A weird question

Hey,

Is there a way to do emergency gear up landings in fsx with out bouncing off the ground and going 500 ft in the air?

I like going through emergency procedures, but I can't do them with crashing setting turned on or off.

Thanks,

HD

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

Hey,

Is there a way to do emergency gear up landings in fsx with out bouncing off the ground and going 500 ft in the air?

I like going through emergency procedures, but I can't do them with crashing setting turned on or off.

Thanks,

HD

Its kind of hard because you have to edit contact points in the aircraft cfg file

so it doesnt crash.

I'll check tonight about this software i downloaded to edit contact points.

this will give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXMCzawtsI

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope this meets your expectations. Here is a video showing my edits to the contact point. It's NOT hard because you ADD cnt pts, and not 'edit' any existing cnt pts. Your plane will still land as usual. But when you belly land the cnt pts you added come into play independenly and the gear cnt pts are not distrubed in any way. I have to dig the file up as it's been a while. But if I know which airplane (not payware) I can do it in about 15 minutes.

Chuck B

Napamule

https://youtu.be/kKrXKnCcEdg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've done gear up landings in FSX, and never had to edit anything..

I've done it in the Baron fer sure.. I remember the sparks and mayhem..

Buoy, did I feel like a dummy.. :( I think I've done it in the Mooney too..

I remember once in the default 737 going into Dallas Love, only one gear came

down. Which was a first for me for FSX, and I've never had it happen since.

I belly landed with the usual sparks, noise and mayhem..

Have never edited any contact points to be able to do that in FSX.

I think a large part is just landing smooth enough to avoid disaster.

I remember in the Baron, I kept slowly dropping on down and thinking, hummm,

this sure seems to be settling in lower than usual.. After the sparks started flying,

I realized why.. :p

Obviously you have crash detection OFF. Right? Right! You can't do belly landings with crash detection on as you will be zoomed to 500 ft. Your sim won't crash, but you won't 'enjoy' the sparks, etc.

Add 'float' type cnt pt (type '4') for belly landing cnt pts. Set one under nose and 2 under the wing (up against bottom of engine). Then do trial-n-error check. Putting 'effect' in (Effects) section of aircraft cfg, you can add 'dust cloud' or 'dark smoke' or even 'explosion' (fire ball+smoke) where 'concrete = fx_sparks' and/or 'dirt = fx_tchdrt' would go. Leave the 'touchdown' effect as is. Have fun!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Obviously you have crash detection OFF. Right? Right! You can't do belly landings with crash detection on as you will be zoomed to 500 ft. Your sim won't crash, but you won't 'enjoy' the sparks, etc.

Add 'float' type cnt pt (type '4') for belly landing cnt pts. Set one under nose and 2 under the wing (up against bottom of engine). Then do trial-n-error check. Putting 'effect' in (Effects) section of aircraft cfg, you can add 'dust cloud' or 'dark smoke' or even 'explosion' (fire ball+smoke) where 'concrete = fx_sparks' and/or 'dirt = fx_tchdrt' would go. Leave the 'touchdown' effect as is. Have fun!

Chuck B

Napamule

Not sure if this is to me or not.. I had crash detection on. And everything was bone

stock with no editing done, both with the Baron, and the 737 when I landing with only

one main gear down.

I never did figure out why that happened.. Only time I had ever seen that.

But the Baron I slithered on down with no gear at all, and slid down the runway

on the belly making noise and sparks.

The only thing I can't remember is if it was on the original FSX, or with Gold with

the service packs.

There may have been a difference in the way the two versions did belly landings.

Not sure. But I've done belly landings with crash detection on. I'm sure of that.

And they made noise and sparks.

I never did figure out why that happened..

That happened to me long ago it might have even been with FS2004 most likely. Anyway, I overshoot the runway on takeoff and one of the gears wouldn't retract afterward. The other one functioned normally though. Do not remember now what I did unfortunately. FS has those quirky things under the hood. Just saying...

Cheers,

I went and tried the Baron (I never fly any of the 'default' ac-have too many others) and sure enough it don't crash with gear up. Sparks fly, and dust flys, but it keeps on scooting, at 61 kts, even with engines shut down. About a mile past the runway I let the gear down, so I could brake, and finally stop. So the beauty of adding the 'floats' (type 4) cnt pts for belly landings is that at least it will stop after a reasonable distance.

Chuck B

Napamule

I went and tried the Baron (I never fly any of the 'default' ac-have too many others) and sure enough it don't crash with gear up. Sparks fly, and dust flys, but it keeps on scooting, at 61 kts, even with engines shut down. About a mile past the runway I let the gear down, so I could brake, and finally stop. So the beauty of adding the 'floats' (type 4) cnt pts for belly landings is that at least it will stop after a reasonable distance.

Chuck B

Napamule

When I did it, it stopped in about the normal distance I would expect due to the

friction of the plane against the pavement. It didn't keep on going until it ran off

the runway. It slowly ground itself to a halt in a normal manner.

When I did it, I didn't actually forget to put the gear down. I remembered. But I

must have double tapped the gear "G", and doing so I quickly lowered and then

raised the gear. Didn't notice it until the mayhem. So a good lesson to always verify

three green lights.. :rolleyes:

That happened to me long ago it might have even been with FS2004 most likely. Anyway, I overshoot the runway on takeoff and one of the gears wouldn't retract afterward. The other one functioned normally though. Do not remember now what I did unfortunately. FS has those quirky things under the hood. Just saying...

Cheers,

Both of mine retracted during the flight, but only one let down when I went to land.

It was using the FSX default 737-800. I was playing Southwest buoy from HOU to DAL.

Went to land on 13R, and actually didn't even notice that all the gear weren't down

until I actually landed, and one of the wings let down to the pavement and was

grounding in, along with the engine dragging, etc. When I came to a stop it was

lurched over to one side, with parts of the wing, etc sunk a bit into the runway.

It was FSX for sure, but a few years back.. I've been using the PMDG 737 since it

came out, and that was in 2011. So it was before then.

In that case, I can't remember if all my gear lights were showing three green or not..

It was the captains side gear that didn't drop.

Obviously you have crash detection OFF. Right? Right!

Gotta agree, crash detection plays a huge role. If you turn it off while (practicing belly landings/trying to stay alive while crashing into the tarmac with gear up at shallow angles) you will fight the simulator all the way.

Can't remember ever having had trouble with belly landings with crash detection on. Won't say I can remember ever trying it in a Baron either though. :)

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Gene,

I did not do anything to the cnt pts. Used as is. Don't know why I kept going (bouncing) at 60 kts for a mile (and still going) until I lowered the gear and set parking brake. Can't explain how it stoped for MBK and not for me (?). I will make belly landing cnt pts for the Baron Sunday. Today is payday. TGIF/Miller Time, etc. Tomorrow I do front disc brakes, rotors, and bearings on my 92 Ford Aerostar. Ok? Ok!

Chuck B

Napamule

Gene,

Good news. I worked on the Baron cnt pts. The way the default Baron was set up (with center at the nose) you couldn't just adjust the cnt pts. The out of balance ac just sank into the surface and ruined everything. So, I had to set the ref datum and the cofg to '0,0,0' and then moved the sta load out, fuel tanks location, engines (and the light, too). Phew. Took me 2 hours to 'fix' and make a video. It still 'flys' the same. Only now it can crash. But you need the whole aircraft.cfg (standby). Watch the results in 1 minute video. Link:

. (Notice how it ends up leaning on left wing, which is an added touch-how you like me now (hehe)).

Chuck B

Napamule

Gene,

Check you email. Enjoy. Sorry folks. Not going to upload a cfg. But if you PM me your email I will gladly email it to you-no problems with that. Just use 'at' instead of the symbol, and 'dot' instead of the dot (so your email addy is not 'grabed' by scammers). Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Gene,

Good news. I worked on the Baron cnt pts. The way the default Baron was set up (with center at the nose) you couldn't just adjust the cnt pts. The out of balance ac just sank into the surface and ruined everything. So, I had to set the ref datum and the cofg to '0,0,0' and then moved the sta load out, fuel tanks location, engines (and the light, too). Phew. Took me 2 hours to 'fix' and make a video. It still 'flys' the same. Only now it can crash. But you need the whole aircraft.cfg (standby). Watch the results in 1 minute video. Link:

. (Notice how it ends up leaning on left wing, which is an added touch-how you like me now (hehe)).

Chuck B

Napamule

LOL did you add the fire and Flames? Two planes that slide well are the freeware Ryan Navion over at SOH and the Carenado B36 Bonanza.( P3D V2.0) The Bonanza will land on water and stay a float long enough for you to open the exits and escape. When it sinks it even gives you "water" gushing in sound. Carenado Baron is another.

Archived