FSX commands on different planes.

Aviajoe1

Having shifted from Cessna 172 there Beech 58, I now fly on 737 but still with the same environment.

I have a question abt switching on commands on FSX from an external peripheral (switch panel from Saitek in this case) when you change aircraft.

When you activate a switch on the panel, it sends a code to FSX, that translates it into an action in the plane you are flying.

Some actions are "standard" for all planes : battery, fuel pumps, taxi lights etc, because they exist in all planes.

Some others are not : for instance, the same keyboard command can open the cargo door on a 737 and unfold the landing stick on a F16… Another one can activate the steering on a hydroplane and of course nothing on others…

If we look on the switch panel, ALT switch activates alternator(s) for a propeller plane and generator(s) on a jet (I can see the switch moving on the overhead on the screen).

START knob has no visible effect, COWL CLOSE neither.

If I activate NAV switch with the B737, no switch moves on the screen dashboard or Overhead. It could mean that the switch has no action, but the AMP current changes, indicating that something electrical has been switched on, like when I switch on other lights !! my question was WHAT has been switched on ?

Is there a way to know the equivalent command on 737 corresponding to NAV command on a 172 ?

Thanks to anybody having explored this domain…

You will find a quite a lof of differences in what features the designer decided to implement on a plane model. Fortunately, the AP is pretty standard on most planes especially the MS defaults. NAV will always be NAV. If they don't appear to function, it may be you are not operating the AP correctly as the NAV button also has dependencies.

If you have any doubts, each of the default planes have manuals and *most* quality add-ons have manuals including unique keyboard charts. When I distribute a model, my kneeboard checklist includes the keys used. Some designers do this, some don't. It's about how much work someone is willing to put into it.

Some virtual panels are not as detailed as 2D panels. This varies a lot. Experience will answer most questions for you in this regard.

Again, there is no rule which forces a designer yo put more or less effort into realism or functionality. It's very rare however for an autopilot to be dysfunctional unless it is also in the real plane.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

(1) '..the same keyboard command..'

That would be 'Shift+x' //x=1,2,3,..

This is set in the aircraft.cfg's (exits) section

It can be set up by the author of cfg file so it can be different in each cfg/airplane

The maker of the MODEL can also use Cnt Ponit type 5 (water rudder) to do

other things (like re fuel boom, etc). RTFM /ReadMe to find out.

(2).'..unfold the landing stick' (tail hook?)

The tailhook would (normally) will be 'Shift+Q'

This is set in aircraft.cfg's (tailhook) section

It can be set up by the author of cfg file so it can be different in each cfg/ac

The maker of the MODEL can choose to use Cnt Pt type 5 (water rudder) to

do other things such as this: RTFM / ReaMe to find out.

(3).'...can activate the steering on a hydroplane'

This would be 'Ctrl+W' (water rudder) which is a type 5 cnt pt.

This is set in the aircraft.cfg's (contact.points) section (or left out by mistake)

It can be set up by the author of cfg with line 'cnt pt.x=5, ...'.

This would also include a 'steer angle' value (usually 30.000) on that same line

The water rudder does not work smoothly for steering in water in FSX

The alternative is to add 'steer angle' to the backmost FLOAT(s) (type 4) cnt

pts (usually 30.000) in the aircraft cfg (cnt pts) section. You may have to edit, or

add, these lines (then do save of cfg) and then reload ac to see results.

You would NOT find 'floats' or water rudder on an F-18 (dah).

(4).'..START knob has no visible effect'

This would be the 'Ctrl+E' command for 'auto start'-for props. 'J' + 'Ctrl+E' for

'auto start'-for jets.

This is 'default' command, but may need to be set up in the aircraft.cfg (engine)

and (electrical) section, but....

Not all PANELS will have a 'Start' switch/gauge installed (or working) so it

all depends / varies with the authors of the ac panel.

(5).'..activates alternator(s) for a propeller plane and generator(s) on a jet'

This would be the 'M' (magnetos) command and 'Shift+M' (master battery or

alternator) command. A Pup and a 747 will not be set up the same (dah).

This is a 'default' command, and can/may be activated by a switch on the panel,

or not available on the panel. So it varies by author of panel.

(6).'...START knob has no visible effect, COWL CLOSE neither'

This 'switch' will work only if the author of panel set it up when he made the

panel. Older panels and Newer panels differ in all aspects so look at year made.

(7).'...equivalent command on 737 corresponding to NAV command on a 172

This would be the 'Nav (select)' command (keypress 'N'). This is a 'default'

command. But it is NOT the 'GPS/NAV' switch.

The 'GPS/NAV' SW on a panel must be installed by the author. Not all panels

have (or need?) this switch. You may be able to add it. I myself never use it.

All switches MAY activate some electronic device (or just be a 'dummy' switch

that does nothing-you find lots of those on some panels).

You will have current drain (on amp gauge) when you throw a switch if it's a

'electrical' circuit for a device (ie: lights).

Usually a light is used to indicate what device is 'on' or 'off' and is best way

to 'know' what the switch is doing to 'what'. Not all panels have indicator lights.

So as you can see, the aircraft.cfg (and air file), the panel, the model, and the

year created has a bearing of what capabilites you have at your disposal. Not

all of the FSX ac are made alike. So read the manual, pdf or txt files OR ELSE.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The best example of what pvarn is saying about autopilot is the auto speed control function. If planes have an airspeed function, it works. Others, such as the Beech twins, don't have air speed as part of their autopilot, so it doesn't work on them.

And one of the main reasons I fly 2D, the panels are generally more complete. And to my mind, more visible all the time. With virtual the panel is constantly moving around based on stick inputs. I like it to stay in one place and let the world move around it.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived