Absolute newbie here...Hello & a few q's

Tpflyer88

Hi all,

Great to find this forum. I've always been interested in Aviation/flying. Took 3 hrs basic flight training 20+ years ago - but never had the resources to continue.

And I have flown in excess of 3 mill commercial miles - so I know all about riding in planes!

Had Flight Sim 2004 long time ago - but never really used it. So now I have some time & resources. Thought I might give it a try. Been reading thru the forums and whew - never knew it was so complex. Some people have amazing setups! Not ready for that...so here's a couple basic questions that I either missed the answer too, or was confused.

#1 - Software - for FSX-SE. The most basic Q - do you have to be connected online to use FSX-SE? Or do you download, and then it can be used offline? I've seen conflicting answers.

#2 - Hardware - I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway. Reading here that the recommended system is specially built desktop systems. But can I run the base program from a laptop? I saw an ASUS with Intel i7 4720HQ chip & Nvidia GeForce GT 930M graphics and 8GB RAM.

Is that enought to start with the base package? No customization. Just start flying a Cessna or Beech and maybe play around with the jets that come with FSX-SE?

And then add just a basic joystick for external control - I understand using M&Kb is not recommended.

And then if I get into it - and want to expand could go to a more specialized system.

Thanks & look forward to learning more!

Cheers!

Hi and welcome (back) to the world of simming madness ;)

#1 FSX SE can be used offline too. Unless you want real world weather, that data needs to be downloaded frequently.

#2 Vanilla FSX will run on that laptop. But you will hit the performance wall pretty fast when you start dropping in any addons. Maybe you should stay away from the payware offerings in general. There are a lot of people on these forums knowledgable about the freeware gems, just ask around.

When you get a Joystick, look for a model that has a twisting grip (rudder control) and maybe a thrust lever of some kind. So you have the most basic flight controls in one comfortable setup.

When you get a Joystick, look for a model that has a twisting grip (rudder control)...

The movement of the twist grip is so different from using rudder pedals that, though I know there are a lot of folks who like it, I can't come to grips with it (pedals are ingrained in my synapses), and it wouldn't be great for someone who's learning to fly in the real world (it would develop wrong physical responses). Actual pedals would be better for many folks. Still, there are lots of folks who swear by it, or so it seems.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hello

I see you state that you had FS2004 some years ago.

Now I will whisper this ......

Give the old boy a try.

Plenty still do.

It will go like lightning on your laptop.

You've nothing to lose .

And if you don't like it just go for FSX, but be prepared FSX can take a lot of work to get running well.

(Wait for it)

Cheers Socks

Had Flight Sim 2004 long time ago - but never really used it. So now I have some time & resources. Thought I might give it a try. Been reading thru the forums and whew - never knew it was so complex...

Nah, FS2004 and FSX can be just as simple or complex as you want them to be!

I like the simple way, I just jump in the cockpit, slam open the throttle and I'm away, wearing a grin on my face as big as a wave on a slop bucket!

FS2004 is pretty, but FSX-SE is a touch prettier (I own both), and as FSX-SE can be dirt cheap you might as well give it a try. It needs a more powerful PC and might be a bit prima donna-ish from time to time, but you could always ditch it just like you would a beautiful but touchy girlfriend by uninstalling it and falling back on dear old homely FS2004 if you have to.

If you have a shower, comb your hair and brush your teeth, you can go into the FSX forum where the FSX gods stride the earth among us mere mortals, and you can ask them all sorts of questions as there's nothing they don't know, for example I learnt from them where babies come from..:)

If you read this forum to much, like we do, you start thinking that fsx is riddled with issues.

Not so! I never had much problems with it and have been using fsx going on 5 years now.

And if you run into an issue anyway, don't hesitate to ask.

Many fsx questions have been asked before, so also try Google searches and use the search box on the pages here.

Tip, make a backup of the fsx folder (all 17 Gb) after installing. Having all the original files can be very helpful if you ever accidentally delete a file. Without the backup reinstalling would be the only way to fix it, and you don't want to go that road.

(With FS2004 you could pick the files from the CD. Not so with FSX Box edition, and definitely not with Steam edition.)

Happy flights!

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I've said it before, and i'll say it again: I am running FSX-SE, with ZERO problems. On a laptop. Dell 1750, 6 years old. Intel Dual-Core @ 2.3GHz. 4 Gb RAM. Radeon 3650 video on-board, 1GB GFX ram. AND it runs great, for me.

I keep it simple, freeware only, and not a lot of scenery. I spend most of my time doing FCLP's or carrier landings (not very well YET, but I am getting there!). My FSX-SE works great :D Looks good, frame rates at about 25 most of the time, no freezes, stutters, OOM problems, nada.

Also, if do accidentally irrevocably delete a file you shouldn't have done, then Steam keeps a back-up, and you can repair it. Simple, easy, Piece o' cake!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you read this forum to much, like we do, you start thinking that fsx is riddled with issues.

Not so! I never had much problems with it and have been using fsx going on 5 years now.

I've had FSX for about 7 years on 7-year-old-disks and it's run smooth as silk all that time, including after I've installed it on a couple of new PC's along the line, and I don't even have to insert the disks when I play it!

As long as I keep the disks safe and dry they should be good for future installs for years to come, but if ever a pitbull wanders in off the street and chews them up I'll simply buy FSX-SE without batting an eye..:)

Archived