FSX Out of Memory issue.

mejjo1989

Hi there all,

I'm started having this issue, although its quite strange.

I a few days ago i was using FSX and i keep hearing this DING noise ( Windows 10 ) As if something has popped up i need to click. Upon checking i can see there is nothing there. Few days later FSX Crashed with an our of memory message and the same noise happened just prior to that.

I can now assume that noise is the out of memory noise but FSX is not crashign ( not complaining about that ) Its very annoying hearing it all the time and then sometimes FSX will crash with the noise there.

I've searched around for a fix for Windows 10 but i can't seem to find anything.

I don't have my settings up high nor do i have many addons. I also have 20GB ram so i can't quite work out why i'm getting this out of memory error. I understand FSX is only limited to using 4GB ram do i shouldn't really have that to worry about.

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? It would be great! to get rid of that crash and that annoying noise. My computer is only 4 weeks old so quite frustrating.

Thank you in advance.

The out of memory (OOM) message you are seeing is caused by FSX using the limit of 4GB of Virtual address Space (VAS). No matter how much physical RAM a computer has, FSX is a 32-bit application and Windows can/will only allocate 4GB to VAS for any single application. The OOM error with FSX is most frequently caused by simultaneously using very complex and highly-detailed aircraft with very complex and very dense scenery and very high detail settings in FSX itself. Google "FSX OOM VAS" and you'll find a wealth of information about how to "fix" (or live with) the problem.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

The out of memory (OOM) message you are seeing is caused by FSX using the limit of 4GB of Virtual address Space (VAS). No matter how much physical RAM a computer has, FSX is a 32-bit application and Windows can/will only allocate 4GB to VAS for any single application. The OOM error with FSX is most frequently caused by simultaneously using very complex and highly-detailed aircraft with very complex and very dense scenery and very high detail settings in FSX itself. Google "FSX OOM VAS" and you'll find a wealth of information about how to "fix" (or live with) the problem.

Doug

Well said! Sometimes it's easier for another user to see these issues than for those who have already seen these issues to try to explain these issues!

We all need to realize the sim we love was completed long before almost all of the current hardware was even invented! And no, despite what you've probably read, I've tried P3D and it still suffers the same issues. It's all at best a patch to the core problems of a 32 bit program.

The only answer is obviously a program running at a true 64 bit. Does that mean pretty much all the buy-ware, free-ware we've obtained won't be useful anymore? Yes! But the 64 bit alternative will surely be worth that effort!!

What am I doing now? I'm using and enjoying the 32 bit software I already have bought. However, I don't see myself buying anything else until the 64 bit based software is proven. Your experience may be different than mine.:cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The 'ding' sound is possibly your registered copy of FSUIPC warning you that you are getting close to the 4Gb limit.

Is the 'ding' sound part of the free version of FSUIPC? As I don't have a registered copy.

I think I read somewhere that Pete said it was but can't remember.

I thought it was only there in fsuipc registered. But I do not have that, so I could well be wrong!

Although I currently have a registered version of FSUPIC, I heard the "ding" more than once before I registered with FSUIPC. That was also before I hugely upgraded my hardware. After registering at FSUIPC & much more importantly updating my hardware, I almost never hear a "ding."

If you hear a "ding" on a regular basis, you really need to look at what you are trying to do versus what your hardware is capable of doing Perhaps a leftward movement of your sliders will make a huge difference.

Did you check to see what other computer processes or functions which you don't need to "fly" are running in the background? They can really eat into your chances of a good FS experience!! Check that part out and turn those other computer functions which you don't need to "fly" off first!! Then & only then consider the other steps.:cool:

Did you check to see what other computer processes or functions which you don't need to "fly" are running in the background? They can really eat into your chances of a good FS experience!! Check that part out and turn those other computer functions which you don't need to "fly" off first!! Then & only then consider the other steps.:cool:

That's valid, but don't expect them to take up too much of your CPU time. You can take a look in Task manager to see what's eating up your CPU. Here's a shot of mine after a quick flight from KBOS to KATL:

http://www.simfdr.com/img/taskmgr.jpg

Note that there's not anything taking up appreciable CPU time or memory outside of FSX and Chrome.

Cheers!

Luke

I have made some adjustments to FSX and i have not had the issue since.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will just have to keep tweaking the settings to see how far i can push it before i start getting that out of memory message again.

Although I currently have a registered version of FSUPIC, I heard the "ding" more than once before I registered with FSUIPC. That was also before I hugely upgraded my hardware. After registering at FSUIPC & much more importantly updating my hardware, I almost never hear a "ding."

If you hear a "ding" on a regular basis, you really need to look at what you are trying to do versus what your hardware is capable of doing Perhaps a leftward movement of your sliders will make a huge difference.

Currently no more dings! :)

I may actually look into getting the registered version of FSUIPC. Is there way to register it through the simulator or will i need to download and install it again and select the register option?

I can't tell you. In my case having updated my hardware I needed to re-download and install everything except backed up data files. So I just registered my FSUIPC as part of that download.

Archived