I have been away for a while so I will call myself a newcomer

goldhawk

I do not expect to solve these problems over night but I am putting some feelers out there.

I was dreading going to windows 8.1. But I did it just because I got a good price on a new pc. Dell XPS, 8 gig ram, NVidia 700.

I read that I should not install FSX in the program directory. So I followed those directions. When slewing Las Vegas however I get crash to desk top.

I have this feeling I am going to have to go back to Win7 or XP but I am trying to give 8.1 a chance here.

I also have another question. If you buy FSX Steam, do you get a sdk?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

..I have this feeling I am going to have to go back to Win7 or XP but I am trying to give 8.1 a chance here..

FSX is a 2006 sim so it might be happier on some people's computers under Win7 or XP if they have troubles under W8 or W10.

I haven't got W8 or W10 and am running it fine on W7, and it also ran fine prior to that on XP.

Note however Microsoft stopped support for XP last year, so there'll be no more security updates for it.

The crash. Search box. Uiautomationcore.

Sdk, no.

Use the one from your fsx box disks. I hear you can also download it from p3d site.

Uiautomationcore seems to be the cure (knock on wood), still having some freeze ups on reset flight. As I remember I had to do this with Win7 also..... so.....

I just want to tell some people I told you so. SDK is a good reason to keep your box set. Especially if you want to design with sketchup. I tried to dual boot XP 32 bit on this Dell 64 bit XPS but no dice. I think that would be worth continued pursuit (xp64bit?). I also hope I can keep my box set safe from scratches. ALSO win8.1 and fsx ''v' key for screeen caps is a no go. Fraps has also been a no go for me but I think I found something as good as fraps. Can't think of the name of it now but it is not bandicam

I wonder what would happen if I used windows 7 restore disks from an inspiron I sent back on an XPS?

It took me 3 years (aprox) to warm up to win8.1 I'm really in no hurry to go with ten no matter how 'free' it may be. If anyone has some good stories about ten however I am all ears. I heard it has a slightly smaller foot print on the hard drive so maybe it is more efficient in that sense. I always like the idea of less code doing more.

Less updating would be nice too but that is only because I am kind of blind and dumb to the things that the security fixes etc really address. With a computer I am kind of a one trick pony and that is flight sim. Other then surfing, excel, word and uploading fsx videos to you tube I don't use a pc that much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

• 1 year later...

Archived