Local weather - are there addons available

jparnold

Hello,

Are there any addons (preferably freeware/shareware) available for FSX which will access a relevant weather site on the internet, transfer data to FSX and result in the weather looking similar to the actual weather conditions in the area where you are flying

Thanks

John

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Thanks Mr Zippy,

Your quick reply is appreciated.

You always seem to be 'lurking around'. Heaven knows where you live and what time zone you are in and as such if you should be in bed.

I went to the web site and the Lite version is now not available but I was able to download a version (the Pro version costs 20 euros).

I will now install and check it out.

John

Thanks Mr Zippy,

You always seem to be 'lurking around'. Heaven knows where you live and what time zone you are in and as such if you should be in bed.

user-online.png Top Gun rank_first_class.png

Join Date Jan 2012

Posts10,895

[h=2]icon1.png[/h]

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Stupid me didn't look up.

BTW I'll be over there (SF) next October for 4 days only. Looking forward to Fisherman's Wharf, ferry to Sausalito, etc.

John

I lived thre for 18 years, from my birth till I joined The Corps. I still haven't seen everything :D

I love the area, I love the redwoods, I LOVE the weather. I am NOT real fond of the current politics however. Just me.

You can load and run FSRealWX Pro without paying. Just a few features don't work. Overall, it works fine. For free. Like FSUIPC. You get MORE if you pay, but it works fine without...

Just thought you'd like to know. Just ignore the limited time warning on startup. It will keep working fine forever.

I'm a cheap old SOB...:p

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for the advice.

I am still trying to work out how to use FSRealWX as I can't find any docs and it doesn't look very intuitive.

I see Klammath Falls on Google Earth but zooming in could not see any actual falls - maybe they are small?

John

Riding the Ferry from Pier 39 to Sausalito? That's so 'old hat' it makes me cringe (sorry). Try finding a whale watching cruise. Berkley or Half Moon Bay. Or travel to Monterey and get one there (you will need a reservation). But they are all online. Google 'Whale Watching Cruise' plus Half Moon Bay or Berkley or Monterey. Much more fun and just as relaxing. There is plenty of parking and no traffic or tolls if you drive to Monterey.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Monterey. Been there in 2013. Lovely place. Have a look at a video I took while there -

My wife gets sea sick so whale watching is out.

Also the usual tourist places like Alcatraz and also out to the Nappa Valley.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

John

http://www.fsrealwx.net/index.php/downloads/fsrealwx-downloads

I think once you create an account you can download the unsupported version of Lite. I have it from a couple of years ago and it works good. You need FSUIPC free version installed to make it connect to FSX.

I use it (Lite) with Simconnect and it is great. Me thinking is really fully active in Europe and maybe partially in the US while the rest of the world is more like a General Weather approximation. Meaning, not too many calls to the server.

Cheers,

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

For all this you'll need a rental car. Or your own car, whatever.

Go down to the southern end of Crystal Springs reservoir, on I-280. Keep going south, past the Junipero Serra statue on the side of the freeway, to the Woodside Road exit. Take that and go west to the top of the hill, where Woodside Rd has a 4 way intersection, with La Canada (I can't get the enyay, the little squiggle used in Spanish, to show above the N on a computer), and Sand Hill Rd. Robert's of Woodside, a high-end grocery store is on one corner. Everything in Woodside is high-end. It's one of the 10 richest towns in America. It's where I grew up. My folks still live there. Heck, the founder of Goolgle lives there. RICH sob. Has a nice mansion though. I used to walk around trespassing on a lot of properties when I was a kid.

ANYway, turn right onto La Canada, and follow it out, past the college, past most everything, and you will see the Alameda de las Pulgas (The Highway of the Fleas, if you care :D ) Water Temple, with it's associated gardens. Beautiful! Open to all, right off the road.

Also, in that area, take a look online for tours of the Filoli Estate. Their gardens are world renowned, and positively geogeous. Phenomenal beauty there. I had a firend lived there, and we used to play in the gardens, swim in the pool, all kindsa fun. Not any more, but still...It was named by the owner as a gift to his wife. Fi LO LI: Fidelity, Love, Life.

If you want a little piece of local history, instead of turning right on La Canada Rd, continue west on Woodside Rd for about 2 miles to Kings Mountain Rd, take that up to the Old Woodside Store. It's a store that served the redwood loggers in the area, and was owned and operated by Dr. R.O.Tripp, whom the store is named after, as is the road that leads off Kings Mt at the store. He was a dentist, country doctor, Post Master, a little of everything. I don't know the hours of operation it has any more. I just used it mostly for a covered bus stop for going to school when it rained. Full length covered patio all the way round it. Parking is about 100' down Tripp Rd, and visible from Kings Mt. Rd.

If you want some fun, just follow Woodsie Rd past Kings Mt, until is splits in a Y. Take the right, or upward going, fork, which is actually La Honda Rd., and follow that. It twists and turns up the mountain a lot, but at the top, where it intersects Skyline Blvd, there is a version of Alice's Restaurant, where Arlo Guthrie recorded a version of his song by that name. Beautiful, and somewhat famous place. Great people there, and fantastic food.

If just walking on a beach is more your style, just follow La Honda Rd. up and over Skyline and ALL the way down to where it intersects Hwy 1. Go left a few hundred feet and turn into the San Gregorio Beach State Park. I think it costs about $5.00 per day to park there and walk on down to the beach. We used to go there at night, after the Rangers left, and have bonfires, eat Abalone and lobsters we had caught during the day, go surfing, and other things high school boys and girls do late at night after drinking (and smoking..ahem) all evening.

Well there are a few more ideas, and avoids the worst of the tourist traps, not counting Alices Restaurant.

For FSRealWx, it's not nearly as difficult as it looks. Start the sim, and park at whatever airport you want, as though you were about to push the throttles and go. Pause the sim, alt+tab out and start up FSRealWx. Click the Start button on the upper menu bar. It will connect to the sim, then to it's server, and download weather info. Once it's done, click the Set All Weather button, and go flying. It will take care of it's self from then on out, and keep th weather where the plane is up-to-date with the real world. Clouds, winds, temps, pressure, all of it.

Have fun with it! If you want, get into the Options menu, and start playing with settings, but defaults, as a general rule, work fine.

Hope all this is some use...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived