How to edit an aircraft CFG for Takeoff Speed?

DanielJaws

Hi guys,

First post here so be easy on me, I'm hoping one of you know the answer to my problem.

I downloaded a freeware A340 package a while ago and everything is fantastic with it, however it won't takeoff until it reaches around 220-240 knots, which is incredibly unrealistic. Is there any way this can be edited in the aircraft cfg file, or does somebody know how I can change this to be more realistic?

Thanks!

Dan. :pilot:

May not need to edit the .cfg. Have you tried adding 2-3 clicks of elevator trim? If needed, I usually press the NUMPAD 2 key a couple of times. You might be amazed at the difference.

Welcome aboard!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you can give me a download link I'll try flying it and let you know how I get on.

Meanwhile, put in plenty of up elevator trim like Zippy said before you commence your takeoff roll, and also add a touch of down flaps.

I don't know what the A340's takeoff speed is supposed to be, but try waiting til you're doing over about 120 kts before pulling back on the stick so the elevators have something to bite into.

If you pull back too early the nose will raise and add drag which slows you down, and the rear of the fuselage might even scrape the runway, slowing you down even more.

If you can give me a download link I'll try flying it and let you know how I get on.

Meanwhile, put in plenty of up elevator trim like Zippy said before you commence your takeoff roll, and also add a touch of down flaps.

I don't know what the A340's takeoff speed is supposed to be, but try waiting til you're doing over about 120 kts before pulling back on the stick so the elevators have something to bite into.

If you pull back too early the nose will raise and add drag which slows you down, and the rear of the fuselage might even scrape the runway, slowing you down even more.

This is the one I have. http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/6/688

As I said, the model other than that is really good, but the takeoff speeds seem a little ridiculous. Thanks for your help.

One other thing to look at is the weight of your aircraft. If you are trying to lift off with a full load of fuel, you may be grossly overweight. I just tried an A340 that was 29,000lbs overweight and did not have 100% full fuel load.

OK, I have tried your aircraft. It is one heavy-assed turkey! I'm using Borrego Valley airport LO8 with a 5006 foot runway. It's best takeoff there was with 10% fuel in all tanks, flaps in position 2 and max elevator trim. I lifted off the runway very near the end.

If you are using a full fuel load, you will need a very long international runway.

It has plenty of speed for takeoff but has poor flight dynamics. Don't know if changes to the aircraft.cfg will help.

A340.JPG

This was just as the wheels left the ground.

a340 also.JPG

There were 2 download buttons and i didn't know which one to click. I tried one and it said something about a "Resizer" so I gave up on it.

Anyway, Zippy says it's a "heavy-assed turkey" and you can take his word, so your best bet is to delete it and try another freeware version..:)

There were 2 download buttons and i didn't know which one to click. I tried one and it said something about a "Resizer" so I gave up on it.

Anyway, Zippy says it's a "heavy-assed turkey" and you can take his word, so your best bet is to delete it and try another freeware version..:)

Thanks, I needed a good chuckle this morning! Rikooo is not my favorite site and you have to do a few gyrations to start the download, and it was huge because of the many liveries provided. Under normal circumstances using a major airport with long 10,000 foot runways and slightly lower fuel amounts, and proper setup, it should get airborne. I was also using 92% N1, not full throttle.

Archived