AI moves along ground instead of glideslope. Looking for the cause.

il88pp

I noticed an issue in fsx the other day. With the AI.

I use WOAI only, and no default traffic any more.

When I Install a WOAI package, I move the .bgl out of the fsx\scen\wo\scen folder, and convert it using AIFP2. After converting I move it back.

I know there i s AIFP3 now, and have it installed too, but I started out with AIFP2, and still prefer that for now.

In the beginning, when converting, I didn't really know what I was doing.

With a few packages there were warnings when converting. something like:

"Airports in flightplan not included in fsx database, probably for fs9, AIFP will correct them where possible"

Somtimes it also said there were "errors..."

It seemed to work fine, so I just clicked convert, installed, and then saw if I could spot the airline in FSX.

I had a large succesrate spotting them, and assumed all was well.

I just kept adding traffic. Currently 59 woai packages installed.

Now for the problem.

Yesterday I was sitting at the bottom of rumway27 EHAM (Amsterdam, Netherlands), ready for a short hop to EDDF (Germany, Frankfurt). I was looking into the approach path, looking out for traffic, when suddenly I saw a light in the distance. Not at altitude, but at ground level.

I kept looking, the light grew stronger, and suddenly an aircraft broke through the trees, skidded onto the runway, came to a perfect stop, contacted ground and taxied away.

But all other aircraft (also others of the same airline, KLM, and I think that was even of the same aircraft type!) flew perfectly down the glideslope.

I'm left wondering:

1--Is this an aircraft where the flightplan was made for a fs9 airport. And not converted corredctly. (I'm thinking maybe in fs9 the airport had a different elevation, or a different length runway.)

2--Is this a fault of the airport. (I'm using an addon for EHAM, EHAM-v1A-Stefan Liebe, eham_v1a.zip from our lib.)

3--Is this a flightplan (just one flight in the trafficplan) where the creator accidentally set the cruising altitude to 0ft

4--Is this a fault of the aircraft model. (Wrongly defined as non-flying, but drivable vehicle)

I hope someone has seen this before, It would save me some testing and searching.

Sitting at the bottom of rw27 now, waiting for another one, but it gets boring quick...

It would be nice to know what to look for.

thank you,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have seen what you've described only 1 time. I was sitting at the stop position for runway 19Right at KSFO waiting for an AI A380 to land. It came down about a mile from the runway edge, came to a stop and tried to exit the runway where I was waiting to enter.

Keep in mind that anything before the runway is water, so the plane landed on the water. I also use WOAI with none of the flight plans changed.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Actually, nevermind, I think I just found the answer.

It is a fsx quirk that only happens at the beginning of the flight (first twenty minutes) according to this post by stringbean:

Originally Posted by doggyd View Post

"Oh, I forgot to mention another problem. I have AI that lands approximately one or two miles before the beginning of the runway. I see them coming far away on the ground, going through all kinds of buildings. How do you stop this?"

Ignore it until the sim settles down.

This is another common behavior within the first 15-20 minutes after beginning your flight.

AI load too close to the airport, at cruise altitude. They dive for the deck, cannot pull up and crash into the ground where they continue on to the airport on their wheels.

peace,

the Bean

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?267065-FSX-AI-Traffic-Too-High-on-Landing

Thanks Stringbean. And thanks anyone that took the time to read my post.

il88pp.

Thar she blows:

I just saw this aircraft dive down, hit the ground 2 miles before the runway, and skid onto the runway. I'll keep checking to see if it happens at all airports, and with more airlines.

thar she blows.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just found a post over on another forum. There it says the problem of AI spawning close by, and then diving from cruise altitude to the runway, can happen at any time.

It is just most visible at the start of the flight, when many aircraft spawn at once.

The post also said it is not really something that can be fixed in the aircraft themselves. To make them work as AI they have a very high cruise speed, this is sort of a compromise.

It doesn't happen as much with GA AI aircraft, as their speed and cruise altitude is lower.

To me that makes sense, as I have often seen aircraft spawn close by, also later in flights.

And I think that when I saw the one aircraft come through the trees yesterday I had been flying/taxiing for more then 20 mins as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah i have had this problem before always wondered if there was some sort of fix...

Makes for a humorous arrival to the airport...:D:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Avalon Air Show 2015

Todays Technology.....

There is a tool called AIController, developped by a member over at Avsim. It forces the AI onto the SID/STAR paths and keeps control of all kinds of odd AI behaviour. It has to be set up for every airport individually, but there are tools helping with that too.

If you are into plane spotting it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. Setting it up for all airports seems a lot of work to fix this small niggle though. Also, I don't think i have stars. I don't use navigraph or planes with FMC.

I saw somewhere aismooth may fix it too. That would be easyer to set up. I'll try that first. And I will also reduce the ai sliders a bit to see if that helps.

Yesterday I staked out rw18 at eddf, with 95% traffic. Lots of skidders. And for a long time. I have a feeling increasing traffic (and single rw) increased the issue.

I did notice the same aircraft models landing correctly one time and sliding the next. So it is not the model's fault.

And the same for airlines, landing correctly once and sliding the next time. As a traffic.bgl has the airport defined once, for all flights, that is not at fault either.

I'm satisfied it's an fsx flaw and will look towards solutions such as aismooth to fix it.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ive had a few where im watching an airport. The default b747-400 would be at the gate waiting to depart and then suddenly full speed along the ground without taxi or takeoff be gone. I got around this by changing from the default b747 and downloaded a true AI model

I have seen it in my FSX and FS9 a lot since I have a lot of AI just part of the program. I think that's why they added "Don't Sink" call out in FSX (Ha!) I believe after 15 minites or so the AI settle down but never completely behave.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Archived