Pukin' Dogs

Strangely enough, I LOVE PHANTOMS!!! Phantastic Pics! I love that squadron's name, too, always have :D

Just so you know, all the letters in the squadron designators (the VF in VF 143 for example) have a specific meaning. Each letter identifies a specific thing...V is fixed wing, M is Marine (no letter means Navy), F is for Fighters, A Attack, T training, etc, etc. You can take a look at the squadron's number and identify immediately that, for example, VMFAT-101 is Fixed Wing, Marine, Fighter/Attack, Training squadron # 101. It's standardized throughout the Navy/MC, so that anyone that is clued in, from a private on up, can instantly tell everything about a squadron they might need to know.

FAC's, ATC's, LSO's, even maintenance (No that order can't be right, why would a training squadron need an M1A1 tank??? Actually happened to me once...). Makes sure the right people are assigned to the right place very easily (no, Monitor, I'm Airborne Radar, not ground comm!). The reasons for the system's use are limitless.

Just thought I'd share, in case other might be interested...

Thanks again for some great pictures!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Always loved the Phantom...from the first time I saw one when I was a runny nose little squat. Nothing sexier than Phantoms in formation!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Super shots and great job of formation flying.

Thanks for the good words and looking guys

John: credit for the tight formation goes to AI rather than Bill otherwise known as "Mr. Overshoot, Undershoot" :D:D:D

Pat: always enjoy your r/w perspective - thanks for the info

love those old high visibility paint jobs, great shots of them! ever hear how the pukin dogs were named? cute story.

Phil and Dan - many thanks for the good words. Don't know how the Dogs got their name (stayed too long at the O Club bar maybe??? :D) - would love to hear!

The dogs new ride

dn.jpg

VF-143 and now VFA-143 has a rich history, here's the reason behind the nickname ... The squadron adopted its current insignia in 1953, a winged black lion (or a mythical Griffin) on a blue shield. The distinctive squadron name "Pukin' Dogs" came about when the squadron commander's wife saw the creature’s droopy head and gaping mouth design. She stated, in front of the squadron pilots, that it looked like a "pukin' dog." The pilots loved that, and the name stuck.[2] In the politically correct aftermath of the Tailhook scandal in 1991, the squadron was forced to officially rename itself the "Dogs". This official banishment was widely ignored until Admiral John Mazach, Commander, Naval Air Force U.S. Atlantic Fleet, rescinded the policy in a 1996 speech to the squadron.

Lovely captures Bill! I have a current VFA-143 Ballcap in my Navy collection. Mike ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lovely captures Bill! I have a current VFA-143 Ballcap in my Navy collection. Mike ;)

Mike - many thanks for the good words and the background on the dogs nickname - I remember the Tailhook witch hunt well - glad sanity finally prevailed over PCness!!!!

Archived