Harrier in FSX

napamule2

Here is the AP Harrier, by Adam Preece, doing it's thing. Also a clip of the UKMIL Harrier landing on carrier.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

What a great clip!! It got me wondering. Is anyone aware of a LPH sim? We flew on and off of LPHs for years, in choppers of course. (Landing Party Helicopter is a class of straight deck carrier used for helicopters. In fact the first ones were straight deck ships built for the fixed wing planes in WWII and later. I was on and off the WWII veteran, the Princeton several times. There were even modern LPHs with A/C built later. I was on and off the Tripoli a lot too.)

With so many nice chopper sims out there. It would make sense to me for there to be at least one LPH sim for them & the Harrier to land on.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I never saw a LPH in MS Flt Sims. I like to fly helicopter so it would be nice to have one. Here is a link to 'NavSource' which seems to have pics and history on every NAVY ship ever made. Perhaps you can go see if they have photos and stories on the Princeton in their library. Link: http://www.navsource.org/archives/home.html (copy/paste to browser).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Guess what? I found a LPH for FSX: 'korean_war_lph_operations.zip' .

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Chuck,

Nice video. I especially liked the shot of the oil rig. I'm curious is that oil rig an addon or did it come with your version of FSX? I ask because I full screened your video so I could read your lat/long coordinates while you were taking off from the oil rig platform, but at

lat: +34° 20.41'

long: –119° 39.48'

I don't see an oil rig. I checked both in my FS9 & FSX-SE. And I know that close to the Santa Barbara coastline an oil rig would never be deemed acceptable (socially or otherwise)! So I'm curious where you got your addon for it?

Also curious if somewhere in either FS9 or FSX there is a list of all the default oil rigs and carriers that came with each respective sim and what their lats & longs are?

Again, great video.

-- John

John,

I got my oil rigs from 'socal20x.zip' (40.6 Mb, 12/6/2006). By Brian C. Selb. They are clean (no virus, etc). I extracted to a TEMP folder. Then I took ONLY the oilrigs.bgl, which is 2 kb, and put that (no textures needed) in a scenery folder I created. Then I added the 'object library' (Rnwy12) folder (scenery and texture)-done. Works good. So, the scenery is stil FSX default. Why complicate your life. Other oil rigs (from Al Wheeler, etc, need Genesis and mess with the default FSX scenery...). KISS (keep it simple son). With this you just fly south/south west from Santa Barbara airport and you can't miss them.

I read the post by Zippy giving you the co-ordinates of the default oil rigs. They are MILES away from the Louisiana / Missisippi coast and are hard to find. I like the So Cal oil rigs much better. Happy (oil rig) landings. Need help? Let me know (PM).

Chuck B

Napamule

Chuck,

Will these work in FS9 also, or just FSX?

Thanks,

-- John

EDIT: Never mind the above question. Just read the read-me in the download page. It is FSX only. So cool... I'll get to it on my FSX in due time-- when I get around to running that with a bit more stability.

You might not need to wait. I went and disabled the 'objects library' and only used the 2kb bgl and the oil rigs are there. It's only 2 kb (see pic of my scenery folder). There is no 'hit' to graphics or any other problem, by using in FSX. I created the 'So Ca Oil Rigs' folder and added the 'Scenery' folder under that then copied the bgl file over and that was all I did and it works. Too easy.

Chuck B

Napamule

SoCal Oil Rig bgl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived