FS2004 Wind Sound Configuration

JosephNoble14

Hi all,

I am using FS2004 and have a problem with the wind sound. In the sound.cfg file under the wind sound section I have specified the minimum speed as 300 and the maximum speed as 400 (I assume the mentioned speed is in KTAS). However when running FS the wind sound actually starts at around 225KTAS, I thought the wind sound shouldn't be heard until the aircraft reaches 300KTAS or above as specified in the sound.cfg file.

Also as the aircraft climbs the wind sound seems to drop off (gets quieter and slower playback rate) this usually occurs ar around 37,000ft and above. Is the wind sound supossed to effected by altitude as well?

Am I doing something wrong or is the min/max speed setting for wind sound in the sound.cfg folder measured in something other than Knots?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joseph, this is from the FS2004 Aircraft Container SDK, the figures are from the Schweizer sailplane:

[wind_sound] section

Wind sounds are used to add realism to the sounds of aircraft. Wind sound is also the predominant sound used for sailplanes. Each wind sound can be volume- and pitch-modulated with airspeed.

minimum_speed (minimum_speed=0.1)

The minimum speed (in KTAS) used by the _volume and _rate parameters.

maximum_speed (maximum_speed=160.0)

The speed (in KTAS) above which the sound has constant volume and pitch. Specified in KTAS units.

minimum_volume (minimum_volume=7000)

The lowest possible volume--if the sound drops below the minimum volume specified, it will not be heard. If the aircraft's speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, playback volume is interpolated. (Volume is specified in 1/100dB units, with a value of 10,000 being the maximum possible volume.)

maximum_volume (maximum_volume=10000)

Specifies the highest possible volume--the sound never exceeds the volume specified. If the aircraft's speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, playback volume is interpolated. (Volume is specified in 1/100dB units, with a value of 10,000 being the maximum possible volume.)

minimum_rate (minimum_rate=0.50)

Specifies the minimum rate at which the sound is played. If the aircraft’s speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, the playback rate is interpolated between the minimum_rate and maximum_rate values.

maximum_rate (maximum_rate=1.25)

Specifies the maximum rate at which the sound is played. If the aircraft’s speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, the playback rate is interpolated between the minimum_rate and maximum_rate values.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived