ORBX Download questions.

I am about to make the leap to payware once I can find my crowbar to extract my credit card from my wallet and was wondering of peoples experience of downloading such large files. Being that I am in New Zealand our broadband speeds are 3rd world at best so being that it will take some time to download I am worried about "jitter" etc. effecting the download and ending up with files that have gone AWOL.

Yes I did check the stability of my connection and its fine but I am sure that constantly changes depending on traffic etc. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated,

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Hi Darryl,

I've had multiple problems downloading ORBX files. They staunchly deny that the problem is theirs and have mutiple defenders but as this has been the only site with which I've experienced defective downloads after repeated attempts I'm skeptical. Regardless, they have recommendations about overcoming the problems here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82288-corrupt-download-cant-unzip-please-read-here/

Probably a good idea to follow up on their recommendations.

Jim F.

Get a download manager.

Orbx have several recommendations, I use GetRight, I think it is called.

peace,

the Bean

[edit]

just checked and it is Flashget that I use

[/edit]

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Darryl,

I've had multiple problems downloading ORBX files. They staunchly deny that the problem is theirs..

Reminder to everybody:- OrbX is not the only scenery in town, so shop around..;)

From what I hear, OrbX is not so hot anyway, sure it looks pretty but it skimps on accurate detail etc.

For that you need Photoreal scen, which OrbX is not.

Greetings All,

Darryl, I average 90KBs in the middle of nowhere Idaho (ID85). I use A paid copy of Internet Download Manager and rarely have a problem with the Orbx/FSS SITES. However I do stay away from the store during the first three days of a new release or major sale - just common sense. when I DO have a problem, it is generally trying to get past the gateway in San Fransisco to Australia...

That 90KBs means an overnight download for most of the airports and a 24 hour for a region; Prepar3D took 5 days, limiting the download speed during daylight hours to "share" bandwidth with the spouse.

Don't forget, they will burn a DVD for you, a service I've used in the past. It averages 5-7 business days to get to me via post. Hope this helps a bit.

Respectfully,

Brian

Thanks for all the info, I very much appreciate you all for taking the time to respond. Brian I average about .33mbs so kind of thought that if I downloaded it I would expect to get it sometime around xmas :). But thanks for letting me know about them burning a disc for me, I will definitely take that option.

Jim I tried to look in the forum but alas they wouldn't let me in as I am not a user as of yet, which for them it would make sense so people who are looking at buying don't read the problems, and bizarre in the sense that having the issues made available for perspective buyers means that you can be prepared with the fix.

I know ORBX isn't the only scenery in town, it is for stuff for New Zealand, I haven't found any other developer that produces anything for here and the only freeware requires ORBX to work so I am kinda left with little choice.

Anyway thank you all again, happy siming all,

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Problem free downloads are not impossible from Orbx........the waiting comes when you try to unwrap it...wait..wait....wait some more. Support...wait wait and wait some more...lol FSS has email..they take for ever to respond...chatline...never manned.....phonenumber...lol.lol.
. Need to get on their forums to ask a question ...wait..wait...wait..they apparently don't work weekends according to some people??????

Yes I have experienced this from FSS already, still waiting for a reply to my email ( 3 days and counting ), maybe I should of titled my email with "I have a squillion dollars to spend with you";) I am sure I would get a reply the same day at least.

Darryl

I have bought many products from ORBX. Never had a bad download but I do admit the FSS wrapper is a pain. It can take up to 2 hours for it to un-wrap the product so just be patient. Start it and go do something else for awhile. I Use and Love ORBX. I have tried lots of scenery including Photoreal and I think ORBX gives me the best experience. Also their add on airports and regions are beautiful works of art in themselves.

Here are 2 screen shots. In these shots I have FS Global 2010 mesh, ORBX FTX Global, TwentyNine Palms KTNP and ORBX Redding KRDD. It is all about what pleases you. Everyone has their own preference.

Twenty.jpg

Redding.jpg

I am about to make the leap to payware once I can find my crowbar to extract my credit card from my wallet and was wondering of peoples experience of downloading such large files. Being that I am in New Zealand our broadband speeds are 3rd world at best so being that it will take some time to download I am worried about "jitter" etc. effecting the download and ending up with files that have gone AWOL.

Yes I did check the stability of my connection and its fine but I am sure that constantly changes depending on traffic etc. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated,

Darryl

Hi, seeing that you live in NZ, FSS still has some of the Orbx boxes on special sale for AUD 5,95 each.

I've had both results. Most ORBX goes right on, but I do have fast internet. But when I have an issue, I just order the disc. They don't charge you twice if you decide to do the disc after you buy the download version. As of the last I knew a disc was $4.95 plus shipping.

If I lived somewhere with slow internet, I'd definitely take the shipped disc option and forget the download altogether!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the pic's they look great, definitely what I am after. Makes the default scenery look like its on a ZX Spectrum ( oh those were the days, 48k of pure unadulterated power ).

Question: Who has better scenery than Orbx?

David :pilot:

"Remember, All you have to do is ask."

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/25/windows10signaturecopy.jpghttp://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/helicoptero_animado_2.gif

David,

Guess that depends what part of the world you after scenery wise. For New Zealand ORBX is the best I have seen, although its slim pickings for NZ and the freeware scenery on the download requires you to have ORBX or VLC. Made the mistake of downloading some airport updates people had done to NZAA, NZWN, NZCH which were nothing like the airports are, plus at NZAA I would get stalked by a white mini van while trying to taxi to take off, or it would park in my allotted gate so I couldn't park there, a real nightmare.

Darryl

Archived