A newbie wanting some information to get started

Desgyz

Hello,

So my story is I bought FSX:Steam and to be honest I had no idea why other then it was because it was cheap. After a bit of research I saw x-plane and boy was I keen to buy it. After looking around youtube I saw Matt Davis, all of his videos intrigued me. They way everything look real and how he made it real, it just didn't look like FSX. I did learnt that there are heaps of different addons to enhance the simulator to make it "real". Which may save me money on buying xPlane.

My questions is: What software should I get and how should I set it up? I want to have a realistic as possible flight. Which means from catering to good scenery and weather how do i do it.

PS: I know this is bad but I did get to try Prepar3d and a bunch of addons but I could set it up to be "realistic", thus why I am now going to try it on FSX.

Regards,

Desgyz

Before forking over a "whole bunch of dough" for payware aircraft, sceneries, airport services, etc let's see what kind of system you are running. For what you want to do you will probably need a CPU running in the mid 4 GHZ range. Please list your specs.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

A search for the Holy Grail!

So, there's FSX, about 9 years old, then FSX:SE, a modded & better, according to reports, version of FSX. Then we have P3D, now on version 3, (an updated & upgraded version of ESP, Microsoft's commercial version of FSX) that has been modded about 10 times now.

And of course X-Plane 9 & the new X-Plane 10!!

What to go for? Realism or immersion, or a combination of both?

As Mr Zippy says..... PC specs are VERY important & please give info.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My advice to all newcomers asking what addons to get is- DON'T! (at least not straight away).

Instead, give yourself a few weeks to get used to default FSX, then only buy a single addon, and when you're satisfied that it's working okay, think about getting another addon one at a time, there's no need to rush it.

if you glance around the FSX forum you'll see that many people run into trouble after installing an addon and are asking for help, as installing addons is like Russian roulette.

Personally I can't understand why people are "addon junkies" anyway, as I've had FSX for about 8 years and it's so beautiful that I've only installed a strip of photoscenery and some addon planes in all that time!

I mean, if you start dating a gorgeous woman you wouldn't ask her to wear a Wonder Woman outfit til you've at least got to know her for a week or two..:)

Archived