Problem with logic

shanwick

This isn't a joke question - I am seriously baffled by it. Here goes:

If I climb to 12,000 feet at 1,000 fpm it takes me 12 minutes. If I climb to 12,000 feet at 2,000 fpm it takes me 6 minutes.

Now if I climb to 12,000 feet at 1,500 fpm, which is halfway between 1,000 fpm and 2,000 fpm, logic says that it should take me 9 minutes which is halfway between 6 minutes and 12 minutes as above.

But 12,000 feet divided by 1,500 fpm gives me only 8 minutes which is correct.

I'm ignoring wind and pressure and assuming that I am starting from sea level - zero feet.

I'm missing a trick here but I'm danged if I know what :confused:

Dijvid

Don't try to overthink this scenario! From liftoff which starts the clock at 0 and for the first minute you climb 1500 feet. from minute 1 to the end of minute 2 you climb another 1500 feet (altitude now 3000 feet). Minute 2 to the end of minute 3 climb another 1500 feet. (Altitude now 4500 feet). Minute 3 to the end of minute 4, climb 1500 feet. (Altitude now 6000 feet) and so on! Minute 4 to end of minute 8, another 6,000 feet (Altitude now 12,000 feet). I think the confusing part is that the clock starts at 0 and ends at the end of 8 minutes makes you think of 9. Hell! Now I'm cornfused!:rolleyes:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Start you climb (and timer) at 1,000 ft by using auto pilot (auto throttle, etc) and use 1200 fpm to 13,000 ft. Should take you 10 minutes. Right? Or 11 minutes? (hehe).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Your logic of 9 is halfway between 12 and 6 is just fine.

I love that way of doing math. Tells me you aren't just following "the rules" but can actually play with the material. Good on you.

I guess the speed with which things happen in the cockpit teaches us that as well.

It was actually the "checking yourself using schoolboy math" that got you in the end. ("Schoolboy math" is often best done using a scrap of paper, or calculator. Especially divisions.)

And well spotted MrZippy.;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Math logic OK ..... spelling ..... not so much

Then tell me the correct way to spell "confusional".

Oh, and BTW, the study of numbers is called "mathematics" [note it's in the plural] which is why it's correctly abbreviated to "maths" and not "math" in England which is where the English language originated :cool: Lesson over :p

Dijvid

to 12,000'....

2000'/min= 6 min

4000'/min= 3 min

...so 3000'/min should = 4.5 min....I think we all know better.

Logic never beats math.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

to 12,000'....

2000'/min= 6 min

4000'/min= 3 min

...so 3000'/min should = 4.5 min....I think we all know better.

Logic never beats math.

peace,

the Bean

+1 I knew that had to be the answer! Good, logical explanation Bean. ;) It's not logical!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived