Windows 10 Question.

GFD150

I had the same question accept it was about OS10 for FSX, here's what I know. FSX will run however some add-ons wont, the same goes for 2004. So I am sticking with my windows on my FSX machine anyway. I know this is probably of little help to you but hey, at least its something.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

The only thing I'm aware of is the Joystick disconnect issue with W8.1/ W10, but maybe that has been 'cured'...

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi there. I currently have FSX in Windows 8.1. I also have an old desktop where am testing Windows 10. And I have used FSX in there as well. As far as I have seen, it's all good! No errors whatsoever. Should any addon disturb, that's literally because of some error in installation I believe. Same goes for FS2004. And surely P3D. But if you have only one machine that you use, then I would recommend that don't move to Windows 10 yet. Let it get stable, and then move on. :). Hope this helps. As I had a working machine, so I was able to use FSX in Windows 10 for a test. But if you don't have a second machine, don't try this yet! Wait a few months more till it gets stable, and then give it a go. Good day!

The only thing I'm aware of is the Joystick disconnect issue with W8.1/ W10, but maybe that has been 'cured'...

Alan [emoji14]ilot:

That gets almost 90% solved with the paid version of FSUIPC. I am using Windows 8.1 and FSX never crashed since the last 2 years, thanks God :D. The joystick issue is there, I definitely agree, but greatly reduced with FSUIPC. Even without it, it's fine, if you don't minimize and maximize and so on, the joystick won't disturb.

Some things I've read about Windows 10 is to have it to duel boot, so if you did this you could still run your FS on the other Windows.

Also W10 is new so it will/might have a few bugs anyway till they get ironed out, a lot of people wait till that happens before they take the plunge.

My buddy said you get the Windows 10 free for the first year and then it is $99 for the license. You save $20 off the regular $119 price.

NO THANKS, Mr Gates as my time testing your Beta version is worth more than $20.

It's a no brainer: Windows 7 ain't broke ... so don't mess with it.

For me, it's no-brainer to update to Windows10. Testers have been very happy with the previews, & it's free for a year.

Remember, it's an update for Windows 7 & 8, with all further updates free as well, No service packs.

While Microsoft is offering free Windows 10 upgrades to some customers, those who do not qualify or don’t redeem their upgrades in time will have to pay for the new operating system.

According to Forbes and Cnet, Microsoft will sell Windows 10 for $119, and Windows 10 Pro for $199. An upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro will cost $99.

US Dollar prices exclude taxes, such as VAT.

These are the same prices Microsoft is charging for Windows 8.1 today, suggesting that the current pricing for Windows 8.1will apply to Windows 10.

Gotta move with the times.. How much longer will Windows 7 be supported?

"On January 13, Microsoft's mainstream support for Windows 7 Service Pack (SP) 1 ended.

This does not mean Microsoft is going to stop issuing security fixes for Windows 7 SP1.

"Mainstream support" is the period during which Microsoft provides for free security and non-security updates and telephone support for its products. "Extended support" -- the period during which Microsoft continues to provide for free security updates for products -- doesn't end until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 SP1.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My buddy said you get the Windows 10 free for the first year and then it is $99 for the license. You save $20 off the regular $119 price.

NO THANKS, Mr Gates as my time testing your Beta version is worth more than $20.

The suggestion from the experts is to wait for 6 months to a year before switching to 10. There is absolutely no reason to upgrade on July 30 or in August.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I think your buddy is misinformed.

The offer to upgrade for free lasts for a year, not the upgrade itself.

If you update with the free offer you are not going to have to pay for it at the end of the year.

peace

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I think your buddy is misinformed.

The offer to upgrade for free lasts for a year, not the upgrade itself.

If you update with the free offer you are not going to have to pay for it at the end of the year.

peace

the Bean

So, it is an offer for you to get a free update of Windows 10 within the first 12 months of the inital launch. No further charges! & no payment afterwards. It's free!

There will obviously be updates (as all Windows have) during this time. These, & future updates are free, as they always have been.

If you do not take up this offer within the first 12 months after the initial launch, you will have to purchase whatever version you require at the going price!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

You do know that there are very few issues with FS2004 when run with Windows XP ....

... and the computer nerd in me has learned from experience that you don't always have to "upgrade/update" everything to be quite happy and satisfied ..... just say'n.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

End of support

End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available update or service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle .

You are aware that Windows XP support (of all types) ended on 4 August 2014!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Errrrm, It is free for 12 months after the initial release. You do not have to pay for it after the 12 months have expired.

You only pay for it IF you want it AFTER the initial 12 months.

Beta Version? It's an update, not an upgrade, so there will be the usual weekly system updates that have always happened, no matter what operating system you using.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

The suggestion from the experts is to wait for 6 months to a year before switching to 10. There is absolutely no reason to upgrade on July 30 or in August.

Some of us will obviously wait, & some will not.

As it's an update & not an upgrade, I'll rather update my Window 7 as well as my Window 8 laptops next month.

Bearing in mind it is a 3GB update.. I'll rather have the usual weekly smaller updates done when they come out on a weekly basis, as they always have been. In 6 months to a years time, who knows what the size of the essential updates will be?

I updated my W7 machine after not using it for 6 months & there was about 2GB of updates.

For me, personally, based on reviews I've read, & what experts have said about the review copies, It's going to be great.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information.

You are aware that Windows XP support (of all types) ended on 4 August 2014!

..... and you are aware that there is OTHER software which protects your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, malware, adware, _ware? Armageddon for WinXP did NOT occur after 4 August 2014. In fact, Y2K has yet to occur ..... over 15 years later!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just putting it out there. & yes, there are obviously other protective software.

XP was great in it's time, but obviously newer software is optimised for newer operating systems.. DX10, DX11.

If you happy with the old, great, no-one is forcing anyone to chang anything, just be aware of the ramifications of older software on newer hardware.

There are still those that are very happy with FS2000, for instance.

Back to the topic............

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived