USMC F/A-18 Hornet crash near RAF Lakenheath

There was an F/A-18 Hornet crash in England today, my condolences to the pilot, and his family.

The aircraft was from VMFA-232, out of MCAS Miramar

Here is the story.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34593948

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

Thanks for the link! As a former USMC aviator I always grieve whenever there is another loss!

It's ironic, he was returning from a combat posting! I had two friends who lived through two tours of Vietnam but crashed into a mountain in California.

I think sometimes when we who were in combat weren't being shot at, we got a little careless. I hope that's not the case this time!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

There was some witnesses stating he gave his life steering the striken bird away from any houses in the area and into an open field. There were also witness statements saying there was a parachute spotted.

Putting those two together, from my total inexperience in investigation, it sounds to me like he steered the bird away from houses after a rendezvouz incident (engines sounded shrill or screaming. Did Iron Betty break off and spew fuel down the intakes?), but in doing so, it got out the ejection envelope.

If this is true, the pilot is a true hero. My condoolences go out to his family and friends. He was a hero for having the guts to fly in combat in the first place, but giving his life to protect others from a disabled bird is going above and beyond. I salute him.

VMFA-232 was the sister squadron of VMFA-333, when I was stationed with them in Beaufort, SC. Back in the old Phantom days.

Pat☺(Present, ARMS!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for the update Pat!! It's always terrible to know a combat veteran lost his/her life in a noncombat situation! But I'm sure the family will be comforted knowing he did all he could to save others!

All gave some. Some gave all! I'll pray for his family! And there's hopefully a place for superheros like him where the skies are clear and the wind is at their back!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Latest news I could find in the BBC from the area it happened was that a witness saw "a bright flash and a trail of smoke" just before the plane crashed. Possible bird-strike? Engine FOD incident?

Theoretically, that's why Naval aircraft tend, overall, to be twin engine birds. It's a really good idea to have a spare if all there is is the boat to land on! I am wondering if perhaps he was too low and heavy for a single engine flight regime?

He was supposed to be joinging other birds and a refueler for the flight back to Miramar. Standard proceedure for long duration flights.

They also confirmed that the pilot did eject, but was killed. I am thinking he rode it just a hair too long, trying to prevent civilian casualties, and was outside the envelope for the NACES seat.

Just my few and far between thoughts. My deepest condolances to any of his family and squadron mates left to mourn his passing. It was a super heroic act, trying to prevent civvy casualties that way.

Fair skies and good winds to you, brother Marine, Maj. Taj Sareen!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived