Engine starts switches not working in default AC

bmatt569

Hi All,

Lately I haven't been able to start the default AC. Seems that when I click on the starter switches (yes, I get some sort of a hand, but, no + or -) nothing happens. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bill Mattson

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

-Use keyboard assignments. I suggest control-shift-1 control-shift-2 control-shift-2 control-shift-4 for starter 1,2,3 and 4.

-use the mouse and rotate the mouse wheel over the button/switch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A lot of start switches are spring loaded to OFF. You must click and HOLD them in the ON position until the engine starts, then release.

Just a thought as to a possibility, is all.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long getting back on this one. I've tried both of the suggestions here and neither one seems to work. On some of hte AC the starter switch just won't work, period. On others it will engage but the engine fails to start. In all instances the fuel controls, batteries and apporpriate master switches are on. Ideas what can be causing this?

Bill Mattson

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is your fuel mixture defaulting to a low setting?
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Which default aircraft are you saying you have a problem with the start switches? There will not be any = or- indicated. What airport are you at? Keep in mind if you are at a high elevation like KDEN or other mountainous region you need to adjust mixture or add throttle to keep the engines running.

Do you have the same problem if you try CTRL+E?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

probably some switch that is accidentally set to off. Saved in your startup flight, so it now affects every flight. If you want to try and keep troubleshooting the hard way, no problem. If this has been going on for a few days, and you just want to finally do a flight again, try this.

-----------------------------

You could restore the default flight (ultralight over friday harbor).

With fsx shut down, open the fsx.cfg file.

find the line:

situation="name of your saved default flight"

change that to:

situation=

close and save.

start fsx.

your default flight will be back to be "ultralight over friday harbor".

(and all the switches will be in their default positions of course.)

----------------------------------

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, il88pp, I give, where ... is the fsx.cfg file located. FSX was closed and I opened the FSX folder. I didn't see the fsx.cfg file listed. I did a search and it wasn't listed either. Might this be more of a problem than I think?

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The FSX.cfg file is located in folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

It is a hidden folder. (Windows hides some folders with important program configuration stuff, so the user doesn't accidentally mess up a program.)

In this case, we know what we are doing, so it's ok.

But stay out of those hidden folders when you don't know what you are doing.

Anyway, you will need to set windows to "show hidden files and folders"

Also, you will need to set Windows so "Hide extensions for known file types" is NOT selected.

The reason for that second setting: There are two very similar files. One called

"fsx.cfg.txt"

A useless text file.

The other called

"FSX.cfg"

That's the one we want.

"Hide extensions for known file types" -on, would mean "fsx.cfg.txt" would show up as "fsx.cfg". The ".txt" part would be hidden. That would get confusing.

Ok, how to set up windows correctly for finding the fsx.cfg file.

Open a Windows file explorer window.

Click on "Organise" --- Folder and search options --- The "View" -tab.

Make sure there is no check mark in front of: "Hide extensions for known file types".

And put a check mark in front of: "show hidden files and folders"

Click ok to confirm and close the window.

Then Browse to:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

And find your fsx.cfg file.

After you are done you can hide those hidden folders again (for safety), and select hide extensions for file types if you like Windows that way better. That last one is a matter of personal preference.

enjoy,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, sometimes the subtle nuances of FSX baffle me. Well, truth be told, there's a WHOLE lot in this life that baffles me. LOL

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A "known file type" is one that windows knows what program to open it with automatically.

As you use fsx, and will probably be editing more and more "aircraft.cfg", "panel.cfg", "object.bgl", etc etc file types, I advise you to keep "hide ectensions for known file types off.

It will give you a much clearer vieuw of what's what. And not only for your fsx files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are a genius! Followed the directions and that was just the ticket. Back to the default and everything is OK now.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your FSX.cfg file is in this folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG

EDIT: I got ninja'd... several times! :p

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived