been answered except this:

Another question: Can someone point me to a document, or series of them, which would outline the correct organizational chart (folders and names within FSX) for FSX? Could I find that in the SDK which I have not installed??

Same as FS9. Does that help? A couple differences, but overall, the same. Especially if you mean add-on aircraft, sceneries, gauges, and so on. The really big, huge difference is that in FS9 aircraft go into \FS2004\Aircraft, whereas for FSX it's \FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes

Not a gigantic difference.

Hope that takes care of that :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I fly the Super Connie L-1049G and L-1049H from Tom Gibson's site. What kind of problems are you having?

Thanks. Nice to hear that someone is flying it successfully in FSX. My problem deals with textures and gauges. When I load it at the default airport the airplane comes up flying with default scenery (I have no add-on scenery at this point), no exterior paint scheme, no gauges and the gear still down.

It flies OK, that is, it responds to elevator and aileron input but without a panel it is flying blind.

I have downloaded both aircraft of which you speak but am out of town until tomorrow. Will try again but not very hopeful of success.

Thanks much for the response.

And thanks Doug for the welcome. Happy to be here among so many knowledgeable folks.

Don

It looks like all the rest have been answered except this:

Same as FS9. Does that help? A couple differences, but overall, the same. Especially if you mean add-on aircraft, sceneries, gauges, and so on. The really big, huge difference is that in FS9 aircraft go into \FS2004\Aircraft, whereas for FSX it's \FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes

Not a gigantic difference.

Hope that takes care of that :)

Pat☺

... and therein is the problem, I think. It is the "textures" and "gauges" that are not responding with the rest of the installation.

One of the articles I read on the subject recommended creating an "Aircraft" folder in the root folder of FSX and place the install there. Didn't work for me. I am not sure how FSX processes the folders so I'm guessing about things. I'll probably give up on this whole idea as many have suggested and proceed to other things but I am grateful for all the input.

Don

Getting aircraft for FS9 and earlier to work in FSX is a hit-n-miss proposition. It ONLY looks lin \simobjects\Airplanes for aircraft. Within an aircraft's individual folder, the structure is identical to FS9, though. Make sure the panel isn't aliased off to a non-existant plane, or that it's looking in the wrong place in [fltsimXX] lines for an alias. Like if panel=Fleet that you don't have installed, for example. Also, make sure any texture folders have the correct texture.cfg file in it, that FS9 doesn't use. You may have to make one up to tell FSX what textures to look for where. Take a look at a texture folder in a default FSX plane and see how that looks, then see if you have something similar in your add-on plane's textures.

For gauges, try placing them into the plane's \panel folder and see if it can find them. For the plane's panel textures, make sure the 2D panel textures are in the panel folder. Usually, VC textures are in the plane's main Texture folder.

Ok on that subject, to save HD space FSX planes with many textures often have a Texture folder, with all the textures common to all that planes various paints, and the unique textures for each plane in that variation's individual texture folder called out in the [fltsimXX] section.

For an example of what I am talking about, please see the following jpg.

ScreenHunter_600 Apr. 20 15.29_A.jpg

As you can see, the Structure of the individual aircraft is the same as FS9, with the model, panel sound and texture folders all there. The aircraft.cfg and .air files are just down below all the texture folders, just like FS9.

You can also see the whole texture folder structure I was mentioning, with the main, or common files all in the texture folder, and all the individual paints in the different texture.XXXXXXXXX folders.

Remember, a lot of older .bmp's, and gauge files, especially the .gau ones made for the older sim versions, don't work in FSX, making older planes harder to just drop in and fly.

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

For anyone reading this today, tomorrow, a year from now, there is no requirement of having a texture.cfg file in the texture folders.

FS9 (and earlier) planes will have all of the textures in the individual texture folders.

If you are porting over a plane from an earlier version that happens to be missing textures, putting a texture.cfg file in the individual texture folders is not going to fix this.

I do not mean to step on Pat's toes, he has provided some good info.

I am simply trying to avoid any confusion about texture.cfg files and hopefully prevent users from wasting time adding a file that is not needed.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

To each of you who have responded to my queries I want to express my sincere thanks. Whether or not I ever get this particular airplane, or any other for that matter, working satisfactorily, I truly appreciate your efforts to clarify the issues involved.

I am away from home right now but will examine each thought expressed and again, thank you sincerely. I'll respond further after getting some research done at home.

Don

I know a made a thread on this but no one is answering!

I am thinking of getting the PSS 757 Pro latest version for FSX. I know its a FS9 aircraft and I never had problems running FS9 aircraft. Does anybody know if it will work in FSX SP2 or not? I don't use DX10

I already have the QualityWings and the CS 757 but I think the PSS model is the best in my opinion

I apologize about the texture.cfg file stuff. I wasn't certain that FSX required one, I just seem to see one in every FSX plane, so I made an obviously mistaken presumption.

My apologies to all!

Don: I hope something in all the responses you've gotten does the trick. It sounds like you want to get this bird aloft :)

FSXMarc: when you say the "Pss 757 Pro latest version for FSX", do you mean it's made FOR FSX or you want to put it into FSX? I just want to be sure, if I can answer your questions, I get the question correct in my pea-brain before I try to answer the wrong question :D

Now *I* have confused myself... :D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I apologize about the texture.cfg file stuff. I wasn't certain that FSX required one, I just seem to see one in every FSX plane, so I made an obviously mistaken presumption.

My apologies to all!

Don: I hope something in all the responses you've gotten does the trick. It sounds like you want to get this bird aloft :)

FSXMarc: when you say the "Pss 757 Pro latest version for FSX", do you mean it's made FOR FSX or you want to put it into FSX? I just want to be sure, if I can answer your questions, I get the question correct in my pea-brain before I try to answer the wrong question :D

Now *I* have confused myself... :D :D

Pat☺

Its a FS9 Aircraft however I want to make sure it works in FSX before I buy it.

I have been searching for answers as to why some FS2004 aircraft fly well in FSX and others do not..

Rather than just importing FS2004 planes straight into FSX, run searches for ones that have been converted by the designer to work in FSX , so look for the magic words "Converted to work in FSX".

PS- to narrow it down, are there any particular planes you talking about specifically?

I know a made a thread on this but no one is answering!

I am thinking of getting the PSS 757 Pro latest version for FSX. I know its a FS9 aircraft...

Perhaps nobody is answering because they don't know the answer..:)

I remember as a kid asking my mum where babies come from and luckily she knew the answer and replied "You buy them from hospitals for £15 each".

Sorry I don't even know what PSS stands for otherwise i'd run google searches to try to find an answer for you.

Perhaps nobody is answering because they don't know the answer..:)

I remember as a kid asking my mum where babies come from and luckily she knew the answer and replied "You buy them from hospitals for £15 each".

Sorry I don't even know what PSS stands for otherwise i'd run google searches to try to find an answer for you.

Its the Pheonix Sky Simulations 757 for FS9 you can find it on just flight for sale here:

http://www.justflight.com/product/757-professional-download

I just want to know if it will work in FSX or not

Its the Pheonix Sky Simulations 757 for FS9 you can find it on just flight for sale here:

http://www.justflight.com/product/757-professional-download

I just want to know if it will work in FSX or not

I don't know, I just looked it up on the net and every place just says its for FS9, they don't mention if it works in FSX.

But the good news is there are about a dozen freeware Boeing 757's for FSX here at FlightSim.com, (including one in Donald Trump's livery) so why not download each one til you find one you like, then delete the rest.

If you don't know how to find them in the file library let me know..:)

(including one in Donald Trump's livery)

Whether it's true or not, I can't say, but I just saw a news story this morning that that plane has been grounded by the FAA because it's registration expired.

Just a note :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSXmarc,

You might be better off with this 757:

http://www.justflight.com/product/757-jetliner-freemium

Just read the fine print; it looks like you have to pay for Liveries & Variants, but the basic jet is free...

Hope this helps!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Also I have successfully merged the Captain Sim L-1011 virtual cockpit to Tom's and Erick Cantu's L-1011. I love it everything works and during rigorous testing there was no problem except the nav lights don't work :(

Other than that I have to say the L-1011 cockpit and 757 is the only planes I like from CS. They did an outstanding job with the cockpit and its one of the very rare merges that work.

Archived