Mesh, Landclass, etc., etc., etc!!!

KCD

I've never been preoccupied with all of the stuff about mesh, landclass, and terrain, but now I'm getting bored with the look of my FS9, and annoyed with the fact that the autogen nitwits put stuff where it doesn't belong, and don't put stuff where it does. So, I'm determined to do something about it. I have started by installing an FSGenesis mesh in the New England area (where I mostly fly). My first question is I have been using Free Flow New England, which I believe is also a mesh. Should I remove the FF NE? for the FSG to work properly? Second, as it stands at the moment, I can see no real difference with the FSG product installed, it's obvious I need something more, but what? Any advice, help, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

PS...

As an afterthought, can anyone give me any indication as to whether Birds Eye View might give me what I'm looking for? I'm on a tight budget and I like the idea of being able to do this in stages, but I want to do it properly so as to experience the maximum benefit. Thanks.

I've never been preoccupied with all of the stuff about mesh, landclass, and terrain, but now I'm getting bored with the look of my FS9, and annoyed with the fact that the autogen nitwits put stuff where it doesn't belong, and don't put stuff where it does. So, I'm determined to do something about it. I have started by installing an FSGenesis mesh in the New England area (where I mostly fly). My first question is I have been using Free Flow New England, which I believe is also a mesh. Should I remove the FF NE? for the FSG to work properly? Second, as it stands at the moment, I can see no real difference with the FSG product installed, it's obvious I need something more, but what? Any advice, help, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

PS...

As an afterthought, can anyone give me any indication as to whether Birds Eye View might give me what I'm looking for? I'm on a tight budget and I like the idea of being able to do this in stages, but I want to do it properly so as to experience the maximum benefit. Thanks.

Hello Klee,

I too just recently began using FSGenesis mesh, really like it, and plan to get more. It's possible that your previous mesh is of similar resolution so that may be why you don't see much difference. I don't know if it's necessary to uninstall the former. It's files may have been overwritten by the FSG files (I think the FSG uninstall routine will restore whatever was there previously). Maybe someone else who knows more will chime in.

I have written an article about terrain mesh, with several before/after screen shots, on my FS web site (see the link in the signature area below). Please have a look at that. It makes a huge difference. I'm planning to buy the Europe bundle soon, maybe today, and then the USA bundle later.

As for Birds Eye View, I got it two years ago (Summer and Autumn) and love it. It includes a nice utility that allows us to tailor a "theme" from a long list of options and then save the theme (it also comes with default themes, so you don't have to make customized ones unless inclined to do so). Saved themes can then be applied to a particular flight. BEV's best strength is in the trees (that's why there are four seasons to choose from). So for example, if you want to fly in your state in winter you would apply your Winter theme (assuming you have the Winter version), and so on. It blows away the FS9 default scenery. It's buildings and other autogen details are also much better, but it's the trees that I'm most impressed with, and it looks fine with FSG mesh. I have the Autumn theme and it's beautiful. Here's screen shot of Autumn BEV in North Carolina with FSG mesh.

As for the cost, FS9 FSG can be purchased for each state for either $4.98 or $7.98. If you want all the states the US bundle is much cheaper, of course, but it can be done in small increments. That's what I've done so far just to try it out (North Carolina, California, and Switzerland). As for BEV, when I bought mine two years ago each season was $12.00 and can be purchased individually. I don't know what today's price is, but it's not a large investment.

I hope this is helpful,

Clayton

BEV_FSG_NC.jpg

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

All you need to get FS looking good is a good mesh and ground textures, land class produced with local knowledge is a big plus.

Have a look at the vids here: http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

TNW2016 uses more and diverse texture than any other program free or pay ware, only TNW2016 and Global mesh are installed into FS2004 to make the vids

Howard

I used BirdsEyeView for years and enjoyed it. I switched to Ground Environment Pro a couple of years just for the "change". What I like about them over this Natural World thing and EVO is that it has "adjustments" you can make with respect to changing the ground tiles. You don't get "stuck" with what someone else thinks is "correct", especially when many of their screenshots use ENB and such. JMHO
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used BirdsEyeView for years and enjoyed it. I switched to Ground Environment Pro a couple of years just for the "change". What I like about them over this Natural World thing and EVO is that it has "adjustments" you can make with respect to changing the ground tiles. You don't get "stuck" with what someone else thinks is "correct", especially when many of their screenshots use ENB and such. JMHO

Thanks for this tip. I've been looking at the GE Pro web site and have some questions. I can't find any way to contact them so I hope you can answer these.

1) Does GE Pro contain mesh?

2) If not, will it work ok with FSGenesis mesh installed?

3) How does GE Pro affect frame rates?

4) I've used Birds Eye View for two years and found that I really have no interest in creating and applying lots of different themes, so I suspect it will be the same for GE Pro. So I'm thinking that I should get the standard GE instead of GE Pro. What do you think of that?

5) If I do that I'm assuming that GE will adjust itself to the flight date and time that I select for a flight, is that correct?

6) How does GE affect frame rates?

Thanks very much,

Clayton

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

Thanks for this tip. I've been looking at the GE Pro web site and have some questions. I can't find any way to contact them so I hope you can answer these.

1) Does GE Pro contain mesh?

2) If not, will it work ok with FSGenesis mesh installed?

3) How does GE Pro affect frame rates?

4) I've used Birds Eye View for two years and found that I really have no interest in creating and applying lots of different themes, so I suspect it will be the same for GE Pro. So I'm thinking that I should get the standard GE instead of GE Pro. What do you think of that?

5) If I do that I'm assuming that GE will adjust itself to the flight date and time that I select for a flight, is that correct?

6) How does GE affect frame rates?

Thanks very much,

Clayton

GEPro is ground texture and landclass, it will work with any mesh though you may notice minor anomalies with some. I've seen little effect on frame rates, and my ancient system struggles to maintain 30fps in some areas. There are some configuration options, but I merely did a default install and haven't touched it since.

Pros and cons - for me the major pro is the terrain is much more detailed and does an excellent job of simulating a 3D view with a 2D image; the major con is that these textures are applied globally, so a rainforest in Brazil looks like deciduous woods in North America which looks like jungle in Vietnam.

GEPro is ground texture and landclass, it will work with any mesh though you may notice minor anomalies with some. I've seen little effect on frame rates, and my ancient system struggles to maintain 30fps in some areas. There are some configuration options, but I merely did a default install and haven't touched it since.

Pros and cons - for me the major pro is the terrain is much more detailed and does an excellent job of simulating a 3D view with a 2D image; the major con is that these textures are applied globally, so a rainforest in Brazil looks like deciduous woods in North America which looks like jungle in Vietnam.

Ok, thanks. That gives me hope for using this. I've just recently tried mesh for the first time and really like it and have been planning on getting more, for Europe and USA. I'm in the mode to get things better looking. I've heard about "landclass" scenery before but don't know what it means. Can you explain it?

Thanks again,

Clayton

Isn't that kinda the same thing?

Here's the kicker:

If you run Active Sky, it has an option to load the appropriate GE Pro texture set (Bright sun, semi-shade, whatever) immediately before starting up the sim for you.

You don't get more authentic than that I think.

I don't always use that option as it takes a little longer to get a flight going, but when I do it is certainly rewarding.

I want to thank all who have responded to this thread, and especially CSMJ, who asked several questions I was to naive to ask. Your answers have all been informative, but have left me somewhat confused. So, there remain a few questions that do require an answer...

1.) FSGenesis is a terrain mesh, yes or no?

2.) A terrain mesh requires a landclass over it, yes or no?

These are important,

3.) Does one terrain mesh interfere with another? In other words, can two mesh products be resident on the sim, yes or no?

3-A.) In other words, is my FreeFlow New England interfering with the new FSGenesis installed after it, yes, no, maybe? If yes, or maybe, how do I go about finding out? Do I have to uninstall it, or can I simply uncheck it in the scenery section?

4.) If yes, is FSGenesis predominant, yes or no?

5.) will GE, GEPro, BEV all work equally well with the FSGenesis, yes or no?

Now this one, not a yes or no question, but important...

6.) What is it that GEPro will do for my install that GE will not?

I find this a daunting, frustrating and confusing subject. In many, many years of slight sims (all the way back to Bruce Artwick), I've never understood the subject, so I've never done much about it. I look to this forum for guidance, assistance and education. If there is a better forum for me to ask these questions, could someone point me towards it?

Thanks...

Klee,

Think of mesh as the skeleton of the sim, it defines the lumps and bumps, hills and valleys.

Also think of mesh as a grid, like a window screen.

The points where the horizontal and vertical lines cross are the data points that define the elevation in the sim. FS interpolates the data between the points to fill in as needed.

Mesh resolution is the distance between the data points. So 38m (meter) mesh has four times as many data points as 76m mesh resulting in more detail.

FS displays the highest available resolution mesh at the users plane and steps down the resolution in rings leading out from your position.

You can have as much mesh installed as you want, FS will sort it out. There is no harm in having multiple mesh files covering the same area.

There is a bug in FS9 where it reads mesh priority in reverse order as compared to other scenery elements.

So if you have two different mesh for the same area, at the same resolution, FS9 will user the mesh with lower priority in the Scenery Library.

If FFNE has mesh it is probably more in tune with their other scenery elements so you would want it lower in the Scenery Library than any global mesh products.

Because of this I keep all of my FSGenesis mesh at the top of the Scenery Library.

Any addons that have local mesh will be below the FSGenesis so the local mesh will be used instead of the FSGenesis, if they are the same resolution.

Granted, with all of this being said, you would probably have to look pretty hard to see any difference between the addon local mesh and the FSGenesis.

Now that we have the mesh we need to drape textures over it.

What textures go where is defined by the landclass files.

RE: question #2, yes, you need landclass, the sim will not run without it.

Addon landclass is more realistic than the default landclass meaning that a lot of the small towns missing in the default sim will show up with addon lanclass.

Remember that FS only has a limited amount of land classes to draw from so landclass scenery (as opposed to photoreal) will never perfectly match the real world.

Hope this helps.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I want to thank all who have responded to this thread, and especially CSMJ, who asked several questions I was to naive to ask. Your answers have all been informative, but have left me somewhat confused. So, there remain a few questions that do require an answer...

1.) FSGenesis is a terrain mesh, yes or no?

2.) A terrain mesh requires a landclass over it, yes or no?

These are important,

3.) Does one terrain mesh interfere with another? In other words, can two mesh products be resident on the sim, yes or no?

3-A.) In other words, is my FreeFlow New England interfering with the new FSGenesis installed after it, yes, no, maybe? If yes, or maybe, how do I go about finding out? Do I have to uninstall it, or can I simply uncheck it in the scenery section?

4.) If yes, is FSGenesis predominant, yes or no?

5.) will GE, GEPro, BEV all work equally well with the FSGenesis, yes or no?

Now this one, not a yes or no question, but important...

6.) What is it that GEPro will do for my install that GE will not?

I find this a daunting, frustrating and confusing subject. In many, many years of slight sims (all the way back to Bruce Artwick), I've never understood the subject, so I've never done much about it. I look to this forum for guidance, assistance and education. If there is a better forum for me to ask these questions, could someone point me towards it?

Thanks...

1) Yes.

2) I don't think so. I'm not certain what a landclass is, but I've seen several remarks that it's best if done by someone with local knowledge of the area so I think it's some sort of accuracy enhancement for placement of objects, or something like that. I've also seen remarks to the effect that the benefits of mesh can be even better with a good landclass involved. So I don't think it's required. FSGenesis mesh has certainly benefitted my scenery where I've tried it and I have no landclass products installed (that I know of).

3) I think so, though "interfere" may not be the right term. I think if one is installed over another the first one's files will be overwritten, but I'm not certain. I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

5) I know from experience that BEV will, and I think so for the others as well because they are primarily texture files. Please see the terrain mesh article on my web site. It has before/after shots that clearly show the huge difference it makes.

6) I've been looking at those web sites (because I'm considering switching from BEV to one of them) and I think the Pro version has more ability to fine tune and make adjustments for weather, etc. I think I'll do one of them but am not sure yet if I'll want the Pro version.

I'm like you, it's all a bit confusing but slowly beginning to make sense. I too have been involved with FS for years, since version 4 back in the DOS days, but always as a very casual pursuit. Now that I'm retired I can spend more time with it and am enjoying it very much and am in the mood to make some improvements.

I think this is the best forum for this.

Clayton

Klee,

Think of mesh as the skeleton of the sim, it defines the lumps and bumps, hills and valleys...

RE: question #2, yes, you need landclass, the sim will not run without it.

Addon landclass is more realistic than the default landclass meaning that a lot of the small towns missing in the default sim will show up with addon lanclass.

Hope this helps.

peace,

the Bean

Very informative Bean thank you!

Clayton

Well, since I find many "answers" to the questions to be maybe a little "misleading" and many of the responders to really not have much "experience" with the topics covered and many seem to be "newbies" to these things ...... I offer this as a quick primer, applicable to both FS2004 (Yah!) and FSX (blasphemy as it comes rolling off my keyboard .... ptooie!)

www.bobholland.com/fs/bbgrfs.pdf

Hope it helps and clears up some fogginess in some readers minds .... oh, weather engines .... another topic!

P.S.

A bit dated, but don't let that turn you off .... some definitions never change

ALSO ... this might bring up how to arrange by scenery priority, so here's ONE way of logically doing it:

"Scenery Library" order by scenery type:

Airport Scenery and Textures

City Scenery and Textures

Regional Scenery and Textures

Landclass

Terrain Mesh-19 m

Terrain Mesh-38 m

Terrain Mesh-76 m

Terrain Mesh-90m

Terrain Mesh-ETC. (Increasing Numerically/Decreasing Resolution)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.... I'm not certain what a landclass is...

Landclass files tell the sim what textures to place where. They are relatively small since they are nothing but tabulations of tile coordinates with the associated texture file name - this tile is farmland, that tile is forest, etc.

Landclass editing isn't difficult, there are a couple of freeware utilities to help, but it can be tedious since you are constantly scrolling through dozens of one type of texture to mix-and-match them to the area. For example I created a representation of the small town where I grew up (population about 750 at that time), this area of perhaps a square mile occupied me for five hours as I cherry-picked small town textures to best match the satellite image I had (edited from memory to remove items that weren't there in the sixties); it could be much better but at that point i decided to leave well enough alone.

One issue with add-on landclass is the author often has different textures than someone using his file, so what you see may not be what you expected (and a simple typo can result in a few acres of farmland appearing downtown or a couple of desert tiles in the middle of a forest).

ALSO ... this might bring up how to arrange by scenery priority, so here's ONE way of logically doing it:

"Scenery Library" order by scenery type:

Airport Scenery and Textures

City Scenery and Textures

Regional Scenery and Textures

Landclass

Terrain Mesh-19 m

Terrain Mesh-38 m

Terrain Mesh-76 m

Terrain Mesh-90m

Terrain Mesh-ETC. (Increasing Numerically/Decreasing Resolution)

This is the advice you will find almost everywhere regarding mesh, place it at the bottom.

I personally believe this is the most commonly given wrong advice regarding FS9. I've found placing mesh at the top causes the least issues with scenery. The creators of VOZ were the first to insist mesh should be placed at the top of the scenery order. I also placed mesh at the bottom prior to this as it was the most common advice given. The VOZ team were questioned "why at the top?" when suggesting to place mesh at the top of the pile. I read many threads asking the question but there was never a real reason given, the question often sidestepped completely. I would say they simply didn't understand why this needed to be done themselves but found mesh at the top likely resolved a few issues within the VOZ project.

I decided I wouldn't take either VOZ or FS users advice as to where mesh should be placed so experimented myself over a long period of time. I found mesh at the top causes the least mesh v scenery issues in FS9. Matter of fact, off the top of my head I can't think of one instant it created problems! I am totally convinced now mesh at the top works best. I have found many examples over time where some scenery will have problems with mesh at the bottom but place mesh at the top, everything works great.

It doesn't seem logical to have mesh at the top as we all think in a 3 dimensional sense regarding how things 'should' work. I don't think it's as a linear process as this in FS and the scenery structure within the FS program does not always function as we would logically expect.

Mark Daniels

The bottom line on Scenery Library priority is it only matters on like elements.

Where you put landclass as compared to mesh does not matter.

The only value in Glenn's suggestion to separate the different mesh resolutions is to easily enable/disable them for testing.

I dumped all of my global mesh into one folder and have never had a problem with it.

I also keep it at the top of the Scenery Library.

And if you do not believe me, maybe you wil believe Holger Sandmann.

The following was posted by him on the VOZ forum, many moons ago...

Posted on VOZ forums October 10,2007

Hi guys,

lot's of confusion here, indeed Grin

So here's the scoop:

FS knows several different categories of landscape elements: terrain mesh, ground textures (landclass plus autogen), vector and polygon data (streams, roads, water bodies, etc.), airfield data (AFCAD) and custom objects (building models).

The important thing to remember is that FS loads files by category meaning scenery library position is relevant only within a category not between categories.

In other words, it does not matter whether mesh file entries are above or below land class file entries, or water files below AFCADs etc. FS will sort it out just fine.

So why the often mixed message about priorities in the scenery library?

First, there is the issue of priority of terrain mesh files. FS will automatically display the local mesh file with the highest level of detail (LOD), regardless of where its entry is in the scenery library. The only time scenery library priority comes into play is if there are overlapping mesh files of the same LOD. In FS2002 and FSX, the rule for this case is handled logically: the mesh of the same LOD but with higher display priority in the scenery library menu (i.e., above the other mesh entry) will be used. For some strange reason, in FS9 this rule is reversed; it's the mesh file lower down in the menu that will be displayed.

Since FSGenesis, FSGlobal, etc. are considered base mesh files, and other scenery add-ons may include their own mesh file of the same LOD, the suggestion for FS9 users is to place the library entries of FSGenesis etc. at the top of the scenery library menu. That way the local mesh files will be used in their own coverage area. Again, it's the opposite if you're using FS2002 or FSX!

For example, our FS9 Vancouver+ product includes custom 38-m terrain mesh files. The Canadian parts of FSGenesis' 38-m Cordillera files are similar but not identical (different processing). The difference isn't major but you'd notice it at bridge ramps, helipads, etc. If the Vancouver+ scenery library entries were placed above the FSGenesis entries it's the FSGenesis mesh that would be displayed, which is undesirable.

In short, if you have installed add-ons with terrain mesh of the same LOD then you need to consider scenery library position. If you don't then it doesn't matter where your mesh file entries are relative to one another or other entries.

The other issue is that complex add-ons like VOZ or Misty/Tongass Fjords require a specific order of their multiple scenery library entries so that local excludes work correctly. That's the only other case in which order of scenery library entries is important. The add-on's manual should give the required order of entries.

Actually, there's one more case: if you have different airport facility (AFCAD) files of the same airfield in separate scenery library entries then it's the one with the highest priority that will be used. That's why many people suggest that all AFCAD files be placed in a single add-on folder (usually \Addon Scenery\scenery) so that duplicates are easier to spot. Alternatively, tools that detect duplicates can be used to prevent issues with AFCAD files.

Of course, there is something to be said for keeping a scenery library with many add-on entries in some kind of order. For example, I sort my library by region/continent so that I can spot more easily whether there may be potential overlaps or conflicts between specific entries.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Holger

Never argue with idiots.

Thanks for the great reference StringBean, it really explains everything. I missed it over at VOZ but it contains parts I suspected but was not certain of. Especially the part quoted below as this often causes issues for people:

Since FSGenesis, FSGlobal, etc. are considered base mesh files, and other scenery add-ons may include their own mesh file of the same LOD, the suggestion for FS9 users is to place the library entries of FSGenesis etc. at the top of the scenery library menu. That way the local mesh files will be used in their own coverage area. Again, it's the opposite if you're using FS2002 or FSX!

Mark Daniels

There is a HUGE wealth of information in this thread - Wow!!! I love it! Thank you so much for the advice everyone, and especially StringBean for the link to Holger's VOZ Forum instructions.

I have owned and used every single terrain mesh product and landclass product and ground texture product sold... with the exception of 'The Natural World' which I have not ordered yet, but have toyed with the idea somewhat.

Ground Environment Pro (GEP) is a fantastic product, does a great job of matching tiles directly to the weather (IF) you are using ActiveSky 6.5 and does a fairly good job. However, to get the best look, MANY sets of tiles are required to be created, based on various weather categories. These can eat up a LOT of HDD space quickly and usually require running the process overnight because of time needed.

FS9 EVO (latest is EVO 2015) is a fantastic full texture replacement, which I cannot recommend enough!! Sascha has created an absolutely beautiful package - the only thing still missing are the Spring textures, which he is working on. I install everything in the package, then install REXFS2004 OverDriveHD replacing the sky, cloud, water, taxiway, runway and reflections. I keep the FS9 EVO halos and other texture items in place.

For weather, the fastest loading engine I know of is FSrealWX PRO. It's freeware and is amazing! I use the REXFS2004 only for creating/installing textures. Otherwise, it resides on a separate drive. HiFi ActiveSkyEvolution (ASE) weather engine software is simply amazing in every aspect, but can be a little taxing on the system if it's older. It is FULL featured and I still haven't even come close to fully using it all. I never fly without realtime weather loaded, unless I am just testing something. All regular flights are real-weather data always! Just my personal preference. haha

FSGenesis has always been my choice for high-quality terrain mesh. I own the entire FS9 & FSX world in every LOD level. I was a Galaxy member when Justin was running it alone. The savings where insane! I have recently purchased the latest and most recent releases to complete my 19m collection.

For references to what the different product can look like in the FS9 simulator, here are links to my past postings. The software products used in each posting are listed on each topic page. I hope this helps you. ~Glenn

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?246425-FS9-The-POWER-of-using-the-right-add-ons

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?247057-PNW-gt-(4)-Teaser-Shots-of-Upcoming-Post-featuring-Beech-Duchess

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?251739-FS9-Flying-the-Piper-Dakota-II-near-Lake-George-New-York

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?247356-PNW-Flying-the-Beech-Duchess-from-Salem-to-Olympia

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?283683-Cutting-the-October-skies-above-Hickory-NC-with-the-Piper-Arrow-IV

All of these pictures are from 2014 and back earlier. I don't have access to my 2015 pictures on this laptop. Sorry.

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

This is the advice you will find almost everywhere regarding mesh, place it at the bottom.

I personally believe this is the most commonly given wrong advice regarding FS9. I've found placing mesh at the top causes the least issues with scenery.

I've used FSGenesis mesh (as well as others) for ages. Always kept them in separate folders to categorize them. All folders in the FS2004\Addon Scenery folder. Always kept mine near bottom of scenery hierarchy with NO problems in all those years. It appears it's really personal choice.

Mesh Folders.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both FSGenesis (38m, LOD 20) and Ultimate Terrain have been installed. Unfortunately, they were added using the installers that came with them and not the way Stringbean suggest a few replys back. I have had the devils own time getting things reasonably normal, and I do not know if what I have now is correct, or an exaggeration of reality in terms of land masses. Once UT was in, I configures it with everything set, fired up the sim and had ghost shorelines, ghost landmasses, ghost roads, it was a real mess. After several hours and some help from the Bean, I got rid of the double shoreline etc, etc, but to get rid of them, I had to turn off "enhanced lakes, coasts and shorelines" in UT. Seems to me, I've negated a significant reason for buying UT, but it does look better. Anybody got any ideas why this is happening? By the way, Columbia Gorge has been shut down.

In addition to a solution to that problem, I need textures now. Do I need GE Pro, or will GE do the job? How about FS9 Evolution, can I get that for just North America?

Thanks...

...to get rid of them, I had to turn off "enhanced lakes, coasts and shorelines" in UT. Seems to me, I've negated a significant reason for buying UT...

You did . Turn them back on and then check several areas around the US.

If rerunning the UT setup tool does not fix this then you have a conflict with another addon.

This conflict will be somewhat local. If it is only in the New England area then you will have to remove FFNE.

Too many people use UT for it to be the cause of the problem.

UT disables many default terrain files and replaces them with more accurate data.

If an addon, such as FFNE, has already done this and replaced the default files with new files that do not have the same filename, UT has no way of knowing the new file names to disable them.

This leads to things like double coastlines.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Archived