Flight Basics

Good evening,

I have managed to learn how to fly aircraft like the PMDG 737, 747, 777, and Aerosoft Airbus due to the aircraft being basically automated. I was going through a Captain Sim tutorial for the L-1011 and was very lost on terminology like VOR/DME. I managed to figure out the INS which is a primitive FMS but I need to learn how to use VOR/DME, ect. Does anyone know a good resource for learning these things?

backwards progress :) usually the other way around: VOR/DME first and FMS-PMDG second. FSCommander can set the heading for you which is handy flying Captainsim, these planes are flown by 3 people in real life so doing all things alone I find too difficult with these planes, I use the auto-heading feature with no guilt (I do like to set VOR courses before take off for initial run, fly a SID manually then engage the AP).

Thank you all. These resources look awesome. Plenty of reading to do. I noticed in the L-1011 tutorial they had you take off and fly to the VOR first before engaging the autopilot but the auto pilot is basically just going to the waypoints on the L-1011 and you have to manage the throttle the whole flight to stay within the % of N3 and not burn too much fuel. I guess the auto throttle system is only used for landing on that plane.

Archived