Hitting the Boat - Part 2

BillD22

In this series we return to those thrilling days of yesteryear and the USS Midway steaming off the coast of Pensacola Florida to finish up our initial carrier landing qualification flight in the T-28C in scenes from sometime in the mid 60s

[click on the images for a full screen view]

After a section flyover down the flightdeck we peel off from our wingman for a left downwind

dw.jpg

On the base leg about to turn final. Check gear, flaps, and hook down

bl.jpg

Lining up on the angle deck. This is it - "the big one" (no pressure - but don't screw up!!! :D:D:D)

L5.jpg

gr2.jpg

In the groove

gr.jpg

On deck. The sign sez we caught the #1 wire - definitely not the best but we got on the boat on the first try and didn't break the airplane so hopefully the LSO will cut us some slack and give us an "OK"

1w.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

Time to raise the hook and taxi forward to clear the deck. We have a couple of more launch and recoveries in front of us today before heading back to the beach and a well deserved round (or 2) at the "O" club bar. With any luck maybe Kelly McGillis will be there waiting for us to break into a chorus of "You've lost that luvin' feeling" :D:D:D

h1.jpg

Another great set of pics! Just as good as the first set :D

Thanks for TWO great posts.

Sorry I kinda went off-track on the first post, going on about AICarriers...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived