CL215 nose wheel unresponsive

xmitr

I'm running Massimo Taccoli's CL215 in Prepar3D v2.5. I am unable to steer with the nose wheel. This is with a Hotas T.flight X which has the twist-grip rudder control. My CH Flight Sim USB Yoke also won't steer this aircraft on the ground. I haven't been able to find any settings that affect the nose wheel nor anything in the aircraft config files. Any suggestions to fix this? Maybe I need to reinstall the aircraft?

I'm not familiar with the a/c but I'd look for a nosewheel lock of some kind.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Perhaps that aircraft doesn't have a steerable nosewheel (I'm not familiar with the CL-215), in which case ground steering is by use of individual brakes when you're too slow for the rudder to take effect. In any case, the contacts section of the aircraft.cfg file has parameters controlling that. The 8th variable (number 7) controls steering, and if you want it to be steerable it probably needs to be in the 40-60 range (that's degrees of steering). Often it's point.0, but the one with the 3rd variable (number 2 in the list) set to 0 (centered on the fuselage) is the wheel to have steerable. Here is a list of the use of each item on a line:

//0 Class

//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)

//2 Lateral Position (feet)

//3 Vertical Position (feet)

//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)

//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)

//6 Wheel Radius (feet)

//7 Steer Angle (degrees)

//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)

//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio

//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)

//11 Extension Time (seconds)

//12 Retraction Time (seconds)

//13 Sound Type

A line looks like:

point.0 = 1, -21.8, 0, -0.78, 1650, 0, 0.42, 40, 0.1312, 1.8293, 0.7, 0, 0, 0 //tail wheel

Good luck.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks for replying to this post Vic and Larry and for the detailed explanation. Somehow the problem seems to have gone away after I disconnected the CH yoke and restarted the computer. Now the nosewheel steers with both the yoke and the Hotas. Must be some glitch.

I will look into the cfg file to see what I can learn. Much appreciated.

Don

Archived