Windows 10 DVD player

drobson

It seems as though MS has decided that their Media player of previous versions was no good, so they left it out of win 10. What is everyone using to play movies DVDs/music CDs?

I guess this is what MS calls progress. Just remove stuff that works and don't give you an alternate.

Also, I have a printer that hasn't been useable since Win 7, but now one of my Win 10 machines will pickit up via the network, but my other 3 machines on the network with Win 10 can't see it. Jeez!

Disgusted!

Thanks,

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Microsoft wants you to buy their media player for Win 10. In other words, to use corporate-speak, they've "monetized" it.

VLC is the most popular free media player. The TLA (three-letter acronym) originally stood for Video LAN Client. It plays anything I throw at it except, according to the specs, Blu-Ray discs, which I don't use anyway.

The MPAA and Hollywood lawyers have never gone after VLC, even though its DVD codec isn't earning any royalties for the corporations. It's been around for years and, interesting enough, it is the alternate player for the infamous Popcorn Time free movie database, too.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Microsoft wants you to buy their media player for Win 10. In other words, to use corporate-speak, they've "monetized" it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

As I've stated time and time again, Microsoft never gives anything away! I expect we'll be seeing lots of similar comments about 10 as time goes on and more people run into costly issues in this "free" update. The devil, "monetizing" in this case, is in the hidden details!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, I thought that Windows Media Player as well as Media Center was not all that good anyway. I'm using Gom Player for my DVD's, movies, etc & Aimp for my audio.

I really like Aimp, as it's got great skins, including an Akai reel to reel player skin, I it looks cool playing audio. But, thats my personal prefs.

Can you actually buy a media player from Microsoft for Windows 10?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived