Communication with ATC

Hi everyone, after a lot asking from a pilot I got to know what happens if you interrupt someone's communication if he's already talking. THE QUESTION WAS "The frequency was on the speakers (as the pilots weren’t wearing the headset) so they can know if ATC calls them . Already a pilot was talking and my pilot keyed in upon my request and I myself heard the “silence” (but my pilot didn’t say anything he just keyed in) so did the communication of that other pilot got blocked and he had to repeat it or what??." He told me that the communication got blocked and he had to repeat it and that the ATC will tell him that "your transmission was blocked" and would ask him/her to repeat the last instruction sent by me. Now there are three questions I would like to ask.

Q.1: What would have happened if my pilot had keyed in and would have said something (remember the bunch of noises occurs if two pilots transmit simultaneously the other pilot was already talking and my pilot interrupted) so will there be another bunch of noise?

Q.2: If the other pilot was delivering a long speech like acknowledging the approach clearance, and in that instant my pilot keys in but let goes off the push-to-talk-button immediately then will the rest of the part of his speech get delivered(after he leaves the ptt button) or pushing the ptt button blocks the whole part?

Q.3:Last finally, :D.... So what would have happened if my pilot keys in (interrupting the other pilots' communication) and the other pilots completes his transmission quickly and doesn't know that his transmission got blocked and he let goes off the transmitter and my pilot says something so will that request of my pilot or if my pilot is confirming something get transmitted to ATC??? (my pilot doesn't let go off the transmitter he interrupts, completes the sentence and then leaves the transimtter.

SO THAT'S ALL!! Any help would be appreciated :pilot:

Already a pilot was talking and my pilot keyed in upon my request and I myself heard the “silence” (but my pilot didn’t say anything he just keyed in) so did the communication of that other pilot got blocked and he had to repeat it or what??."

If you "heard" the silence, then you also heard what happened over the speakers afterwards. If enough of it was blocked, ATC will ask for a repeat. But if you hear a transmission in progress, why is "your pilot" transmitting in the first place? Blocked signals usually occur either because the volume is way down or because someone just switched to that frequency and failed to listen before transmitting.

But the big question in my mind is "my pilot keyed in upon my request" -- huh? Your request for what? "My pilot" should just wait until the freq is clear before transmitting, and normally they will.

Perhaps you want to clarify: is this something that actually happened, or is it theoretical based on your experience with ATC in FS, perhaps? ATC in FS is NOT like real world ATC, if that is your basis for the question.

------------

However the key to your questions is understanding how radio works. Aircraft radios are AM (as opposed to FM, which works differently in this case), so two aircraft (two transmitters, actually) transmitting simultaneously will heterodyne, thus causing squeals, etc., during the time that BOTH are transmitting. The instant one releases, the other is heard clearly (if he would be heard clearly without interference).

The above is assuming that transmission strength (at the received end) is sufficient to hear a good, clean signal. If one is MUCH weaker, then the squeals may not completely destroy the stronger signal, so ATC might understand it.

-------------

So to 1) the squeals are there only when BOTH are transmitting, so the instant your pilot transmits there are squeals, and the instant he releases the key (or the other pilot does), it's clear transmission.

2) Once again, the squeal is only while both are transmitting.

3) Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way, so ATC will generally let the pilot know if his transmission is blocked (or part of it). Thus anything ATC can identify as a partial transmission will have him asking for a repeat and, if he's not sure who transmitted he'll ask.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

But the big question in my mind is "my pilot keyed in upon my request" -- huh? Your request for what? "My pilot" should just wait until the freq is clear before transmitting, and normally they will.

Perhaps you want to clarify: is this something that actually happened, or is it theoretical based on your experience with ATC in FS, perhaps? ATC in FS is NOT like real world ATC, if that is your basis for the question.

1.))) I ASKED the pilot that what will happen if any pilot interrupts someone's transmission and luckily other pilot was transmitting and he immediately keyed in (to show me of course) and then...SILENCE. It all actually happened with me in the cockpit of ATR72 during cruising.

However the key to your questions is understanding how radio works. Aircraft radios are AM (as opposed to FM, which works differently in this case), so two aircraft (two transmitters, actually) transmitting simultaneously will heterodyne, thus causing squeals, etc., during the time that BOTH are transmitting. The instant one releases, the other is heard clearly (if he would be heard clearly without interference).

-------------

So to 1) the squeals are there only when BOTH are transmitting, so the instant your pilot transmits there are squeals, and the instant he releases the key (or the other pilot does), it's clear transmission.

2) Once again, the squeal is only while both are transmitting.

3) Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way, so ATC will generally let the pilot know if his transmission is blocked (or part of it). Thus anything ATC can identify as a partial transmission will have him asking for a repeat and, if he's not sure who transmitted he'll ask.

2.))) I didn't heard the "squeal" but you are saying "..so two aircraft (two transmitters, actually) transmitting simultaneously will heterodyne, thus causing squeals.." I think that when you press the ptt button when someone else is ALREADY talking but don't say anything causes "SILENCE."

3.)))Are you referring to squeal as "bunch of noises" because another commercial pilot (he was the one who was not in the cockpit and told me that the other pilot had to repeat his last transmission and the role of the pilot IN THE COCKPIT was to just let me here the SILENCE by pressing the ptt button) told me that there are bunch of noises when you transmit at the same time he didn't say anything about "SQUEAL.":confused:.

4.)))In your answer to Q.3 you say "Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way, so ATC will generally let the pilot know if his transmission is blocked (or part of it).

LEAVING THE FREQUENCY??? Pilot will LEAVE the frequency and will not say anything else because he doesn't know that his transmission got blocked (or he gets to know because SQUEALS are heard in the plane too?? And ATC will FURTHER confirm him that his transmission got blocked and would ask him to repeat. Please shed light on that what you meant by "Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way")

I apologise if I am driving you crazy but this problem keeps on sprouting, and if you will clear it It will be greatly beneficial.

2.))) I didn't heard the "squeal" but you are saying "..so two aircraft (two transmitters, actually) transmitting simultaneously will heterodyne, thus causing squeals.." I think that when you press the ptt button when someone else is ALREADY talking but don't say anything causes "SILENCE."

Certainly you didn't hear the squeal, because when the transmitter is keyed the receiver is shut off, thus causing silence for YOU, not for everyone else. YOU will only hear the squeal when it's two other transmitters causing it, but when YOU transmit on top of someone else, everyone on the frequency except those transmitting will hear the squeal. That "bunch of noises" is the squeal. Real life is not like the movies where they show someone interrupting a radio transmission and the person who was already transmitting responds -- that is only in the movies. In real life, the receiver is shut off and you have to wait until he quits transmitting before you can talk to him.

4.)))In your answer to Q.3 you say "Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way, so ATC will generally let the pilot know if his transmission is blocked (or part of it).

LEAVING THE FREQUENCY??? Pilot will LEAVE the frequency and will not say anything else because he doesn't know that his transmission got blocked (or he gets to know because SQUEALS are heard in the plane too?? And ATC will FURTHER confirm him that his transmission got blocked and would ask him to repeat. Please shed light on that what you meant by "Pilots don't normally leave the frequency that way")

The point I was trying to make is that if the transmission is blocked, ATC will generally tell him BUT, if the pilot expects a reply from ATC and doesn't get one he'll generally repeat his transmission. In any case, when you're talking to ATC you normally will tell them that you need to leave the frequency, then they'll approve it (unless there's a reason not to). The main exception to that would be when you have exited their control area and are not IFR and are not needing to talk to ATC any more.

If this doesn't answer your questions, you'll have to be more explicit about what you don't understand.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If this doesn't answer your questions, you'll have to be more explicit about what you don't understand.

Thanks for clearing the runway!!!!!! Pilot man solely you solved this complication and I seriously adore you :o.

Archived