How do you monitor your computer's VAS usage in real time?

Hi, and hope someone can help:

I watched this guy's YouTube video where he was flying FSX-Steam with insanely high settings, on a 32-bit machine, testing to see if he could fly to 3 very detailed payware scenery airports in Southern California. All without an OOM error and crash of his sim and computer.

He mentioned on several occasions throughout his video that the magic number that he was watching for was VAS= 4.0GB... and that once he hit it, that was it. OOM.

He had some sort of app window that he pulled up on his screen, called "Process Explorer", where he's able to read his VAS used, and see how close he's coming to 4.0GB.

My question is, does this come standard on my computer, or do I have to download it as an addon program?

If it is an addon program, is there some other standard program (already on my computer) that I can glean the same information? And how do I get there?

And if I'm running FSX on a Windows 7 64-bit computer (I understand the 4GB VAS limit doesn't apply to me, but then my question is, what is my limit? I'm presuming it's higher? Like maybe around 6GB or 8GB? Just wondering.

Thanks,

-- John

... "Process Explorer"...do I have to download it as an addon program?

Yes, you can get it here- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx

And if I'm running FSX on a Windows 7 64-bit computer (I understand the 4GB VAS limit doesn't apply to me, but then my question is, what is my limit? I'm presuming it's higher? Like maybe around 6GB or 8GB?

VAS is limited to 4GB for all 32bit programs, such as FSX, and has nothing to do with the physical RAM on your computer.

Having a 64bit OS allows the computer to use more than 4GB of VAS total, which helps out FS tremendously.

FSX is still limited to 4GB VAS, and only if it is updated to SP2, and when it runs out of VAS you get an Out Of Memory crash (OOM).

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Okay thanks. I will get that.

VAS is limited to 4GB for all 32bit programs, such as FSX, and has nothing to do with the physical RAM on your computer.

I did not know that. Or if someone had once told me, it slipped my mind.

Having a 64bit OS allows the computer to use more than 4GB of VAS total, which helps out FS tremendously.

Does it do this automatically, or do I have to set something special to make it do that? I recall 32-bit computer owners doing something to raise their VAS assignment from 2072 to some number in the 3000's-- to change the allocation of memory vs. kernel space... but I didn't really know what it all meant (so it's hard for me to interpret what I thought I had read here). But I don't know if that really applies to me or not.

FSX is still limited to 4GB VAS, and only if it is updated to SP2, and when it runs out of VAS you get an Out Of Memory crash (OOM).

I'm running FSX Steam so I'm hoping that would already have the acceleration pack SP2 included?

Thank you,

-- John

Does it do this automatically, or do I have to set something special to make it do that? I recall 32-bit computer owners doing something to raise their VAS assignment from 2072 to some number in the 3000's-- to change the allocation of memory vs. kernel space... but I didn't really know what it all meant (so it's hard for me to interpret what I thought I had read here). But I don't know if that really applies to me or not.

Windows will control the address space for itself and running applications on its own. The limits for 64 bit editions are determined by Microsoft. Personal and Home editions have lower limits, maxing out at 8GB for Windows 7 Home Basic, than the Server and Enterprise ones, which can top out at 4TB.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

What you are thinking about as far as the 32 bit systems wasn't increasing the VAS limit, but changing the split between the OS and application parts. On 32 bit Windows systems the default setup is to split the 4GB address space evenly between the OS and applications. People were increasing the application side, at the expense of the OS, to give FSX more room to play with.

Running on a 64 bit OS removes the above split between the OS and applications, and allows programs like FSX to use a full 4GB of address itself without any tweaking on the part of the user. As stated above, 32 bit applications are still limited to 4GB of address space at the most though. 64 bit applications, on the other hand, can use far more.

I'm running FSX Steam so I'm hoping that would already have the acceleration pack SP2 included?

Yes, the Steam Edition includes Acceleration.

Running on a 64 bit OS removes the above split between the OS and applications, and allows programs like FSX to use a full 4GB of address itself without any tweaking on the part of the user.

For clarity's sake, this is not an automatic process. For 32bit programs to use more than 2GB of VAS the .exe has to be set to LargeAddressAware.

For FSX, Microsoft did this in SP2, and Acceleration which updates FSX to SP2.

If you run FSX RTM or SP1 it will be limited to 2GB VAS regardless of OS or RAM.

For those FS9 users who read this, you will also be limited to 2GB VAS unless you set the FS9.exe to LargeAddressAware. Realistically, do not worry about this unless you have repeated OOMs that cannot be attributed to known causes such as the landclass memory leak.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

For clarity's sake, this is not an automatic process. For 32bit programs to use more than 2GB of VAS the .exe has to be set to LargeAddressAware.

For FSX, Microsoft did this in SP2, and Acceleration which updates FSX to SP2.

If you run FSX RTM or SP1 it will be limited to 2GB VAS regardless of OS or RAM.

For those FS9 users who read this, you will also be limited to 2GB VAS unless you set the FS9.exe to LargeAddressAware. Realistically, do not worry about this unless you have repeated OOMs that cannot be attributed to known causes such as the landclass memory leak.

I found something called the "4-gig patch" on AVSIM per a google search on "large address aware" at this link:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/344119-large-address-aware-4-gig-patch-better-instructions/

You recommend this thing, or leave well enough alone? Someone reported faster speeds and more stability in FS9. I'm thinking if it works there, it could work at FSX? Or bad assumption to make?

I found something called the "4-gig patch" on AVSIM per a google search on "large address aware" at this link:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/344119-large-address-aware-4-gig-patch-better-instructions/

You recommend this thing, or leave well enough alone? Someone reported faster speeds and more stability in FS9. I'm thinking if it works there, it could work at FSX? Or bad assumption to make?

No, that is not needed for FSX SP2/Accerelation, which is what we talking about above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that is not needed for FSX SP2/Acceleration, which is what we talking about above.

Okay, I forgot about that. Glad we got that cleared up. Though I am still an FS9 user so even with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS, might you recommend this program for my FS9 use? Or again, leave well enough alone?

Thanks again for your help, and I hope I'm not pushing your patience with me on thin ice. Just trying to keep all the techno mumbo-jumbo straight in my mind.

I am still an FS9 user so even with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS, might you recommend this program for my FS9 use? Or again, leave well enough alone?

Are you having problems with FS9?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Are you having problems with FS9?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

peace,

the Bean

10-4 I got ya, just always looking for the magic holy grail of tweaks! (Yes... I'm one of *those* people!). I leave it alone.

Archived