stop prop animation

bcis007

Press 'Ctrl+Shift+F1'. Shuts the engine (and prop) OFF. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

What you want is to not 'see' the prop. You can change your 'Eyepoint' to be above the cockpit roof in the VC view. Press 'Shift+Enter' until your 'Eyepoint' is high enough. Done. To reset view (so you can see the panel/instuments again) press 'Ctrl+Space'. Hope this helps you.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi, if you want to get rid of the prop animation, you need to modify the file "Prop_C172.dds" in the C172 textures folders and make it completely transparent. The turning prop is still there, but you can't see it anymore.

If you want to do it yourself, get the "DXTBMP" tool. With it, you open the file, paint the main texture completely white and the alpha channel texture completely black, apply the alpha to the texture, save as DDS. Done. (btw. I suggest making a backup copy of the original file...)

If you want it the quick way, drop me a PM here in the forum and I will give you the file (DropBox)

2015-9-29_10-28-49-109.jpg

You don't even have to do anything to the RGB channels at all, just paint the Alpha channel pure black (RGB:0,0,0)...

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I managed to do it. Hurray!:)

a question though. Two really.

Before i began I made a copy of the .dds image/texture file in a seperate folder. Also a copy in each c172 ..\texture folder as name Prop_C172.dds.orig.bak

Double safety.

I did the editing in a copy I had placed on my desktop.

My question. I always had trouble using dxtbmp. In this case:

when I had opened the image, sent it to editor, saved, and reloaded in dxtbmp, so far all good, i went to change the alpha. There the 'trouble':

-i clicked alpha-- "new alpha (black)"

but the new alpha, visible on the right, was white! Why?

-the box "save alpha with image" was selected. I saved and re-opened the image. Alpha still white. Prop not fixed.

-i opened the .dds again. Clicked invert alpha. NOW it was black. "save with image" was still checked. I saved. Re-opened to check. Alpha white again.

Why?

-I inverted alpha again. This time de-selected "save with alpha" then selected it again.

Saved.

Re-opened. This time the alpha was still black.

(and prop fixed.)

So, I got there eventually. But I'm left wondering. Why does dxtbmp not do what it says it will. Having to make backup files every step of the way, everything looking great but saving and finding out all is gone again, etc. It is getting on me nerves.

(thanks for the idea in the question, and thanks nuitkati dens the fix. This makes flying those single prop planes much more relaxing.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you saved 24 bit BMP's for editing, did you save both the RGB and alpha

images? Or did you save only the alpha for editing? That would work OK too, if you

had no plans to edit the RGB image. It sounds like the edited alpha file wasn't saved

correctly or something along those lines after you edited it. Otherwise when you loaded

it, it should have shown as you edited it.

I use GIMP and DXTbmp a lot, and have never had any problems. So there should be

no problem with DXTbmp itself.

That could be but I'm not sure. I used paint. And I just clicked save after making the main image white (used a brush). I did not specify how to save.

Does using Paint like that strip the alpha off an image?

Then I selected dxtbmp (had left it open) and clicked "reload image after editing". That worked because then the image was indeed white. The alpha was unchanged.

Then I clicked >alpha-"create alpha channel (black)"

The old alpha was gone. But the new one was not black as I had expected, but white.

(First I just saved and tried. But no success in fsx.)

(then I seperately created with paint a black image, a .bmp, 128x128 pixels, and imported that as alpha. That was a success, no more prop.)

Last I tried to avoid using paint again. Opened the white image (.dds) that had the old alpha. Clicked "create alpha channel (black)"

%

looked around and found "invert alpha" tried that. Now the alpha on the right showed as black.

%

Saving was not successfull the first time. Worked only after de-selecting and re-selecting "save alpha with image.

?was I supposed to also export the alpha and then make it black in paint? (bucket tool).

?does in dxtbmp "alpha-create alpha channel (black)" not create a black alpha automaticaly?

There is also "create alpha channel (green)" and that seems to do the exact same thing. It creates a white alpha, no green in sight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I saw again you asked about 24 bit. I did not end up with saved .bmp files.

I used "send to editor"

(Paint).

painted image white (bucket&brush).

Closed paint (did not close on every attempt, but no difference)

selected dxtbmp (still open)

clicked "reload after editing"

did the alpha.

Etc.

Not a saved .bmp in sight. Not on the desktop, where I had done the editing. Not in "users\my images"

(only the .bmp on the desktop that I had manually created with paint as alpha. Black 128x128. Dxtbmp was not involved with that file at all.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, new development...

I tried again:

create alpha channel (black)---> was white (as usual)

Clicked invert alpha ---> became black.

Saved and reopened.-----> alpha was White again! As if saving hadn't worked.

Closed dxtbmp.

pondered it. thought... let's try again.

opened the file with dxtbmp--------->Alpha now black!!!!!

It seems after saving and closing, I was to quick in opening the file. So the saving had not gone through yet. Patience young grasshopper....:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still wondering why "create alpha channel (black)" Does not create a black alpha.

(and why create alpha channel (green) does not show a green alpha.)

Does it only create a "channel" and is the green something I'm supposed to paint into the alpha myself?

I did see it is possible to "send alpha to editor". (when I do I see a white square there.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some expanation on DXTBMP and Alpha Channel, with an example:

-open a bmp, alpha is white (full opaque)

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150930145422_zpsmk31zs51.png

-when clicking "Create Alpha Channel (black)" all pure black (0,0,0) from the RGB will become full black in the alpha channel (full transparent)

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150930145452_zpsmeapf7jy.png

In the alpha channel, the border has become black. Not the full border and the number, as that's only "blackish", not (0,0,0)

-when clicking "Send Alpha to editor", the alpha is sent to Paint (or whatever you use).

After editing and saving, click "Refresh Alpha" to see the results in DXTBMP

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150930145555_zpsdpa2xpq1.png

I've changed the white into a lightgray. In alpha therms, this means "a tiny bit transparent"

-when finished, save the image in a proper format. As I use alpha with grayscales, extended bitmap DXT3 is the format to use.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150930145644_zpspazcd55b.png

-After running it though Airport Design Editor, this is what it looks like in the sim

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150930150821_zpsaejsjbmo.png

To come back to the propdisk.bmp, all you need to do is "Send Alpha to Editor", make the image full black, save it and "Refresh Alpha". Save it in the same format as it loaded (check the window header when opening).

Hope this helps,

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

This was a .dds but I don't think that matters.

Ok, I see, I thought the alpha (on the right) would be black already. I had no idea sending to editor was required. Thanks, I won't forget in future.

That explains why I always had trouble using dxtbmp creating alpha's up 'till now.

All cleared up, thanks. And apology for cutting into the thread.

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can I clear up a few misconceptions?

Number one, 24 bit images do not have an Alpha channel.

No matter what you do, if you save as 24 bit and reopen in DXTBmp the Alpha window will be white because there is no Alpha channel in a 24 bit image.

I believe the "Create Alpha" menu options in DXTBmp are only for use in adding an Alpha to an image that does not have one.

If you want to edit an Alpha, send it to the editor.

Worked only after de-selecting and re-selecting "save alpha with image.

I am not sure what this means as I have used DXTBmp for years and never have I seen that option.

Are you confusing the MipMaps "Include when saving" checkbox for this?

MipMaps have nothing to do with Alpha channel.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

You are right, I was looking at it crosseyed I guess. I was misttakenly looking at the mipmap 'include when saving box'.

(the reason I thought it was required was because at first it seemed the alpha wasn't saved. Turned out that when after saving I opened the image to check the result, I did this so quickly that the save had not gone through.)

Btw. at no point did I create a white 24 bit .bmp and then add a black alpha to that.

Or any other .bmp for that matter.

I only worked from the Prop_C172.dds file each time.

---------------------

Stringbean, the way you say it it seems as if you mean: "Alpha -- create alpha channel (black)" will work, but only if the image has no alpha yet.

Did I understand you correctly there?

I find it a bit surprising, because if I select that option I get a message:

"This will replace the Alpha channel currently present, Any Black will be rendered as fully transparent. Are you sure you wish to continue? Yes/No."

So I think it will add a alpha, even if the image originally already had one.

Actually, I'm sure it does.

The Prop_C172.dds has a complex alpha. Black small square with white fading bits.

Choosing "Alpha -- create alpha channel (black)" wipes that alpha clean and replaces it with a white square.

---------------

Thanks for the pointer about the mipmaps.

Just so you know, I'm prepared to let it go now. I think I know what to do when I need to use dxtbmp again to create an alpha.

Al it was really is that I expected the alpha as displayed as the small square on the right to turn black right away. Now I know that won't happen I know what to look out for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I always save for 24 bit BMP as far as the RGB image to be edited. But thinking about

it, I'm not sure if the alpha image is 24 bit or not.. It might be, but I don't think it would

need to be, being it's a grey scale image. So it might just be 16 bit or whatever..

I've repainted a load of airplanes using Gimp and DXTBMP. And to avoid confusion and

mayhem, I have a whole slew of folders to keep everything organized. So many changes

during the typical repaint..

IE: the main repaint folder is TEX, and it has an ori folder for original dds files,

bmp and bmpnight for 24 bit BMP's that DXT spits out from the DDS files. Also an

orinight for night DDS files.

An alpha, and alpha night folder, which is where the exported from DXT alpha images go.

Then newbmp and new bmpnight folders for edited BMP's. Ditto for new alpha, newalpha-

night.

Then a c "complete" folder for all the new DDS files to go after painting and converting.

Each one of those folders has separate folders for each plane I paint.

And I have a few others for special projects like HUD's, props, etc.. Those final DDS's

also go to the c folder when done.

Lots of folders and subfolders, but I'd end up in a rubber room trying to keep track of

everything if I didn't do it that way.. :confused:

Nearly every plane I fly, I did the final paint job on it. IE: I painted all my 737's that

I use, my older Spartan, Beech 18, etc, etc..

I always do the paint on my usual SWA jets as I'm ultra picky about the shade of blue

on those, both the canyon blue, and the dog on a stick blue.

I'll often go through 15-20+ versions before getting it just like I want, unless I get

lucky early. I have to test them, as the position of the sun, etc has a lot to do with

how they end up looking. I usually optimize for the bright side, and live with what I get

on the dark side.. I've pretty much narrowed down to what I'm currently using for those.

I looked at the newbmp subfolder for my SWA dog on a stick 737-700 "N908WN", and

I went through 26 versions before deciding on one.. And I ended up going back to about

version # 19 or 20 as my semi-final pick.. lol.. Can we spell picky? :rolleyes:

The dog on a stick blue has less red than the canyon blue..

I always save for 24 bit BMP as far as the RGB image to be edited.

Let's see, three channels (Red, Green, Blue) with 8 bits of color data per channel, per pixel...

3x8=24, yep got that one right.

But thinking about it, I'm not sure if the alpha image is 24 bit or not.. It might be, but I don't think it would need to be, being it's a grey scale image. So it might just be 16 bit or whatever..

Alpha channel is the same as RGB, 8 bits per pixel. Call it a grayscale, indexed color, 256 color image, they are all the same.

If we add the Alpha (8 bits) to the RGB (24 bits) we get, wait for it.....a 32 bit image!

[/end humor]

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Let's see, three channels (Red, Green, Blue) with 8 bits of color data per channel, per pixel...

3x8=24, yep got that one right.

Alpha channel is the same as RGB, 8 bits per pixel. Call it a grayscale, indexed color, 256 color image, they are all the same.

If we add the Alpha (8 bits) to the RGB (24 bits) we get, wait for it.....a 32 bit image!

[/end humor]

Actually when I checked a few alpha images, they show to be 8 bit images.

Most of my rgb images are 24 bit, but I saw one that was 32 bit.. ?? Not sure

why it was different unless maybe I saved it that way in Gimp without realizing it.

I guess the main reason I brought all that up was to show the difference in exporting

the images. The rgb images I save as 24 bit BMP's using the left side pulldown menu,

same as saving as DDS, etc. But the alpha images are exported for editing using the

alpha export button in the upper right part of the screen.

Archived