Distorted lights in multiple monitors

jring2

HELP!! :)

This is my first effort into multiple monitors. I am using "surround" on my video card with three monitors and it does a fairy decent job giving me a front/sides view. All monitors of the same pixel setting and are the same size. One major exception on the fairly decent appearance. The lights are off the chart. Dash lights in the cockpit sometimes even drown out the instruments making them un-view-able. Runway lights glow 20K out filling the horizon. I tried to find the Halo file mentioned in other posts, but none of the links worked. Besides, it seemed that would only replace the default lighting and a lot of my add-on aircraft have their own halo files. All lighting appears distorted.

Is there a software fix that will solve the light issues with multiple monitors?

Also on the side panels there is some distortion to the image as the program is displaying a flat image on an angled screen. Any solution for that?

(My fsx.cfg file has the following settings; WideViewAspect=True & [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 .0]Mode=5760x1080x32)

Thanks in advance.

Cropped image attached

Image1.jpg

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Does your version of REX come with texture replacements? If so, choose the lights that look the smallest. Rex4 Textures has a preset specifically for multi-monitor with very small lights, maybe REX2 has that one as well? Translation: they switch out the main halo.bmp file for a new one.

You can try to turn down the scalar settings in the fsx.cfg too, a value below 1.0 (like 0.5, 0.2) will make them smaller

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0

If your aircraft have their own lighting, then there is nothing you can do - except editing them yourself.

"Strechted screen" that unfortunately is just how it is with FSX. I get around this by using TrackIR with the three screens and setting the zoom to 1.00 - 1.10.

Thanks for the input nuitkati. I have the RUNWAY_LIGHTS setting in my fsx.cfg set at 0.1 and REX at the smallest light setting but no joy. See attached jpg.

I am not sure how to edit the halo files to make them work. Each jpg seems to have four separate halos and is only a 256 x 256 image. Do I edit each individual one in the image or simply resize the image? Is there any other jpg I need to edit?

phnl.jpg

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Do you see this effect while only using one monitor?

Nope. And if I switch back to a single monitor it goes away.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Thanks for the input nuitkati. I have the RUNWAY_LIGHTS setting in my fsx.cfg set at 0.1 and REX at the smallest light setting but no joy. See attached jpg.

I am not sure how to edit the halo files to make them work. Each jpg seems to have four separate halos and is only a 256 x 256 image. Do I edit each individual one in the image or simply resize the image? Is there any other jpg I need to edit?

Those look pretty good already.

What you do with the halo.bmp is, you reduce the four light splashes by painting the peripheric "bloom" over with black color. Make them really small. But make sure you keep a copy of the original.

I have no knowledge of how lights work, but here is what I have observed. If you set WideViewAspect to False, the lights will render smaller. When you change this flag FSX changes the way it renders the 3D scene to maintain a fixed horizontal FOV (WideViewAspect=False) or a fixed vertical FOV (WideViewAspect=True). I presume the rendering of lights is affected in the same way.

If you cannot zoom out far enough with WideViewAspect=False you can use a nippy little utility called fsxFOV3.exe (Google it). This allows you to vary the FOV dynamically without touching the FSX zoom control at all. Problem solved. (Well, averted.)

In answer to your other question, the only way to avoid the distortion of your image at the extremes (left and right) is to avoid using too wide a field of view (zooming out too far, in other words). Your aspect ratio is extreme and so you are inevitably going to get some distortion if you want to maintain a reasonable vertical FOV. Using a head tracker helps, but it doesn't eliminate the problem, which is a consequence of needing to view the world through a letter-box (probably 'mail slot' or something if you're American!)

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks for the input, Mark. Tried the WideViewAspect=false. Definitely needed "true" for the three monitors. WIll live with the "mail'slot' effect. :)

Nuitkati, I edited the Halo images to 1/2 their original size. The result was decent. I probably could have reduced them a tad more. Thanks for the input.

cropped image

phnl2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Perhaps you missed (or misunderstood) the part about fsxFOV3?

Yes. You're right. Since my lights were now not an issue I did a cursory read of your post. I had solved the lighting problem and did a feeble attempt at finding the fsxFOV3. However, now, spurred on by this post of yours, I found the utility. Nice little add-on I must say! Still tweaking to make it a better view. It does remove some of the distortion at the edges of the "mail slot" view.

Here's the link to save someone else the search. It was hard to find the file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4lfqq0DpUo-X2VaVHlxWHdST1E&usp=sharing&tid=0B4lfqq0DpUo-WGV0OVVTS1Z0LVk#list

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Should i post the halo.zip file somewhere for you? i saved it.

It it allows for posting elsewhere, it would be great to post in this file library. if not able to be posted, IM me and I will give you my email. Since it had been posted somewhere as freeware I am pretty sure that's kosher.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

If you search the Avsim library for: halo.bmp you find replacement files. Two separate packages there.

Searching for halo.bmp in our file library here finds 4 .zip packages.

Thanks! Got them. They're a good fix!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Archived