Back at it and looking for advise

Thomastp

I just purchased a new PC with flying a simulator as one of the requirements. I bought the following machine.

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 4GB Graphics

Windows 8.1

16GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3

1TB SATA 6Gb/s,7200RPM

I'm an instrument rated pilot and I fly a Piper Saratoga Turbo. The main reason for flying a simulator is to practice instrument approaches. What would be the best software to use. From scanning the forum I see several packages available. What I want is realism in the cockpit. I'm not that concerned with scenery. I want to configure a Saratoga with steam gauges, Garmin 530 and 430, Stec 55 A/P, and a Garmin GMX 200 MFD. What would be the best software to achieve my goals? As a side note, when I was doing my instrument training I used Microsoft Flight Simulator on DOS and it was a big help, especially learning how to fly the NDB approaches. The last package I used was Microsoft Flight Simulator 95 and it worked great with steam and analog navigation. I was amazed how well ATC worked. Anyway on to bigger and better.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Most people use FSX now but it is an aging platform,X-Plane is also popular but I understand the learning curve setting it up properly is a bit steep. Then there is Prepar3d,Lockheed-Martin has appropriated Microsoft's ESP and have improved on it quite a bit, however,it has a license purchase to use it. Most of FSX's add-ons will work in P3D so it too has become an alternative to FSX/X-Plane. For what you are trying to achieve FSX with a payware bird from someone like Carenado, Real-Air or A2A with their "accu-sim" are great in the sim,best of luck and welcome back to simming!

• 2 weeks later...
I got my new computer and loaded my copy of FS 2004. Runs quite nice. if I upgreade to FSX what edition should I get? I see there's Gold edition and a Deluxe edition. What's the difference. Can anyone tell me if the GPS in FSX is a Garmin 530? That's important to my instrument work. Also, I need a working autopilot that couples to the GPS. Anyone use that setup. Thanks for all the help!

If upgrading to FSX, The Gold Edition is the best...available from Dovetail Games as FSX-Steam Edition. If you want a boxed version you may have to pay through your nose to get it.

The common GPS versions for FSX are the Garmin500 and 250. You may have to see about availability of the one you want.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just to let everyone know...I purchased the Saratoga from FSD International. Then I found a free Garmin 530 at fs2x.com. I installed the Saratoga and it flies just like my plane! I installed the Garmin by modifying the .cfg file and the Garmin works just like in my plane. The auto pilot works similar to my plane. Now I can practice instrument flying/approaches.

Thanks for the help. BTW I'm still on FS2004 and it seems just fine.

Archived