Installing the whole set of FSX-packs

Jive1

Hey!

Can anybody tell how to install the whole set of software for a perfect start with FSX...

I have Windows 7 Home edition 64bit and FSX DeLuxe

I have SDK-FSX from the Original DVD.

I downloaded fsx_sp1_EBU and fsx_sp2_ENU

I have also fsx_sdk_spa1 and sdk(FSX SDK - SP2 update).msi

I have also the FSX Acceleration and expansion pack. I really don't need that, but if het gives me some extra possibilities, I'll take that as an extra...

I did already carefully what was advised on http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)

What I read at several places on the Internet makes me confused and I'm lost now on the way what I shoud do to have the perfect installation of all software.

I want to be able, when all has been installed, to use in FSX the Traffic Toolbox which is in the SDK.

I have installed the whole sets already twice, but had to uninstall all because I could not make the traffic toolbox working in that system, and I really need it.

I want not to continue and build in some sceneries or aircraft before I'm sure that the traffic toolbox works correctly.

Please that somebody gives me advise on the steps that I should do.

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

NOT correct advice

CORRECT advice

1: Install FSX (doesn't matter which as long as it's not Steam)

2: Run FSX to the opening screen or default flight. Install license info when prompted

3: Quit FSX

4: Reboot computer

5: Install Acceleration (NOT Sp1 or Sp2)

6: RUN FSX to the opening screen. You may be prompted for the Acceleration license

7: Quit FSX

8: IF you installed FSX on a HDD, defrag the drive (If on a SSD, don't)

9: Reboot computer

10: At your option, install SDK and patches.

Done.

You're completely wasting your time to install SP1 andSP2 if you have Acceleration. Use it.

I stand corrected, but all you need is FSX Deluxe & Acceleration, which is essential as it is a sort of service pack with additional aircraft, the gauges/sounds of which are usede by other addon developers.

Nothing else is needed, as those two installs will install everything you need.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hey!

My problem is....

I need Traffic Toolbox to work correctly, and that is part of FSX SDK.

Before installing FSX SDK one needs to install SP1 and/or SP2. But if I install Acceleration pack I need to uninstall SP2 and/or to replace SP1 by SP1a...

I'm confused...

I don't need acceleration pack, I only will install it if it is necessary to have really better results.

But my main target is to have Traffic Toolbox installed and working well.

So what shall I install and which is the better following way....

Jive1 - Belgium

There are two ways you can install FSX:

*install fsx deluxe

*install sp 1

*install sp2

then to install the sdk:

-install the SDK

-install SDK SP1

-install SDK SP2

done.

----------------

Or:

*Install FSX deluxe

*Install Acceleration pack

then to install the sdk:

-install the SDK

-install the SDK acceleration pack. It's on the acceleration DVD.

done also.

-----------------------

The servicepacks SP1 and SP2 are included in the acceleration pack. Plus a bit more.

So if you choose to install acceleration, do not install SP1 and SP2.

--------------------

The Wiki explains both these ways of installing, but it is all combined in one document.

You don't follow All the steps in the wiki, you follow the Path through the steps that your method requires.

All paths in the Wiki start with the basic SDK, plus some additions later.

You decide on what you want to install, and then follow the wiki instructions to do it, and to check if it's working ok.

There is also a second page to the Wiki, about checking if it all works after the install. Link at the bottom.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jive1, why not stop fiddling and just throw your ancient FSX deluxe in the bin and buy the brandnew FSX Steam Edition by download? It's the most modern updated version of FSX and contains Acceleration and all service packs built into it.

It only costs about 20 GB pounds (26 Euros/29 US dollars), heck I spend that much on a single trip to the grocers to stock up on jelly babies,custard pies and Pringles..:)

FSX:SE- http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Hey!

I'm so far now....

I installed FSX on my drive D:\FSX and both SP1 and SP2, each time making afterwards a short flight.

Then I installed the SDK on D:\FSX Programs and again made a short flight.

I have then in the Toolbox SDK the file named dll.xml, and in there I changed that particular sentence into

D:\FSX Programs\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

But now... How does my FSX know that this senrence has been changed so that it knows where to find hthe Toolbox? Somewhere in the files of FSX there must be a reference to...?

Where should it be? Or, maybe, where should I set it?

I don't see in the menu of FSX no sign for ths Toolbox, and I expect to see something similar to what is in FS9.

What is missing?

Jive1 - Belgium

OK, I think I understand now....

So, after what I've installed up to now, I will also install fsx_sdk_spa1.exe and also sdk.msi, being the service packs for FSX SDK....

All information on the Wiki and other places makes me confused, because nowhere has it beel explained so that everyone can understand, at least I did not!

I think you made me clear now what I have to do.

Jive1 - Belgium

Hey!

Tough, it 's not yet OK....

Again, I installed FSX according to what was told here, and no succes... The FSX menu does not show a Tools item about Toolbox and how to use it.

What about that dll.xml file? Where should it be and what should be changed inside?

In my system I see it in the folder where also my FSX.cfg is, and I changed manually where the Toolnox is, but no luck....

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Hey!

I will succeed, I know, but I am not so far...

Why did MS make these things so difficult? In FS9 it was simply to set a copy of Toolbox.dll in the modiles folder, and that was it.

In FSX one has to read and study a book with mixed information and misunderstood things..

Is there anybody who has/had the same needs as I have? Just a good workubf FSX where the Traffix Toolbox can be opened very easily?...

PLease tell me then how you did it.....

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Don't worry, it sounds like it's all installed correctly.

You just need to add the right bits to the dll.xml file.

An example is on the second page of the wiki.

In there are the paths to the traffictoolbox.dll file and so on.

Those paths will be different on your PC, if you installed the SDK somewhere else.

So you will have to edit the paths after pasting the sections into your dll.xml file.

There are a few threads here from people that went through the same thing, "getting the traffictoolbox to show up"

type that bit (wihthout quotes)

in to the search box, and see what comes up. That may help.

--

Scatterbrainkid, Steam does not have the SDK, but the SDK is what he is after.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jive1, why not stop fiddling about and just throw your ancient FSX deluxe in the bin and buy the brandnew FSX Steam Edition by download?

Because NONE of that would solve his SDK/TTools issue he is having. There is no reason to re-purchase what he already owns and has installed.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Hey!

I already adapted the texts in the dll.xml, and I thought "that's it now", but not at all! And even I adapted also the true/false variants, I modified all six or seven dll.xml files in the SDK folder I even did all the rest what is on the Wiki Troubleshooting page, till at the end I saw... Again! No Tools menu appeared in FSX menu.

I've been trying to get it OK during the whole afternoon, repeting some of the points, but nothing helped.

So that is why I asked if somebody is there who was trying to do, or better, who did already the same as I am trying...

Tomorrow, I will again start from the beginning, uninstall all even FSX, and restart the whole procedure.

I've been flying all the time on FS9, since 2004 when I bought the FS2004, and o dear!.. That FS9 is excellent. I cannot understand why some simmers went to FSX, while FS9 is so easy and Always working fine. I have 3 screens on my system, and using several addons with FS9, that is amazing what is possible with that combination!

I just wanted to do once something different, that is why I started FSX...

But I will certainly keep my good old FS9.

Why did MS make things so difficult when easy equal things already are available? Stupid MS people he!

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Archived