Crash to desktop

rvc68

Has anyone experienced this error message in FSX? I have been getting it for quite a while not only in FSX but in many other programs too. I have tried to google it and get a lot of reasons none of which help me. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if solution is available"

Knowing what the faulting module is would be the best help!

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted, that is eliminating the last things installed when it stopped working!

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks to all of you but this appears to be a way over my head. I have done the sfc/scannow program it showed errors that could not be corrected by it, I was advised to download and run a Windows 8.1 Installation Media from a flash drive which I did and the last time I ran if it said there where no errors, but I am still getting this error message and have since at least back in January 2016. I have already spent well over $100 to a service that said they would correct if but did not so I guess I will just have to live with it. Thank you very much for your responses.

It is important to note that sfc may not resolve all issues in the first pass and may need several passes to accomplish a complete repair. This is because if one damaged file is required by other damaged files then the that file must be in good order before the others can be fixed.

Another tool you could try, which functions like the in-built sfc but is know to be good at fixing errors that sfc can't is:

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

Notwithstanding that the problem is not purely related to FSX I also suggest that next time you run FSX and it crashes that you carryout the instructions posted by mrzippy at post #3. Doing so may shed more light on the problem that may help resolve it.

As the problem appears to be 'system' wide you should carryout the instructions each time to see if there is a common cause. It could be something simple as an Anti-virus suite or another program starting in the background and forcing other apps to stop running.

Regards

Brian

I downloaded sfcfix.exe after running sfc/scannow twice. Both programs indicated there were no discrepancies found. I will try your suggestion given in post #3. Thank you, I will post if I find an answer.

I can't seem to find the same view that was shown in post #3. I go to "Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events." but I do not see anything like the sample viewI l might see. When I go to Event Viewer I get a list of events that show "error" in red print but all it gives me is a list of "Level - Date and Time - Source - Event ID - Task Catagory" Which means nothing to me.

OK - try this......

Open Event viewer. Click on the View menu option located at top left and check that the Preview option is selected - this will be denoted by the tick being displayed to the left of the Preview entry. If not selected, simply click on it to select it. The preview pane will be displayed below the Events listing and should default to the General tab.

With regards to finding the various entries - If no FSX related entries can be found under Custom Views > Administrative Events look Under the Windows Logs > Application entry below it

Regards

Brian

I did find where the problems are coming from some are like "Component Services Administrative Too" and "Service Control Manager", "SRService", Application Error", Print Service", "User Profile Service", "Store Licensing", "Kernel Event-Tracing", "VSS", "Recording", and many, many other entries. Obviously there is something in my system that is all screwed up. I guess I am just going to have to turn it over to one of the Servicing Techs I have delt with in the past and hope they can correct it. As I said before thank all of you for all your patience and help. If I ever get it corrected I will post it.

Before spending loads of money to pay someone to carryout what may be a very straight forward fix consider attempting the following (in the order listed):

1. Do you regularly update the rig's software, especially the Operating System (OS). If not turn on/carryout a Windows Update. As this process may take some time and need multiple runs, especially if you have never carried out such updates, it may be worth manually downloading and installing the latest Service Pack (SP) relevant to your OS version direct from the Microsoft website. If you are not sure what a SP is, its a collection of the most critical and important WU release since the OS was released. They are generally numbered consecutively (i.e. SP1, SP2 etc) and you only need to get the latest one as SP2 will contain any of the SP1 files that have not been updated since the its issue. Once you have installed the SP run WU.

2. Likewise with any other 'major' non FS related software/apps you have installed, such as Antivirus (AV) suites - update and run a scan

3. Check that you are using the latest and, more importantly, correct drivers for you OS version. If your OS is a 32-bit version only 32-bit drivers should be installed but if its a 64-bit version it may require both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers for some apps to run correctly.

4. As you have already stated that you have paid for it to be fixed once already I assume that the rig is out of warranty so it might be worth considering starting from scratch and doing a complete re-install of all software. Prior to doing this though make sure that you have the essentials:

A. A copy of the OS and its product code. If you brought the rig with the OS pre-installed it is likely that you did not get a 'hard' copy of the OS. This is because your 'copy' is actually stored on the hard drive somewhere. In most cases there will be a link in the start menu, probably under an entry relating to the manufacturer, to create a set of rescues disks. Carry out this task and you will have a copy of the OS which you can use to either attempt a repair or do a full install. The product code will be on a sticker located on the rig somewhere. If you can't find it, check any documentation that came with the rig or simply do an internet search using the phrase Product Key Finder and download one of the many tools available.

B. Copies and product codes for all other installed software/Apps. It may be necessary to download new copies for stuff that you don't have the original disks for. For example, if you use MS Office and don't have the disks, it is easy to download the required version, install it and use your current product code to activated it.

C. A backup copy of the current drivers that are installed. Again, like the OS, there should be an option to make a backup of the drivers.

D. Backups of any important documents and other files that you may wish to keep. This is obviously down to what you think you will need - for example in the case of FSX you might want to backup your logbook.ini and any aircraft.cfg files that you have amended..

If any of this seems daunting, especially the OS re-install, search the web for information on how to do things - there is plenty of good websites out there that have step by step guides.

Regards

Brian

Archived