Weather Craziness!

andyjohnston

Yesterday I was flying an Antonov into Edmonton Intl, and the winds got so bad that at one point my ground speed dropped down to 20kts, even though the airspeed was still enough to keep the plane in the air.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I took a nice leisurely trip through Hurricane Joaquin this afternoon. I was using the

P-8 Poseidon, which has actually been used there lately. Most seemed to be off the

west coast of Bermuda when I was there. I was using radar, and wind speeds to gauge

the boundaries of the storm. Flew the whole system from east to west, and then turned

back east until I got back into the winds, and then turned due south to see how far it

extended. Not too far south of Bermuda at that point.. So it was pretty much due west,

and maybe a bit to the north from Bermuda. The winds actually slowed down a bit during

the flight. Were running about 110 mph at the beginning, but slightly under 100 mph when

I ended the flight. Winds were a bit stronger on Bermuda when I quit, vs when I took off.

So I guess the strongest winds were brushing them at that time. I had to abort the landing

at Bermuda, as the winds were too high.. :p

p-8.jpg

Yesterday I was flying an Antonov into Edmonton Intl, and the winds got so bad that at one point my ground speed dropped down to 20kts, even though the airspeed was still enough to keep the plane in the air.

You were flying into the new Communist block, officials name is now Redmonton, I hope you had all your papers in order... comrade.

Welcome to RW conditions. Crossing the Grapevine into Nv. from SoCal. an airspeed reading of 120knts combined with a SOG of under 50knts wasn't at all uncommon. It was plumb embarrassing to be passed on the highway below by station wagons out of "Vacation" while showing a constant 120knts.
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I took a nice leisurely trip through Hurricane Joaquin this afternoon. I was using the

P-8 Poseidon, which has actually been used there lately. Most seemed to be off the

west coast of Bermuda when I was there. I was using radar, and wind speeds to gauge

the boundaries of the storm. Flew the whole system from east to west, and then turned

back east until I got back into the winds, and then turned due south to see how far it

extended. Not too far south of Bermuda at that point.. So it was pretty much due west,

and maybe a bit to the north from Bermuda. The winds actually slowed down a bit during

the flight. Were running about 110 mph at the beginning, but slightly under 100 mph when

I ended the flight. Winds were a bit stronger on Bermuda when I quit, vs when I took off.

So I guess the strongest winds were brushing them at that time. I had to abort the landing

at Bermuda, as the winds were too high.. :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183098[/ATTACH]

It's a good thing you didn't get stuck in the Bermuda Triangle!!

I have been having the same weather crazyness in the EU with REX. I had a 96kts crosswinds for 2 hours. Totally un-flyable above 25k ft

Well, depends on the direction. ;) I'm a happy camper if the wind is shoving

me along. I see winds aloft over 100 knots in the U.S. quite often in the winter.

I flew around the world last winter, and on the Boston to London leg, I saw the

highest winds aloft that I had ever seen in the sim using real wx. I think over

160 knots at one point. I was sure glad it was at my six.. The tailwinds were

strong for a large part of the trip, and made it to London in near record time.

If I had been going from London to Boston, the head winds would have cramped

my style a good bit, and it would have been a long flight. :(

Well, depends on the direction. ;) I'm a happy camper if the wind is shoving

me along. I see winds aloft over 100 knots in the U.S. quite often in the winter.

I flew around the world last winter, and on the Boston to London leg, I saw the

highest winds aloft that I had ever seen in the sim using real wx. I think over

160 knots at one point. I was sure glad it was at my six.. The tailwinds were

strong for a large part of the trip, and made it to London in near record time.

If I had been going from London to Boston, the head winds would have cramped

my style a good bit, and it would have been a long flight. :(

I agree! We usually planned our Vegas to S.Cal. trips on Sunday afternoons assuming we'd have the tailwinds as we crossed the mountains. When they weren't there the ground crew was very unhappy they had to wait so long on us to get there before our field shut down for the night!:mad:

Archived