Default FS9 Cessna 182S Repaint Request

flyer8

Looking for a plain old white repaint of the Default FS9 Cessna 182S (N9COF). I've been using Wayne Sinker's Cessna 182S Millennium Edition (c182me.zip) and like most of us, need a change every once in a while.

This repaint would be for FS9 and I've attached an image of Wayne's really nice version. My idea is to have the identicle repaint without the pin stripes and ME logos. Plain old white (including the skirts) with the metal prop-hub, and the standard Cessna and Skylane logos on the tail. Is this difficult as there is no way that I could ever do it.

It would appear that there should be more Default C182S repaints out there but I can't seem to find plain ones. Anyway, please advise and thanks!

FS2004 Cessna 182S Millennium Edition (Wayne Sinker)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=129991

C182ME.jpg

The blank by Mark Rooks is as plain as it gets:

http://simviation.com//fs_paintkits3.htm

Scroll down for "FS2004 Blank Textures for the FS2004 Default Props".

WS

That's pretty close! I had found another blank but the panel lines were pretty raw and a bit uneven.

What would be great is to have the standard Cessna logo stamp and a bluish gray Skylane logo on the tail. Also a silver-aluminum prop-hub would make a fine addition. The prop and hub on the Wayne's repaint are beautiful. Maybe its my old eyes but the blank seems the slighest tiny bit grayer then Waynes color.

I don't know if that would fly with everyone, or how much work that would be, but I think it would be a really cool looking craft. Anyway, thanks for the link. I both downloaded and saved it in case I get desperate!

If anyone would like to have a look at what I'm trying to achive...I'd love a repaint of the same quality...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298056-Fly-Tampa-San-Francisco-and-a-bit-of-Cloud9-KLAX

Wow, that looks great! How do you guys do that...talented. I once saw an artist take an animation cell of the living room in a house. It had a fireplace, a window with a curtain, chairs, bookshelves, with the look and feel of a Disney animation cell. He told me he had to make the sunlight shine through the window as if it was late in the afternoon.

He then took a huge round white brush and drew a squiggly line from the window into the middle of the living room. I thought the cell was ruined until he ran a photoshop macro he'd written. Before my eyes, he blurred the white line into a diffused light source. Then there was a wide ray of light coming into the living room. Amazing and really fun to watch.

Yeah, that's nice. Any artistic license you'd like to add, something to make it your own as well? Cessna in cursive at the base of the nose...maybe on the top of the left wing. Your call but that is beautiful. Wow, and big smiles over here.

Before you get too excited , there are limitations with most of the default aircraft in FS9 and FSX , the main one being single textures being used for both sides of the fuselage and wings , as with the C182 . This means that any text or logo's will be mirrored on one side . Is also the main reason that no-one bothers to paint them .

John Glanville

Before you get too excited , there are limitations with most of the default aircraft in FS9 and FSX , the main one being single textures being used for both sides of the fuselage and wings , as with the C182 . This means that any text or logo's will be mirrored on one side . Is also the main reason that no-one bothers to paint them .

John Glanville

Interesting and I had no idea. So somthing like this is not doable or is very time consuming...

Logoo_182.jpg

I think its beautiful but don't want anyone to work too hard. I know I'll never be able to do it myself.

Regarding your screenshot the written text Cessna , Skylane and even the Cessna logo will be reversed on the other side as the fuselage in the texture folder shows only a one-sided fuselage . That is also the reason that the registration is applied through the aircraft.cfg and not " painted " . The paint scheme you previewed is no problem but adding text or logo's just will not work . The C172 in FSX is better as the fuselage shows a left and right section ( and they provide a blank texture set ) but the " problem " there is that certain parts are drawn to a different scale so more work is involved . The only default aircraft that can be painted with a degree of success are the B737 and B747 and these can be found in the SDK but here the limiting factor is the resolution meaning that you cannot create detailed repaints as is possible with " other " developers . It isn't impossible to paint the default aircraft , it's just that Microsoft could have made a better job of the texture mapping and this is the major reason that hardly anyone bothers to paint them .

John

John Glanville

Now I get it. There's only one half of the fuselage in the paint kit! It all makes sense. Took a look at some of the other aircraft in the sim and they have both half's with pre-mirrored text on one. Didn't understand that before but a crummy kind of clarity comes into view. Well, I like what the ranger has sent to me and will try it out, maybe take some shots in Portland.

What a shame but at the same time, it's pretty cool of you guys to try. So thank you very much as both you and Ranger have my respect and admiration!

It's not all doom and gloom , there are more ways to skin a cat , as they say . Have you thought about PAYware aircraft . The Carenado C182 for FS9 is certainly a better option and due to it's age should be fairly cheap ( if money is a concern ) , another option is Flight 1's C172R ( FS9 and FSX ) . They both still have issues with mirrored textures ( don't ask me about Carenado's C172N - disaster ) , the C182 - tailfin is mirrored , with the C172R you can't place an underwing reg as the wing is mirrored .

your original paint scheme ( shown in your first post ) is no problem just omit any text you wanted to place .

John

It's not all doom and gloom , there are more ways to skin a cat , as they say . Have you thought about PAYware aircraft . The Carenado C182 for FS9 is certainly a better option and due to it's age should be fairly cheap ( if money is a concern ) , another option is Flight 1's C172R ( FS9 and FSX ) . They both still have issues with mirrored textures ( don't ask me about Carenado's C172N - disaster ) , the C182 - tailfin is mirrored , with the C172R you can't place an underwing reg as the wing is mirrored .

your original paint scheme ( shown in your first post ) is no problem just omit any text you wanted to place .

John

I've been a Carenado fan for quite some time and am licensed to fly the following Cessna's...

Cessna 182Q Skylane

Cessna 182RG II Skylane

Cessna C152 II

Cessna C172N Skyhawk II

Cessna C172N Skyhawk II Float

Cessna C172N Skyhawk II Ski

Cessna C210M Centurion II

Cessna U206G Stationair 6 II

Interestingly, one of my favorite repaints is the 182Q N2457P by Urs Burkhardt. Its from his Cessna 182Q "Sixpack" repaint pack and was probably one of the reasons why I gravitate towards the plain and simple approach. So your advice is sound and Carenado has good support as well. So does Flight1 but I never did buy their 172.

Wayne's ME repaint is pretty awesome and I suppose it kept me from traveling too far in another direction. I went ahead and did some reading last night, courtesy of one Martin Wright, and specifically concerning the information contained in his tutorial named "Texture Formats used by FS2002".

I then used DXTbmp to extract the Extended Bitmap from the repaint. Went ahead and added a Cessna logo to the cowling of the modified blank which Ranger sent to me. Sure enough, Its derorrim on one side of the aircraft and have convinced myself to consider it a feature. At least its unusual and retains a bit of artistic license, and fun. That's what this is supposed to be all about anyway!

Good advice and thanks for the help John...also thanks for the modified blank and the millennium Ranger! Really liked that TV show by Chris Carter as well...it was edgy. Big smiles and thanks guys!

Urs Burkhardt "Sixpack" Cessna C182Q N2457P

N2457P.jpg

Glad to have been able to help .

I also have the Carenado planes you mention , plus a few more ( Archer , Arrow , Seneca , Baron , C337 , C182T , Cirrus and Mooney ) . The only " drawback " with Carenado is that they don't believe in layered paint kits but do supply a blank texture . It just means that you have to use a different method when painting them .

Some of my first paints were for the Flight1 C172R and then moved on to the Carenado C152 and have uploaded many paints on AVSIM . Later purchased the C172N but this is by far the worst plane I ever bought from them , the texture mapping is so bad it is nigh on impossible to recreate a repaint of a real world aircraft .

The newer Carenado models have unfortunately now gone the other way making repaints " complicated " with textures spread over several sheets , rotated or drawn to a different scale .

I made as a request a Civil Air Patrol repaint for the C182Q but because of the mirrored tailfin could not make it entirely accurate but as with all their other renderings , they look good and are fun to fly .

John

Archived