Runway numbers and lead zeros-- Only outside the U.S.?

Is it true that inside the U.S. is the only place that drops the lead zero on single digit runway headings? I've not seen any written document to support or disclaim this finding... only my random searching Google map satellite view seems to support this theory. What's the reason the United States is the only place to remove the lead zero? Why is it that seemingly all other places include it?

Any particular reason FS9 chose not to include lead zeros for single digit runways outside the U.S., but FSX and P3D did?

Thank you,

-- John

Well, I've encountered use of runway numbers both with and without leading zeros, within the U.S., but since I've never flown outside the U.S. I can't help you much -- just wanted to let you know your post is seen.

Since you're asking about sims, perhaps another section, perhaps Outer Marker, might get better responses, but I'm not sure anyone can answer the "why" within the sims.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

AFAIK it's strictly a U.S. thing. I don't know of anywhere else where the zeros are dropped.

However: If you go on record saying it's ONLY the U.S., someone will pop up within five minutes and say that the president and resident used cars salesman of Puddleofmuddia has adapted that standard for the country's 400x5 m dirt strip, so I won't go there. :)

As for why - no idea. The FAA has a thing about doing things almost, but only almost, the same way as in the RotW. They finally accepted the line up and wait instructions, so I expect they'll adapt to the international way of painting runway numbers eventually... inch by inch.

Nice post. Now I know why the 0's are used in the multiplayer atc sessions. Every time I hear them I keep wondering why they say runway 05 while doing atc in other countries.//KMQY 240203Z AUTO 00000KT 1/2SM FZFG CLR M10/M11 A3021

Let me continue this post by starting off saying, I apologize for intertwining what was really two separate questions in one. I have a bad habit of doing that, because my brain tends to run on parallel tracks at once. I should have addressed the lead zero question in real life *separately* from the one in flight simulator.

First off, I am of the belief that the U.S. is the only place that chooses to drop the lead zero on runways 1 through 9'er on a consistent basis, based on my own personal research. Although, as 'effte' alluded to above, I'm sure one person could find an exception somewhere. (BTW... 'effte'.. what does RotW mean? I'm not up on all my acronyms and get lost easily. I had to Google AFAIK, just to even follow you that far! LOL).

As for how it relates to runways in the flightsim, FS9 is incapable of recognizing lead zeros anywhere in the world, (U.S. or otherwise) because the AFCAD engine just can't reproduce them. FSX and P3D on the other hand can, and I find that they will follow the general rule of U.S.-- no lead zero; Everywhere Else-- lead zero.

The other interesting thing to note is when you go into ADE (Airport Design Editor). If you enter the program as an FS9 user, under the runway edit, markings tab, there is a limited number of selections you can check-mark. Whereas if you go into the same edit tab as an FSX or P3D user, down in the lower right corner of the menu is a check box to include or exclude the lead zero! Depending upon whether you're working with an airport inside or outside the United States. And I just discovered this for the first time last night!

Point being, I pretty much answered my own question there. So if I was to try and edit or make my own airport and add runways, I would have the choice. My biggest concern in ADE had always been that if I wanted to add a lead-zero, I would have to do it through ground texture painting and polygon placement... but that's only if trying to do it in FS9. I had never tried to edit an airport in FSX or P3D, so I didn't know. Now I do! Happy day!

Archived