Careers in aviation (besides pilot)?

Hi all,

I have a love of aviation and love spending time on FSX. At one point in my life, I was considering becoming a commercial airlines pilot. However, I've come to realize that that lifestyle almost certainly wouldn't be for me (though I still think it's a fantastic job!)

However, I was wondering what other types of career options there may be for someone who loves aviation? I am 26 and currently work in I.T. and enjoy the work I do, but I'm not sure just yet if it gives me the same passion as I have for aviation. So I was just curious what other options might be out there.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions the community has to offer. As always, thank you very much!

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

Mechanic, of course, and various administrative jobs (airport manager, secretary, etc.), dispatcher, are a few possible options. And air traffic controller, meteorologist, avionics technician, aircraft sales, caterer or flight attendant are a few more.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

And numerous airports, especially the larger ones, always need IT techs. If you already have the skills to work IT, why not use to them to get into aviation. Bear in mind, there's a lot more to aviation than airplanes. Ground Support, Test Equipment, Radar you name it. Heck, someone even have to install, maintain and update the computer systems used by ATC, Airlines, at the gates, etc ad nauseam.

I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of someplace like KSFO, whatever. Just a thought.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

There's an almost endless list of jobs in the Aviation Industry. It really depends on if you like getting your hands dirty, or prefer a desk job.

Engineers, Ground Handlers, Caterers; just to name a few, spend the majority of their day up close and amongst the aircraft, where as Operations Control (Flight/Performance Planning, AMCO etc) generally don't actually set foot near an aircraft on a daily basis, but they do coordinate with Flight Crew and Engineers all day long.

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver

And numerous airports, especially the larger ones, always need IT techs. If you already have the skills to work IT, why not use to them to get into aviation. Bear in mind, there's a lot more to aviation than airplanes. Ground Support, Test Equipment, Radar you name it. Heck, someone even have to install, maintain and update the computer systems used by ATC, Airlines, at the gates, etc ad nauseam.

I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of someplace like KSFO, whatever. Just a thought.

Pat☺

Thanks Pat, I never suspected there would be a range of careers available in aviation for people with IT skills. I live just a bit outside New York City, so maybe I'll check out JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark Liberty.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback to this post. I'll reply here if I come up with any additional questions.

Sampa - good luck with your training! I wish you the best!

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

Thanks Pat, I never suspected there would be a range of careers available in aviation for people with IT skills. I live just a bit outside New York City, so maybe I'll check out JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark Liberty.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback to this post. I'll reply here if I come up with any additional questions.

Sampa - good luck with your training! I wish you the best!

Thanks, and hope you find what you are looking for yourself!

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

• 1 month later...

Archived