Morse Code beep sound problem

wmkj

Hi All,

Any advise on how to check the morse code beep sound? It suddenly didn't transmit any sound as usual when the plane has intercepted the VOR signal. However the VOR dial worked as normal. Tried to looked at the 'Setting' menu but unable to rectify. It happened to all my plane.

Well it didn't interfere with my flight, just wonder what happened :o

I saved this bunch of posts below a while back about the annoying morse blips-

------------------------------------------------------------

I had a problem with that morse code sound even with a Piper Cub that had no nav instruments. So I started FSX with the default Cessna 172 with the navigation system turned OFF, then swithched to the Piper Cub and the morse code sound was gone.

--------------------------------------------------

Don't turn on any of the audios that have Morse Code sounds like NAV1, NAV2, ADF, or DME.

It sounds like (no pun!) you have accidentally tripped the independent DME ident on one of your nav receivers. This feature does not occur on every plane but it is annoying. DME ident is seldom used, but notice that there are DME only navaids in certain places, so they need their own ident that your VOR receivers won't pick up.

Try using CNTR+4 QUICKLY (otherwise it may trip on again). Strangely, like a few other commands, this is not in the OPTIONS\CONTROLS\BUTTONS and KEYS menu feature in FSX - not sure about FS9.

There are customization choices for key assignments for:

adf #1 or 2 ident ON/OFF

VOR #1 or #2 ident ON/OFF

You can assign key strokes to them if you want to.

I assume you do have a radio setup that has an audio panel or individual ID buttons on any VOR/ADF control head.

Yes, ILS receivers have independent frequencies and IDs for different runways -however, other airports - an appropriate distance away - can have the same frequency (but not necessarily the same ID) on one of their ILSs.

You can find the ILS frequency in MAP view, zooming in on the ILS "fan" course figure, click on it and a window will pop up which shows the Runway, frequency and ILS course along with the ILS morse code identifier (four characters instead of three).

ICAO is International Civil Aviation organization. It is a standards consensus group on how to standardize all kinds of stuff, from aircraft design, airways structure, nomenclature and tons of other stuff.

Each identifier is, indeed, unique. The purpose of that morse code is to identify which station you're listening to. The identifier is shown on the charts for each station, in a little box that contains the 2 or 3 letters spelled out in dots and dashes, along with the actual letters of the ident (OAK for Oakland VOR, along with --- .- -.- for example), frequency, the name of the facility, and TACAN channel, if any. There is sometimes other data, too.

In the U.S. it's the FAA ID, not ICAO, most of which were assigned long before the ICAO ID was used in the U.S. I can't speak for how other countries do it, but I suspect it's similar.

Hi CptCaveman,

NAV 1 or NAV 2 usually the cause. Check your "ID" switch on the radio panel and the NV1/NV2 buttons at the bottom are not lit up.

You mean if it is not light up, the beep will sound? Sorry if I confused you, but I was wondering why there were no more sound (beep) when it intercepted the VOR frequency, when it was supposed to. :)

Hi ScatterbrainKid,

I saved this bunch of posts below a while back about the annoying morse blips-

Thanks for the information. I was actually trying to figure out why there were no more beep when it was supposed to. :confused: Yes at times it is annoying but other times it helps in identifying waypoints/locations. :o

You mean if it is not light up, the beep will sound? Sorry if I confused you, but I was wondering why there were no more sound (beep) when it intercepted the VOR frequency, when it was supposed to. :)

The NAV1 or NAV2 audio buttons need to be lighted to hear the audio Morse Codes.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You need to switch on cockpit sounds in FSX.

Make sure there is a checmark there. And that the volume slider is set high enough.

To find the sound settings:

When FSX starts, in the main screen:

Settings --- Sound

Or, in flight:

Press to get the menu bar, then:

Options -- Settings -- Sound

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived