Loss of light (beacon, strobe, etc) effects solved

gene172

Recently I discovered that my beacon & strobe lights did not work on any aircraft. After searching the forums & coming up empty, I was poking around the FSX directory looking for where these might reside, thinking I had corrupt file(s). I found files with the "strobe" & "beacon" in the title in the \effects directory. I went to an older backup, & made a big discovery. In the FSX directory in my computer the effects directory was shown as "\FSX\categories\effects" whereas on my backup the effects was listed as "\FSX\effects". AHA! I did a "drag & drop" of effects to be under FSX, and my light effects returned. I have no idea when or how the effects directory got moved, I had recently done a full name defrag. Or possibly I accidentally moved it. With many years experience with Windows I have found the drag & drop feature, while very handy, can be very dangerous where you can get unintended consequences.

Moral of the story: keep multiple backups, look for directory problems before resorting to a full (& painful) complete restore. I currently use Novastor as my backup program, because it has the ability to pick & choose individual folders without doing a full restore. I hope my experience will help somebody else.

Gene

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

There is, or there should be, an ...\FSX\Categories folder.

It contains a handful of image files named banner_*.bmp and 2 .xml files.

FSCategories.xml and FSXXCategories.xml

Note that mine is an FSX/Acceleration install and your may be different if you do not have Acceleration installed.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

There is, or there should be, an ...\FSX\Categories folder.

It contains a handful of image files named banner_*.bmp and 2 .xml files.

FSCategories.xml and FSXXCategories.xml

Note that mine is an FSX/Acceleration install and your may be different if you do not have Acceleration installed.

peace,

the Bean

+1 Mine too! Probably the same for all.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I do have a categories folder with several image files. And yes I have acceleration. But the effects folder should not have been under categories, but under FSX. Somehow it got moved from under FSX to being under categories. Moving the effects folder back under FSX fixed the problem. Anyway all is well once again.

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

While you are 'looking', do you have a 'texture' folder under 'Effects' folder? Just wondering if that got left out, or somehow not included.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes, there is a texture folder under the effects folder. It had moved with the effects folder, and moved back with the effects folder as expected.

Gene

Archived